2018 wildfire season
|2018 wildfire season|
Wildfire prediction for the United States
The 2018 wildfire season involves wildfires on multiple continents. An extremely rare event occurred when wildfires broke out north of the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia, with one burning on the Russia–Finland border near the Barents Sea on July 20. By the end of the calendar year, the fires in British Columbia had burned more area than in any prior recorded year; and California experienced the single largest (by area) fire on record, and a fire destroyed more structures than in any other in modern history. Similarly, the UK saw the most wildfires ever recorded in a single year, at 76.
List of wildfires
Events during the season include the following:
A U.S. national state of emergency was declared on July 28 due to the California fires, which had killed at least six people. In August, the Mendocino Complex Fire became the second largest fire in California history and the Mendocino Complex Fire became the state's largest.
Fires in British Columbia were the second worst in the history of the province, with over 945 square kilometres (234,000 acres) burned.
- 2018 British Columbia wildfires
- 2018 California wildfires
- 2018 Montana wildfires
- 2018 Nevada wildfires
- 2018 Oregon wildfires
- 2018 Utah wildfires
- 2018 Washington wildfires
- Scarcely Seen Scandinavian Fires, NASA Earth Observatory, July 17, 2018
- "Current Statistics". bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- Alexander, Kurtis; Ravani, Sarah; Allday, Erin (November 10, 2018). "Camp Fire is most destructive wildfire in California history: 9 dead, 6,713 structures incinerated". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- Thomas Fuller, Jennifer Medina and Jose A. Del Real (November 9, 2018), ""The Whole World Was on Fire": Infernos Choke California, Piling On the Grief", The New York TimesCS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- "The Latest: Trump declares emergency in California wildfires". US News. San Francisco Chronicle. 28 July 2018. Archived from the original on 28 July 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- Madison Park (August 6, 2018), California fire explodes in size over weekend, is now 2nd largest in state history, CNN
- Spencer Harwood (August 26, 2018), "British Columbia wildfire season ranked second worst in province's history", National Post
- Media related to 2018 wildfires at Wikimedia Commons