2018 in comics
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in comics|
|Before the 1900s|
|1930 · 1931 · 1932 · 1933 · 1934 · 1935 · 1936 · 1937 · 1938 · 1939|
|1940 · 1941 · 1942 · 1943 · 1944 · 1945 · 1946 · 1947 · 1948 · 1949|
|1950 · 1951 · 1952 · 1953 · 1954 · 1955 · 1956 · 1957 · 1958 · 1959|
|1960 · 1961 · 1962 · 1963 · 1964 · 1965 · 1966 · 1967 · 1968 · 1969|
|1970 · 1971 · 1972 · 1973 · 1974 · 1975 · 1976 · 1977 · 1978 · 1979|
|1980 · 1981 · 1982 · 1983 · 1984 · 1985 · 1986 · 1987 · 1988 · 1989|
|1990 · 1991 · 1992 · 1993 · 1994 · 1995 · 1996 · 1997 · 1998 · 1999|
|2000 · 2001 · 2002 · 2003 · 2004 · 2005 · 2006 · 2007 · 2008 · 2009|
|2010 · 2011 · 2012 · 2013 · 2014 · 2015 · 2016 · 2017 · 2018 · 2019|
Notable events of 2018 in comics. See also List of years in comics.
This is a list of comics-related events in 2018. It includes any relevant comics-related events, deaths of notable comics-related people, conventions and first issues by title.
This literature-related list is incomplete; you can help by .
- February 13: A legal declaration on behalf of Stan Lee's attorney Tom Lallas accuses Lee's daughter, Joan Boocock Lee, and attorneys Jerry Olivarez, Keya Morgan and Kirk Schenck of "continuing attempts to control Lee's life and exercise undue influence ove his property, assets and business affairs."  In April Lee is however filmed denying the accusations, yet confirming that he signed the statement, despite not being able to properly read it due to macular degeneration.
- February 16: Stan Lee's tour manager, Max Anderson, is removed by the police for aggressive behaviour towards Lee. The report is filed by Keya Morgan and denied by Anderson.
- February 18: Guy Gilchrist quits drawing Nancy after continuing the series for 22 years.
- March 18: During an episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver John Oliver presents the book A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss, illustrated by Gerald Kelley under the pseudonym E.G. Keller, a parody of Charlotte Pence's Marlon Bundo's: A Day in the Life of the Vice President, illustrated by Karen Pence. Both books are about U.S. Vice President Mike Pence's pet rabbit Marlon Bundo, but the one presented during Oliver's show has a LGBT themed story and is a satire on Mike Pence's controversial homophobic policies.
- April 9: Olivia Jaimes continues Nancy.
- April 13: Stan Lee files a lawsuit against his former manager Jerardo Olivarez, alleging fraud, financial abuse of an elder and misappropriation of his name and likeness.
- April 18: Action Comics #1000 released.
- May 15: Stan Lee sues POW! Entertainment for "manufacturing a fraudulent intellectual property agreement, which granted POW! the exclusive right to use Lee's name, identity, image and likeness on a worldwide basis in perpetuity".
- June 13: Stan Lee's former business manager Keya Morgan is arrested for filing a false report of an emergency and two counts of filing a false report of a crime, along with a probation violation. Two days later a restraining order is filed against him too. He denies the accusations.
- June 26: Bill Morrison becomes executive editor of Mad.
- August 6: In Ghent, Belgium cartoonist Mauro Padovani and his husband Thomas become victim of gay bashing. They have to be brought to a hospital. The culprits are later arrested.
- August 10: In an interview Stan Lee confirms that he made some bad decisions regarding his financial matters, but denies any bad relations with his daughter.
- September 28: French comics artist Bastien Vivès causes controversy with the graphic novel Petit Paul, about a ten-year old boy who is stalked for his huge penis by adult women. A petition is signed to ban the book, which some stores effectively do.
- January 8: Ron Tandberg, Australian cartoonist and comics artist (Fred and Others), dies at age 74.
- January 18: Mark Campos, American alternative comics artist (Places That Are Gone), commits suicide at age 55.
- January 18: Chandi Lahiri, Indian cartoonist, dies at age 86.
- January 24: Jan Steeman, Dutch comics artist (Roel Dijkstra, Noortje), dies at age 74.
- January 25: Torvald Sundbaum, Swedish comics artist (continued Buster Perk, worked for the Swedish edition of Mad Magazine, made a comics version of the radio series Osynliga Klubben), dies at age 89.
