2018 in India
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 2018 in the Republic of India.
- 1 Incumbents
- 2 Elections
- 3 Events
- 4 Sports
- 5 Deaths
- 6 References
Government of India
Following elections are scheduled to take place in various states of the country
- Meghalaya Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Nagaland Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Mizoram Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Rajasthan Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Karnataka Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- Telangana Legislative Assembly election, 2018
- January 1
- Delhi is engulfed in the worst fog of the season, with visibility dropping to zero. Flight and train services are disrupted.
- The state of Telangana starts providing round-the-clock uninterrupted free power supply to 2.3 million agricultural consumers, becoming the first state in the country to do so.
- January 2
- 290,000 doctors across the country participate in a strike for 12 hours to protest against the National Medical Commission Bill, which seeks to replace the Medical Council of India with National Medical Commission. The Strike is called off mid-way as the government agrees to send the bill to parliamentary standing committee.
- One person is dead after clashes breakout between Dalits and Marathas in Maharashtra during the celebration of 1818 victory of British Indian troops over Baji Rao II at Koregaon Bhima village. Schools and colleges in Mumbai are shut after the violence spreads to the city.Riot police are called in to control the violence. The flames of riots spread all over Maharashtra, people violating public property and stone pelting. Army, Police Force called out, Article 144 imposed in many regions of state.
- Finance minister Arun Jaitley informs the Parliament that crypto-currencies like Bitcoin are not legal tender in the country, as they are not backed by the sovereign. The government has earlier cautioned people not to invest in crypto-currencies, terming them ponzi schemes.
- January 5
- January 6
- 4 policemen are killed in an IED-blast aimed at a patrol unit in Sopore, Jammu and Kashmir.
- A CBI court sentenced RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav to three and half year jail term, convicting 7 others in the fodder scam case in Bihar.
- 11 people are killed in an avalanche in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- January 8
- Law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad states that the government is committed to freedom of the press, amid criticism of press censorship after UIDAI filed an FIR against a journalist of The Tribune for exposing illegal data access to Aadhaar database.
- The annual three-day Flamingo festival starts in Sullurpeta near Chilika Lake, Andhra Pradesh.
- January 9
- January 12
- Indian Space Research Organisation places 31 satellites in orbit through its launch vehicle Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle including a Cartosat-2 series satellite. The launch comes four months after the failure of a PSLV launch.
- In an unprecedented move, four senior-most judges of Supreme Court of India express public displeasure over the functioning of the Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra and call for his impeachment.
- January 21
- President suspended the membership of Vidhan Sabha of 20 MLAs of Delhi Government under the Office of Profit.
- January 26 - 10 heads of state of Association of Southeast Asian Nations countries are expected to be present at the 69th Republic Day functions in New Delhi.
- June 20 – Indian government report warns that 21 cities groundwater will run out by a year 2020.
- August 10 – August 20 – Heavy rainfall causes the 2018 Kerala floods.It is the worst flood to hit the state in a century.
- August 16 – Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee dies at 93.He was the first Indian prime minister who was not a member of the Indian National Congress party to have served a full five-year term in office.
- 10 October - At least five people died and 30 were injured when a passenger train derailed in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Vidarbha beat Delhi by 9 wickets to win their maiden Ranji Trophy.
- Hyderabad Hunters defeat Bengaluru Blasters 4-3 to claim their maiden Premier Badminton League title.
- India national blind cricket team claimed the 2018 Blind Cricket World Cup title by defeating Pakistan in the finals by 2 wickets.
- Indian national cricket team won the ODI Series against South Africa in South Africa in first in History.
- India national under-19 cricket team won the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup held in New Zealand beating Australia in the Final.
- Chennaiyin FC became champions of Indian Super League for second time defeating Bengaluru FC in the final.
- Afghanistan national cricket team is scheduled to play its first International Test Match against India in Bengaluru.
- Indian national cricket team won T20I series against England in England for the first time in History
- 2018 Men's Hockey World Cup is scheduled to be held from November 28 to December 16 at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar.
India vs Australia test series 2018 - Blue men are going to competite against the aggressive Australian, 4 test matches in the series starts this december.
