2018 in Singapore
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Events in the year 2018 in Singapore.
- 26 March - Uber declared to withdraw from Southeast Asia to end a war of attrition with a fierce local rival and has agreed to sell its Southeast Asian operations to Grab. Under the agreement, Grab will acquire all of Uber's operations in a region of 620 million people, including food delivery service UberEats. 
- 9 May - The Jurong Region Line is officially unveiled at Canberra MRT Station, a fully elevated line running for 24km with 24 stations. It will be completed in stages from 2026 to 2028, which will serve areas like Tengah, NTU, Boon Lay, Jurong, Jurong Pier, and Pandan Reservoir.
- 1 June - The CBD was hit by a blackout that started at about 2.40pm. The blackout lasted for about 34 minutes and affected 3,156 customers. Investigations reveal that maintenance works were responsible for the outage.
- 12 June – Singapore hosted the first summit meeting between the leaders of the United States and North Korea.
- 25 June - oBike ceases operations in Singapore. 2 more shared bike operators follow suit after introduction of strict rules.
- 28 June - Singapore's 3rd desalination plant; the Tuas Desalination Plant opens. It is the first to be operated wholly by PUB.
- 4 July - Personal particulars of some 1.5 million SingHealth patients were illegally accessed and copied in one of the largest cyber-attack to occur in Singapore. Also, outpatient medication data of some 160,000 patients was compromised, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, who was specifically targeted by hackers. The data breach was confirmed on 10 July and announced by the Ministry of Health on 20 July.
- 18 September - Island-wide blackout struck Singapore at 1:29am. SP Group responsible for supplying electricity reported that the power outage lasted 38 minutes affecting 146,797 households and businesses at Boon Lay, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi, Jurong, Pandan Loop, Aljunied, Geylang, Tanjong Rhu, Mountbatten, Kembangan, Bedok, East Coast, Ang Mo Kio, Bishan, Thomson, Mandai, Admiralty, Sembawang and Woodlands. It added that preliminary investigation revealed that the failure stemmed from partial loss of supply from two power generation units.
- 13 November — The 33rd ASEAN Summit was held in Singapore. The leaders of the participating countries will seek to further promote ASEAN integration and community building under the framework of multilateralism cooperation with the theme of "resilience and innovation". 7th of Premier of the People’s Republic of China, Li Keqiang also joined this summit.
- 6 November to 2 December — A string of four food poisoning cases of happened throughout the month, all of which involved in handling food from a local catering service. A combined 444 patrons from the four cases fell ill after eating the food, among which 81 (including one fatality) were from the Spize restaurant at a Deepavali celebration on November 6, 190 were from an Singapore Civil Defence Force event on 23 November, 131 were from a school camp event on 26 November, and 42 were from a lunch banquet held in the Mandarin Oriential Hotel on 2 December. It became one of the worst mass food poisoning cases in Singapore since the 2009's Geylang Serai's rojak incident.  In a response, the National Environment Agency consequently suspend the licenses of two catering services Spize and TungLoh, after being involved in the mass food poisoning case.
- 7 December - In an investigation following the mass food poisoning occurred in November, National Environment Agency terminate the license of one of four outlets of Spize restaurant (River Valley outlet) after discovering the food that consumed by the 81 patrons (from the Deepavali celebration) contained salmonella inside the contaminated food, as well as lapses in food hygiene, according to NEA and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA). A joint statement by MOH, AVA and NEA further revealed that 82 reported cases out of 221 people who consumed the food from seven other incidents linked to the outlet between November 6 and 9, were prepared on the site.
- 31 December - Analog television will cease operation as Singapore completes its digital switchover.
- "Uber sells South East Asia business to Grab". BBC News. 26 March 2018. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Jurong Region Line, Singapore's 7th MRT line, to open in three phases from 2026". The Straits Times. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- "CBD hit by massive blackout on Friday afternoon". The Straits Times. 1 June 2018. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "CBD blackout caused by maintenance work: SP Group". The Straits Times. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "PM Lee congratulates Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un on successful conclusion of summit". Channel NewsAsia. 12 June 2018. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "oBike stops operations in Singapore, cites difficulties meeting new LTA regulations". Channel NewsAsia. 25 June 2018. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Singapore opens third desalination plant in Tuas". The Straits Times. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Mandarin Orchard food poisoning: Main ballroom banquets halted, guest reports second outbreak". ChannelNewsAsia. 5 Dec 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Food poisoning: Can you really avoid it?". Channel NewsAsia. Nov 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Bug behind recent food poisoning cases?". Straits Times. Nov 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "131 people down with gastroenteritis after consuming food from FoodTalks". Straits Times. 26 Nov 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "NEA suspends licence of TungLok Catering after 190 at SCDF event fall ill". Straits Times. 26 Nov 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Another major case of food poisoning, this time involving 131 kindergarten students and teachers". TheOnlineCitizen. 29 Nov 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "NEA terminates Spize restaurant's River Valley outlet licences following fatal food poisoning outbreak". Channel NewsAsia. 7 Dec 2018. Retrieved 7 Dec 2018.
- "Deadline for end of analogue TV broadcast extended to end-2018: IMDA". Channel NewsAsia. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Football: Fandi Ahmad leads tributes for local football legend Majid Ariff". straitstimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- Veteran political cartoonist Morgan Chua dies at 68
- "Old Guard minister Jek Yeun Thong dies at 88; 'a deep loss to the nation', says PM Leewebsite = todayonline.com". Retrieved 14 June 2018.