2018 in Poland
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Events from the year 2018 in Poland.
- President – Andrzej Duda (independent, supported by Law and Justice)
- Prime Minister – Mateusz Morawiecki (Law and Justice)
- Marshal of the Sejm – Marek Kuchciński (Law and Justice)
- Marshal of the Senate – Stanisław Karczewski (Law and Justice)
- 28 January - both chambers of the Polish parliament (Sejm and Senate) adopted an Amendment to the Act on the Institute of National Remembrance criminalizing the attribution of German war crimes and condemning use of the expression "Polish death camp" (see "Polish death camp" controversy).
- 11 March - A new Polish law banning almost all trade on Sundays has taken effect, with large supermarkets and most other retailers closed for the first time since liberal shopping laws were introduced in the 1990s. The Law and Justice party, whose lawmakers passed the legislation with the support of Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki.
- 28 May – Kremlin warns that United States put military pressure in European Union security at risk. Dmitry Peskov said in statement, “When we see the gradual expansion of NATO military structures towards our borders..., this of course in no way creates security and stability on the continent".
Predicted and scheduled events
- "Polish president holds talks with Trump at Davos". Polskie Radio dla Zagranicy. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Grzymala-Busse, Anna (12 December 2017). "Poland's right-wing government has a new prime minister. Here are the 5 things you need to know". Washington Post. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia". www.parliament.am. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Senate of the Republic of Poland / Senators / List of Senators". www.senat.gov.pl. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Israel and Poland try to tamp down tensions after Poland’s ‘death camp’ law sparks Israeli outrage, Washington Post, 28 January 2018
- Israel and Poland clash over proposed Holocaust law, Reuters, 28 January 2018
- The Controversy Around Poland’s Proposed Ban on the Term “Polish Death Camps”, Smithsonian.com, 29 January 2018
- "US missile defence shield to be in Poland by 2018". neurope.eu. Retrieved 11 August 2014.