2019 CFL season
|2019 CFL season|
|Duration||June 2019 – November 2019|
|Start date||November 10, 2019|
|107th Grey Cup|
|Date||November 24, 2019|
|Site||McMahon Stadium, Calgary|
The 2019 CFL season will be the 66th season of modern Canadian professional football. Officially, it is the 62nd season of the league. Calgary is scheduled to host the 107th Grey Cup on November 24, 2019. If the scheduling format from the previous season is implemented for this season, the regular season would start on or about June 13, 2019.
CFL news in 2019
Collective Bargaining Agreement
The five-year agreement that was ratified between the CFL and CFL Player's Association will expire just prior to this season, on the first day of scheduled training camp in 2019 (approximately May 19) or May 15, 2019, whichever comes later. Topics should include compensation, player safety, worker's compensation, and moving up the regular season. The 2018 salary cap was $5,200,000 with minimum salaries set at $54,000.
Football operations cap
On June 5, 2018, it was reported that the CFL had approved a limit on football operations staff salaries and number of coaches and operations staff employed by each team. The number of coaches on each team may not exceed 11 and the number of other football operations staff may not exceed 17. The total compensation of those 28 staff members is to be capped at $2,738,000. As of the 2018 CFL season, four teams had more than 11 coaches employed and would be directly impacted by these changes. Consequently, there was talk of a potential coaches union being formed to combat the unilateral decision.
On September 12, 2018, it was announced that New Era Cap would be the official outfitter for all nine teams starting in the 2019 season. This came as a result of the previous supplier, Adidas, not renewing their contract following the 2018 expiry of their previous deal. New Era Cap had been a licensee of the CFL for headwear and apparel since January 2011 and it will be the first time that the company provides football uniforms and sideline apparel. Due to the short time frame, each team's uniform will remain the same for 2019, with the merchandise logo being the only change.
The CFL's agreement with TSN and RDS covers Canadian broadcasting rights through to 2021. The agreement with American broadcaster, ESPN, expires following the end of the 2018 CFL season and there have been discussions to renew that deal which may involve moving up the CFL season schedule. It has also been speculated that the league would court the NFL Network, which carried the league's games in 2010 and 2011.
- "107th Grey Cup presented by Shaw coming to Calgary in 2019". press.cfl.ca. April 25, 2018. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- "New five-year CBA ratified by CFL and CFLPA". cfl.ca. June 13, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "CFL players search for unified voice as CBA talks loom". cbc.ca. March 23, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "CFL approves cap on football operations costs for 2019 season". tsn.ca. June 5, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "Coaches and scouts to consider forming union after league decides to cap football expenditures". 3downnation.com. June 5, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "New Era: Global licensee becomes Official Outfitter of CFL". cfl.ca. September 12, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "Adidas out as CFL apparel sponsor after this season". 3downnation.com. June 15, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "New Era inks headwear deal with the CFL". esks.com. December 9, 2010. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "New Era takes over but CFL uniforms will remain the same in 2019". 3downnation.com. September 12, 2018. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "CFL, TSN and RDS extend broadcast agreement through 2021". tsn.ca. May 28, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- Baines, Tim (February 2, 2018). "Q and A with CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie on Randy's Road Trip". Sun Media. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- Baines, Tim (November 24, 2017). "Grey Cup in October? NFL Network TV deal could follow for CFL". Sun Media. Retrieved May 24, 2018.