2019 AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy
|Event||AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy|
|Date||Originally planned on 26 March 2019, postponed to 2020|
|Venue||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi, Vietnam|
2019 AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy is the first edition of the AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy, a biennial football tournament that was founded in 2018. The tournament match are between Vietnam, the defending champion of 2018 AFF Championship and South Korea, the defending champion of 2017 EAFF E-1 Football Championship. The representative of ASEAN Football Federation (AFF), Vietnam, will host the event.
The trophy will be contested biennially starting 2019, with AFF and East Asian Football Federation (EAFF) rotating the host venue duties and the former staging the first-ever Champions Trophy. Vietnam automatically won hosting right to the inaugural trophy match on 15 December 2018 after beating Malaysia 3–2 on aggregate score in the 2018 AFF Championship Final. A memorandum of understanding (MoU) for the organisation of the AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy was signed in Hanoi, Vietnam on 15 December 2018 by AFF Deputy President, Maj General Khiev Sameth, and EAFF President, Chung Mong-gyu.
The first AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy match, to be played on a single-match format, was scheduled to be held on 26 March 2019 at the Mỹ Đình National Stadium in Hanoi, Vietnam between the national football teams of Vietnam and South Korea. However, the plan for this match is hindered by coinciding with the 2020 AFC U-23 Championship qualification schedule as the 2020 AFC U-23 Championship in Thailand will decide on the eligibility to enter the 2020 Summer Olympics in Japan. The Korea Football Association (KFA) also asked to move the 2019 AFF–EAFF Champions Trophy to another date in 2019. The VFF finally decided to postponed the match until 2020.
|2018 AFF Championship Defending Champion||2017 EAFF E-1 Football Championship Defending Champion|
|Vietnam||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi|
- Khương Xuân (19 February 2019). "Hủy trận đấu giữa đội tuyển Việt Nam và Hàn Quốc trong năm 2019" [Cancel the match between Vietnam and Korea teams in 2019] (in Vietnamese). Tuổi Trẻ. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
- "Vietnam friendly against RoK may be delayed until 2020". Voice of Vietnam. Vietnam Net. 21 February 2019. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Vietnam edge Malaysia for title". Asian Football Confederation. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Seok Nam-jun; Kim Kyeong-pil; Joo Hyung-sik (17 December 2018). "Korea, Vietnam to Square off in New Regional Football Competition". The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Dang Khoa (15 January 2019). "Vietnam, S. Korea to clash in first AFF-EAFF Champions Trophy". VnExpress. Retrieved 31 January 2019.