- January 27: Mort Walker, American comics writer/creator (Hi and Lois, Beetle Bailey, Sam's Strip, Mrs. Fits' Flats, The Evermores, Gamin and Patches) and artist (Beetle Bailey, Boner's Ark), dies at age 94.
- February 22: Forges, Spanish film director, television director and cartoonist (Blasillo, La Foca Concha and Romerales), dies at age 76 from pancreatic cancer.
- February 25: Howard Sparber, American painter, sculptor and comics artist (Timmmy, Crax and Jax, The Byrd House, Trix of the Trade), dies at age 97.
- February 27: William Gezzio, Uruguayan comics artist (Charoná, Campito, Humornautas), dies at age 73.
- March 25: Fred Boatman, American cartoonist and graphic artist (made cartoons for CARtoons), passes away at age 83.
- March 26: Lee Holley, American comics artist (Ponytail, assisted on Dennis the Menace and Looney Tunes comics), dies at age 84 in an airplane crash.
- Specific date unknown: Gérald Gorridge, French comics artist (Histoire Sans Titre, Olycka, La Dame de Lettonie, Les Tristes Conséquences d'un Échec du Sire de Bougainville), dies at age 60.
- April 8: Gunnar Persson, Swedish comics artist (Gus, continued Kronblom, created the spin-off Ur Klackamo Dagbok), dies at age 85 after injuries from a fall.
- April 10: F'murr, French comics artist (Le Génie des alpages), dies at age 72.
- April 18: Pino Rinaldi, Italian comics artist (continued Martin Mystère and worked for Marvel Comics), dies from pancreatic cancer at the age of 60.
- May 14: William Vance, Belgian comics artist (Bruno Brazil, Bob Morane, XIII), passes away at age 82 from Parkinson's disease.
- May 18: Antonio Lupatelli aka Tony Wolf, Oda Taro, L'Alpino and Antony Moore, Italian illustrator, writer and comics artist (Ciccio Sprai, Robi e Robo, continued Hayawatha, Freddie Frog, Fun in Toyland, Little Sooty, Moony Moon, illustrated The Woodland Folk book series and the Pingu, Pandi and Teddy the Bear book adaptations), passes away at age 88.
- May 18: Fred Peters, American animator and comics artist (EC Comics), dies at age 95.
- May 27: Julio Ribera, aka Jules McSide, aka Bop, Spanish comics artist (Le Vagabond des Limbes (The Vagabond of Limbo), Le Grand Manque, Le Grand Scandale, Dracurella, Montserrat), passes away at age 91.
- June 2: Nick Meglin, American comics writer, theatre lyricist, screenwriter and editor-in-chief (Mad Magazine, Superfan), passes away from a heart attack at age 82.
- June 11: Rumen Petkov, Bulgarian animator and comics artist (Choko & Boko), passes away at age 70.
- June 28: Harlan Ellison, American novelist; screenwriter and comics writer (EC Comics), dies at age 82.
- June 29: Steve Ditko, American comics artist (Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Hawk and Dove, The Creeper, Shade, the Changing Man, Mr. A, The Question), dies at age 90.
- July 5: Pepe Ferré, Spanish comics artist (Comicon S.L., Disney comics, Rolf Kauka comics, Egmont-Ehapa), dies at the age of 69.
- July 13: Frank Giroud, French comics writer (Louis la Guigne, Louis Ferchot, Mandrill, the Décalogue trilogy.), passes away at age 62.
- July 20: Jeff Hook, Australian cartoonist (Jeff's View), dies at age 89.
- August 1: Luigi Corteggi, aka Cortez, Italian art director, painter, illustrator and comics artist (created covers for Sergio Bonelli comics, continued Ken Parker, Mister No, Martin Mystère, Alan Ford and Dylan Dog), dies at age 85.
- August 5: John Blair Moore, American cartoonist and comics artist (Invaders From Home, Disney comics, Live Bait - The Chronicles of Drumf), dies at age 69 or 70.
- August 21: Vincino, Italian cartoonist and journalist, dies at age 73.
- August 23: Russ Heath, American comic book artist and animator (Men of War, G.I. Combat, assisted on Terry and the Pirates, Flash Gordon, Little Annie Fanny), dies at age 91 from cancer.
- August 30: Gary Friedrich, American comics writer (Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, The Monster of Frankenstein, co-creator of Ghost Rider and Son of Satan), dies at age 75.
- August 30: Marie Severin, American comics artist and colorist (EC Comics, Not Brand Echh, co-creator of the visual look of Spider-Woman), dies at age 89.
