2018 in Myanmar
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Events in the year 2018 in Myanmar.
- President: Htin Kyaw (until March 21), Win Myint (starting March 30)
- State Counsellor: Aung San Suu Kyi
- First Vice President: Myint Swe
- Second Vice President: Henry Van Thio
- 5 January – A military convoy was ambushed in Turaing, Rakhine State, by the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army. Seven people were wounded.
- 16 January – Rakhine protesters rioted near a government building in the town of Mrauk U, in Rakhine State, Myanmar, after a ban was issued by local authorities on an event that commemorated the anniversary of the Kingdom of Mrauk U's dissolution. In response to protesters attempting to seize the government building, police fired live ammunition into the crowd, killing seven and wounding twelve.
- 21 February – a bomb exploded between two banks in Lashio, Shan State, killing two employees of Yoma Bank and injuring 22 others.
- 24 February – three bombs exploded around Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine State, injuring two people.
- 21 March – Htin Kyaw resigned from his position as President of Myanmar due to ill health.
- 21 March - Myint Swe became the Acting President of Myanmar.
- 30 March – Win Myint became the 10th President of Myanmar.
- 2 January – Yell Htwe Aung, comedian, actor, and model (b. 1993)
- 5 April – Saw O Moo, environmental activist (b. 1975)
- 13 October – U Thuzana, Theravada Buddhist monk and leader of the DKBA (b. 1947)
- "Seven Wounded in Landmine Blast on Military Vehicle in Myanmar's Rakhine State". Radio Free Asia. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Insurgents attack Myanmar soldiers in Rakhine state, wounding six". The Japan Times. 7 January 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- Aung Khine, Min (4 April 2018). "Rakhine Field Investigation Delayed Months after Deadly Mrauk-U Incident". The Irrawaddy. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- Betty Han, Naw. "Former administrative officer of troubled Mrauk-U killed". The Myanmar Times. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- Thar, Chan (24 January 2018). "Rakhines seek impartial probe of Mrauk-U riot". The Myanmar Times. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "7 ethnic Rakhine killed as Myanmar police open fire at riot: Official". The Straits Times. 17 January 2018. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Aung, Thu Thu; Naing, Shoon (2018). "Two dead, 22 hurt from bomb blast in northeast Myanmar city Lashio". Reuters. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- "Blasts rock city in north-west Myanmar". BBC News. 24 February 2018. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "Facebook celebrity dies after attack at NYE party". elevenmyanmar.com. Retrieved 21 January 2018.