2018 in rail transport
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that are currently scheduled to occur in 2018. Please be aware that the actual dates that these events occur on may differ substantially from what is shown here.
- January 4 – 2018 Kroonstad train crash.
- January 13 – Opening of Phase 1 (South Florida) portion of Brightline higher-speed rail in Florida.
- January 25 – Pioltello train derailment: At least three people are killed and over 100 injured in a train derailment near Milan, Italy.
- January 31 – 2018 Crozet, Virginia train crash.
- January 31 – The first Class 331 EMU for Northern Rail in the United Kingdom is unveiled at the CAF factory in Zaragoza.
- February 4 – An Amtrak passenger train collides with a freight train at Cayce, South Carolina and is derailed; two people are killed.
- February 23 – China Railway Corporation reports that 12.2 million passenger trips were taken on the company's trains on Thursday, February 22, 2018, setting a new record for services following the Spring Festival holiday. Known as 'Chunyun,' the travel rush around the holiday is the busiest time for rail travel on the network every year.
- March 13 – Citing infrastructure age and maintenance, Broadmoor, the operator of the Manitou and Pike's Peak Railway, announces that the railway will remain closed for 2018, and could possibly not reopen.
- March 16 – Opening of the Lynx Blue Line Extension in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- April 4 – Introduction of through Eurostar passenger services between London (St Pancras International) and Amsterdam (Centraal).
- May 1 – Opening of KTM's Skypark Link.
- May 9 – Re-opening of London Bridge Station which officially concludes the Thameslink Programme, separating the Brighton Main Line from the Southeastern Main Line
- May 26 – Opening of Bay Area Rapid Transit's eBART line.
- June 16 – Opening of Taipei Metro Circular Line (First Section).
- June 16 – Opening of the Hartford Line, a commuter rail line between New Haven, Connecticut and Springfield, Massachusetts via Hartford, Connecticut.
- – The Confederation Line is scheduled to open as part of the O-Train network in Ottawa, Ontario.
- – Gimpo Goldline scheduled to open in Seoul.
- – Expected opening of Milwaukee Streetcar.
- December 26 – Scheduled opening of the Central Subway in San Francisco, though delays are possible.
- December 31 – Expected opening of TEXRail.
- – Ion rapid transit LRT scheduled to open.
- – Completion of the centre section of the London Crossrail scheme.
- – Expected opening of the Oklahoma City Streetcar in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Unknown date events
- – Possible opening of Aarhus Letbane extension south to Odder.
- – Approximate expected completion of the first new railway in Croatia in 50 years, from Gradec to Sveti Ivan Žabno.
- – Expected opening of Line 3 in the Guadalajara light rail system.
- – Opening of Toluca–Mexico City commuter rail.
- – The Thameslink Programme in London is expected to be completed.
- – Expected opening of the Delmar Loop Trolley in St. Louis and University City, Missouri.
- – Expected opening of the FasTracks commuter rail G Line in Denver, Colorado.
- – Expected opening of the N Line commuter rail in Denver, Colorado, though delays are possible.
- – Expected opening of SunRail Phase 2 South extension to Poinciana, Florida.
- – Expected opening of the Berryessa segment of the Silicon Valley BART extension.
- March 4 – Sir William McAlpine, 6th Baronet, British businessman and railway enthusiast (born 1936).
- Brightline begins passenger operations International Railway Journal January 15, 2018
- BBC. The Guardian. Reuters.
- Clinnick, Richard (January 31, 2018). "Northern unveils its first new CAF-built train". Rail Magazine.
- Mosbergen, Dominique (2018-02-04). "Amtrak Train Derails After Collision In South Carolina; Fatalities Reported". HuffPost. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- "China's railway trips hit record high as holiday ends". Xinhua. February 23, 2018. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Morrison, Holly (March 13, 2018). "Pikes Peak Cog Railway to remain closed for remainder of 2018". News 13. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Falcone, Bob (March 16, 2018). "Cog Railway closure could impact recreation on Pikes Peak". Colorado Springs Independent. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Charlotte announces opening date for light rail expansion". The News & Observer. 9 January 2018. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- Barrow, Keith (2016-10-12). "Eurostar Amsterdam timetable emerges". International Railway Journal. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "The Duke of Cambridge to open London Bridge Station".
- "East Contra Costa BART Extension (eBART)". BART. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "CTrail Hartford Line Rail Service Scheduled to Launch June 16; Commemorative Inaugural Event to be Held Friday, June 15" (Press release). Connecticut Department of Transportation. April 17, 2018. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "City to open LRT by the end of November". Ottawa Citizen.
- Deffenbaugh, Carl (14 May 2018). "2nd streetcar vehicle for The Hop arrives in Milwaukee: 'Pretty cool watching the progress'". FOX6Now. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "Central Subway Project" (PDF). SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Rodriguez, Joe Fitzgerald (10 July 2017). "Central Subway project faces up to 10-month delay". San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- Dickson, Gordon (22 May 2018). "TEXRail is test-running trains in Colleyville, North Richland Hills". Star Telegram. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- Weidner, Johanna (April 13, 2018). "No LRT service until December". Waterloo Region Record. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Leftly, Mark (29 August 2010). "Crossrail delayed to save £1bn". The Independent on Sunday. London.
- "Aarhus light rail to open in September". Metro Report International. 2017-05-03. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "What to do, Where to go in 2018". Today's Railways Europe (265). January 2018.
- "Tuneladora ve la luz en avenida Revolución" [Tunneling to the light in Revolución Avenue]. El Informador en Facebook (in Spanish). Guadalajara, Jalisco. 22 August 2017. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Work begins on Thameslink project". BBC News. 2007-10-24. Archived from the original on March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Live Rail December 2010 p. 208.
- Schlinkmann, Mark (November 13, 2017). "Mid-winter opening now predicted for Loop Trolley". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- Paul, Jesse (2016-11-18). "RTD will not open G-Line or R-Line before end of year as planned". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Milpitas, Berryessa BART stations may not open until 2019". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
VTA officials . . . are now saying the opening looks closer to January or even March next year.