- September 6: Edouard Aidans, aka Jok, Joke, Delcroix and Hardan, Belgian comics artist (Bob Binn, Tounga, Marc Franval, Les Panthères, La Toile et la Dague, Tony Stark, continued Bernard Prince, Les Saintes Nitouches), dies at age 88.
- September 7: Carlos Ceesepe, Spanish painter, illustrator and comics artist, dies at age 60 from leukemia.
- September 24: Norm Breyfogle, 58, American comic book artist (Batman, Prime), complications from a stroke.
- September 30: René Pétillon, French political cartoonist and comics artist (Jack Palmer, Docteur Miracle, Le Baron Noir), passes away at age 72.
- September 30: Carlos Ezquerra, Spanish comics artist (Judge Dredd), dies at age 70.
- October 2: Hermenegildo Sábat, Uruguayan-Argentine comics artist, journalist, jazz musician and caricaturist, dies at age 85.
- October 7: Gibba, Italian animator and comics artist, dies at age 93.
- October 13: Nesten, Belgian caricaturist and painter, dies at age 71 from cancer.
- October 17: Leone Frollo, Italian comics artist (Biancaneve), dies at age 87.
- October 18: Anthea Bell, British translator (co-translator of Astérix, Blueberry (comics), Iznogoud, Le Petit Nicolas), dies at age 82.
- October 23: Roberto Renzi, Italian comics artist (Tiramolla, Akim), dies at age 95.
- October 31: Enzo Apicella, Italian cartoonist, dies at age 95.
- November 11: Jack Tremblay, Canadian comics artist (Crash Carson), dies at age 92.
- November 12: Stan Lee, American comic-book writer, editor, film executive producer, actor, and publisher (Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four, Thor, X-Men, The Avengers, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Hawkeye, The Silver Surfer), dies at 95.
- November 15: Mike Noble, British comics artist (The Twins Simon and Sally, worked on comics based on TV series, among them Fireball XL5), dies at age 88.
- November 15: Werner Wejp-Olsen, Danish-American comics artist (Peter og Perle, Felix, Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz, Granny and Slowpoke, The Tales of Hans Christian Andersen), dies at age 80.
- November 19: Larry Pickering, Australian cartoonist and caricaturist, dies at age 76.
- November 26: Stephen Hillenburg, American comics artist and animator (The Intertidal Zone, SpongeBob Squarepants), dies at age 57.
First issues by title
- Doctor Strange: Damnation
- Released February by Marvel Comics. Writers: Donny Cates and Nick Spencer Artist: Rod Reis
- X-Men Red
- Released February by Marvel Comics. Writer: Tom Taylor Artist: Mahmud Asrar
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Released April by IDW Publishing. Writer: Ian Flynn Artist: Tracy Yardley
- Schmitt, Brad (January 2, 2018). "'Nancy' comic strip's Guy Gilchrist to step away after 22 years of Sluggo-ing it out". The Tennessean. Retrieved January 9, 2018.
- Oliver, John (March 18, 2018). Mike Pence. HBO. Retrieved March 18, 2018 – via YouTube.
- Rosen, Christopher (March 19, 2018). "John Oliver's gay bunny 'Marlon Bundo' book is now No. 1 on Amazon". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- "Guy Gilchrist". lambiek.net.
- "Ron Tandberg". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Mark Campos". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Iconic cartoonist Chandi Lahiri passes away". The Times of India, 19 January 2018. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Cartoonist Chandi Lahiri passes away". The Indian Express, 19 January 2018. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "কার্টুনিস্ট চণ্ডী লাহিড়ী প্রয়াত (Cartoonist Chandi Lahiri dead)". (in Bengali). Ananda Bazar Patrika, 19 January 2018. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "Jan Steeman". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Torvald Sundbaum". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Mort Walker". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Muere Forges, genial dibujante de medio siglo de historia de España (in Spanish)
- "Forges". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Howard Sparber". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "William Gezzio". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Fred Boatman". lambiek.net.
- "Lee Holley". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Gérald Gorridge". lambiek.net. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Gunnar Persson". lambiek.net.
- "F'murr". lambiek.net.
- "Pino Rinaldi". lambiek.net.
- Russ Heath Passes Away at 91
- Ghost Rider Co-Creator Gary Friedrich Passes Away
- Artist Norm Breyfogle Passes Away at Age 58
- Muere el dibujante zaragozano Carlos Ezquerra, co-creador de 'Judge Dredd' (in Spanish)
- Morto Roberto Renzi, papà di 'Tiramolla' (in Italian)
- È morto il giornalista e vignettista Vincenzo Apicella (in Italian)
- "Cartoonist Larry Pickering dies aged 76", The Australian. Retrieved 19 November 2018.