2018 in Israel
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 2018|
List of years in Israel
Timeline of the region of Palestine
Timeline of Israeli history
The following lists events in the year 2018 in Israel.
- President – Reuven Rivlin
- Prime Minister – Benjamin Netanyahu
- Chief of General Staff – Gadi Eizenkot
- Government of Israel – 34th government of Israel
- 2 January – Israel announces plans to deport African migrants who reside in the country illegally, with 90 days given to either leave the country or face imprisonment.
- 5 February – 2018 Ariel stabbing
- 9–25 February – Israel at the 2018 Winter Olympics
- 10 February – 2018 Israel–Syria incident
- 30 March – Start of the 2018 Gaza border protests
- 26 April – Ten youths from a pre-military academy died after they were carried off by a surge in the Tzafit stream west of the Dead Sea amid floodings caused by intense storms that hit southern Israel.
- 30 April – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accuses Iran of not holding up its end of the nuclear deal with the P5+1 countries after presenting a cache over 100,000 documents detailing the extent of Iran's nuclear program. Iran denounced Netanyahu's presentation as "propaganda". Shortly after President Trump withdrew the United States from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- 4–27 May – 2018 Giro d'Italia
- 10 May – Iran's Quds Force on the Syrian-held side of the Golan Heights fired around 20 projectiles towards Israeli army positions without causing damages or injuries. In response, Israel launched an extensive strike against Iranian targets in Syria.
- 12 May – Netta Barzilai wins the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 for Israel with her song "Toy".
- 14 May – The new embassy of the United States opens in Jerusalem.
- 23 May – The Knesset passed a law allowing the Security Cabinet to declare war.
- June 21 – Sara Netanyahu, wife of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, was charged for an alleged fraud.
- June 25 – Prince William began a trip to Israel and the Palestinian territories, becoming the first British royal to visit the country in an official capacity.
- July 12 – Start of the 2018 World Lacrosse Championship in Netanya
- July 19 – Israel incorporated in its basic laws a declaration of the country as the "nation-state of the Jewish people."
- September 17 – Syria missile strikes
- November 11 – November Gaza–Israel clashes
- December 4 – The Israeli military launched Operation Northern Shield to destroy cross-border tunnels built by Hezbollah along Israel's border with Lebanon.
- 4 January – Aharon Appelfeld, novelist (b. 1932)
- 13 January – Eliyahu Winograd, Israeli jurist and acting judge on the Supreme Court of Israel, chairman of the Winograd Commission (b. 1926)
- 20 January – Doron Rubin, military officer (b. 1944)
- 31 January – Dan Alon, fencer (b. 1945)
- 18 February – Ya'akov Ben-Yezri, Israeli politician, Minister of Health (b. 1927)
- 24 February – Shmuel Auerbach, Israeli Haredi rabbi and posek (b. 1931)
- 5 March – Uri Lubrani, Israeli diplomat (b. 1926)
- 23 March – Ephraim Stern, archaeologist (b. 1934).
- 24 March – Rim Banna, singer, composer and activist (b. 1966)
- 24 March – Frank Meisler, architect and sculptor (b. 1925).
- 1 April – Avichai Rontzki, Israeli military Rabbi and rosh yeshiva (b. 1951)
- 4 May – Abi Ofarim, musician (b. 1937)
- 20 August – Uri Avnery, peace activist (b. 1923)
- 30 October – David Azulai, politician (b. 1954)
- 7 December – Shmuel Flatto-Sharon, businessman and politician (b. 1930)
- "Israel: African migrants told to leave or face imprisonment". 2018-01-02. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "TEN YOUTH DEAD IN SOUTHERN ISRAEL FLASH FLOODS". Jerusalem Post.
- "Netanyahu: Iran Nuclear Deal Is Based on Lies – Here's the Proof". Haaretz.
- "Trump pulls US out of Iran deal". BBC News. 2018-05-08. Retrieved 2018-05-20.
- "PROJECTILES FIRED TOWARDS ISRAELI FORWARD DEFENSIVE LINE IN THE GOLAN". Jerusalem Post. 10 May 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
Chamberlain, Samuel (9 May 2018). "Iran forces launch missiles at Israel from Syria, IDF says". Fox News. Associated Press. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Judah Ari Gross (10 May 2018). "'Operation House of Cards,' the IAF mission to cripple Iran's presence in Syria". Times of Israel. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- Netta Barzilai brings Eurovision win to Israel, Ynet News, 13 May 2018.
- Israeli joy, Palestinian fury over U.S. embassy launch in Jerusalem, Reuters, 14 May 2018.
- Security Cabinet now authorized to declare war, Ynet News, 23 May 2018.
- "Sara Netanyahu, wife of Israeli PM, charged with fraud". NBC News. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- "Prince William in Israel: All the Details on the First-ever Royal Visit". Haaretz. 2018-06-25.
- New York Times: Israeli Law Declares the Country the ‘Nation-State of the Jewish People’
- "Israel targets Hezbollah 'terror tunnels'". BBC News. 4 December 2018.
- "Décès de l'écrivain israélien Aharon Appelfeld, survivant de la Shoah". lemonde.fr (in French). Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- פרופ' אפרים שטרן הלך לעולמו (in Hebrew)
- Famous Israeli Sculptor Meisler Dies at 89