- 2 January - Radha Viswanathan, vocalist and classical dancer, daughter of M. S. Subbulakshmi, 83 
- 4 January - Ulhas Bapat, santoor player, 67 
- 6 January - Kapil Mohan, entrepreneur, Chairman and Managing Director of Mohan Meakin, 88 
- 6 January - Baldev Raj, nuclear physicist, Director of the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam, 70 
- 7 January - Shrivallabh Vyas, Hindi film and television actor, 60 
- 7 January - Saksham Yadav, former powerlifting world champion, 28 
- 12 January - Doodhnath Singh, Hindi writer, critic and poet, 81 
- 14 January - Satnam Singh Kainth, politician, former MLA from Banga Assembly Constituency, former MP from Phillaur, 56 
- 15 January – Ava Mukherjee, Film and television actress (Devdas, Detective Naani), 88
- 15 January - Buddhadev Das Gupta, sarod player, 84 
- 15 January - Raghunath Jha, former Union minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprise in the First Manmohan Singh ministry, 78 
- 15 January - Gnani Sankaran, journalist and writer in Tamil, 64 
- 16 January - Geevarghese Divannasios Ottathengil, Indian Syro-Malankala Catholic prelate, Bishop of Bathery (1996–2010) and Puthur (2010–2017), 67 
- 18 January - Kashinatha Hathwar, actor and director primarily in Kannada, 67 
- 18 January - Chandi Lahiri, journalist, cartoonist at Anandabazar Patrika , 88 
- 19 January - Sriniwas Tiwari, freedom fighter, Speaker of the Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly (1993–2003), 91 
- 20 January - Hasmukh Patel, architect, 84 
- 26 January - Supriya Devi, Veteran Bengali Actress, 85
- 30 January - Chintaman Vanaga, Politician and Member of Parliament from Palghar, 61
- 11 February- Parbati Ghose, 85, Oriya Film Director.
- 24 February- Sridevi,Bollywood Diva,54.
- 28 February - Jagadguru Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya, 82, 69th Shankaracharya Guru.
- 1 March - Arabinda Muduli, 56, Indian musician and Bhajan singer
- 2 March - Khagendra Jamatia, 64, Indian politician.
- 4 March - Javed Abidi, 53, Indian disability rights activist
- 6 March - Shammi, 87, actress
- 6 March - Indra Bahadur Rai, 91, Indian writer.
- 9 March - Patangrao Kadam, 74, Politician from Maharashtra, former Forest Minister in Maharashtra Government.
- 9 March - Pyarelal Wadali, 75, Indian Sufi singer.
- 13 March - Hamida Habibullah, 101, Politician.
- 14 March - Narendra Jha, 55, Actor, Singer.
- 19 March - Kedarnath Singh, 83, poet.
- 27 March - Gangadhar Pantawne, 81, Writer.
- 2 April - Bhai Vaidya, 89, Veteran Socialist Leader, Former Home Minister of Maharashtra state.
- 3 April - S. Madhavan, 84, Politician
- 4 April - Raobail, 80, Indian cartoonist.
- 6 April - Raj Kishore, 85, Indian actor.
- 7 April - Munin Barua, 72, Indian film director.
- 12 April - Naseem Mirza Changezi, 108, Indian independence activist.
- 14 April - Ram Kumar, 94, Indian artist.
- 15 April - Waqar Ahmad Shah, 74, Indian politician.
- 4 May - BN Vijaya Kumar, 60, Politician and MLA from Jayanagar, Karnataka.
- 6 May - Arun Date, 84, Marathi Singer.
- 11 May - Anita Das, 66, Odia actress
- 14 May - E. C. George Sudarshan, 86, Indian theoretical physicist
- 19 May - Jivya Soma Mashe, 84, Indian Warli Tribal Artist.
- 31 May - Pandurang Pundalik Fundkar, 67, Minister of Agriculture in Maharashtra Government.
- 9 June – Shantaram Naik, 72, politician, member of the Rajya Sabha (2005–2017)
- 12 June
- 14 June - Shujaat Bukhari, 63, Journalist. (assassinated)
- 9 July - Kavi Kumar Azad, Actor in Tarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashmah.
- 17 July - Rita Bhaduri, 62, Actress.
- 20 July - Akhtar Raza Khan, 77, Indian Sunni Muslimscholar and mufti.
- 7 August - M. Karunanidhi, 94, former DMK chief and former chief minister of Tamil Nadu.
- 13 August - Somnath Chatterjee, former MP and Speaker of Lok Sabha.
- 14 August - Balram Das Tandon, Governor of Chhattisgarh, former Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab and former Member of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh
- 14 August - Chemmanam Chacko, 92, Malayalam poet.
- 15 August - Ajit Wadekar, 77, cricketer.
- 16 August - Atal Bihari Vajpayee, 93, Former Prime Minister of India.
- 22 August - Gurudas Kamat, 63, politician, Minister of Communications and Information Technology in Government of India.
- 23 August - Kuldip Nayar, 95, Journalist, ex-High Commissioner of India to United Kingdom.
- 24 August - Vijay Chavan, Marathi film and play actor.
- 17 September - Captain Raju, 68, military officer and actor
- 20 October - N. D. Tiwari, 93, politician
- 28 October - Madan Lal Khurana, Former Chief Minister of Delhi, Governor of Rajasthan
- Bureau, ABP News. "Delhi wakes up to season's 'worst fog', trains, flights affected; visibility less than 50 metres". Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "Telangana to get uninterrupted power from today". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "Telangana farmers to get uninterrupted power supply from today". The Hans India. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "IMA Strike".
- "Doctors to observe nation-wide strike on January 2 against the NMC Bill". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2018-01-01. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- Desk, The Hindu Net (2018-01-02). "Doctors withdraw strike after govt. sends NMC Bill to Parliamentary Standing Committee". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "Maharashtra caste clash: Several schools and colleges shut in Mumbai - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- Banerjee, Shoumojit (2018-01-02). "Maharashtra tense a day after clashes during bicentenary celebrations of Koregaon-Bhima battle". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "Pune's Dalit Violence Reaches Mumbai, Riot Police Called In: 10 Updates". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "Bitcoin not a legal tender in India, says Arun Jaitley". The Economic Times. 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- Bureau, Our (2017-12-29). "Cryptocurrencies are a Ponzi scheme, warns FinMin". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2018-01-02.
- "GDP growth may slow down to 6.5% in FY18". The Economic Times. 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "GDP growth seen slowing to 4-year low of 6.5% in 2017-18". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 2018-01-05. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "Blast In Jammu And Kashmir's Sopore, 4 Policemen Killed". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "Lalu Prasad gets 3.5 years in jail, fined Rs 10 lakh in fodder scam case". The Economic Times. 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "11 killed in avalanche in north Kashmir's Kupwara district". www.hindustantimes.com/. 2018-01-06. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "Aadhaar 'data breach': govt. committed to freedom of press, says Ravi Shankar Prasad". The Hindu. PTI. 2018-01-08. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Correspondentnellore, Special (2018-01-08). "3-day Flamingo festival begins at Pulicat area". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Rajagopal, Krishnadas (2018-01-09). "SC modifies order, says playing of national anthem in cinema halls is not mandatory". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- "Isro's PSLV-C40 places Cartosat-2 Series, 30 other satellites in two different orbits - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-01-12.
- Desk, The Hindu Net (2018-01-12). "Live | Four Supreme Court judges complain against 'selective assignment of cases' by CJI". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-01-12.
- "10 ASEAN Leaders to Attend 69th Republic Day as Chief Guests". The Quint. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- "Delhi vs Vidarbha, Final, Ranji Trophy, 2017-18". Cricbuzz. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "Final, Ranji Trophy at Indore, Dec 29 2017 - Jan 1 2018 | Match Report | ESPNCricinfo". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "PBL Final: Hyderabad Hunters beat Bengaluru Blasters 4-3 to lift title, key updates". The Indian Express. 2018-01-14. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Blind Cricket World Cup: India Beat Pakistan by 2 Wickets to Lift Title". News18. 2018-01-20. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- "India beat Pakistan to win Blind Cricket World Cup". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 2018-01-20.
- NDTVSports.com. "FIH allocates 4 major events to India including 2018 World Cup – NDTV Sports". NDTVSports.com. Retrieved 2017-12-26.
- Radha Vishwanathan, daughter of M.S. Subbulakshmi, dies at 83
- Pandit Ulhas Bapat, santoor maestro and close associate of RD Burman, dies at 67
- Kapil Mohan, creator of the iconic Old Monk rum, passes away at 88
- Atomic scientist professor Baldev Raj passes away
- Lagaan actor Shrivallabh Vyas dies at 60
- Five Powerlifters Including World Champion Saksham Yadav Killed In Car Accident in Delhi
- Veteran Hindi writer Doodhnath Singh passes away at 81
- Satnam Kainth, now Punjab Congress VP and BSP’s LoP in 1992, passes away
- "Veteran actor Ava Mukherjee, who played Shah Rukh Khan's grandmother in Devdas, dies at 88". Hinudstan Times. 2018-01-17. Archived from the original on 2018-02-02. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- Sarod player Buddhadev Dasgupta dies in Kolkata
- Former Union Minister Raghunath Jha passes away in Delhi
- Veteran journalist and writer Gnani Sankaran passes away
- Bishop Geevarghese Divannasios Ottathengil
- Veteran Kannada actor Kashinath passes away in Bengaluru
- Legendary cartoonist Chandi Lahiri passes away
- India, Press Trust of (19 January 2018). "Former MP Assembly Speaker Sriniwas Tiwari no more" – via Business Standard.
- Architect Hasmukh Patel dies at 84
- "veteran marathi literature gangadhar pantawane passes away- Maharashtra Times". Maharashtra Times. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- Noted artist Ram Kumar passes away
- "Veteran actor Anita Das passes away". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Kalaignar bids goodbye: One of TN's last tall leaders, M Karunanidhi passes away". The News Minute. 2018-08-07. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "DMK Chief M Karunanidhi, 5-time Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, No More| Live Updates". News18. 2018-08-07. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Veteran parliamentarian Somnath Chatterjee dies at 89:10 things to know". The Times of India. 2018-08-13. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- Bureau, Kochi (2018-08-15). "Chemmanam Chacko dead". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 15 August 2018.