2019 Greek legislative election
All 300 seats in the Hellenic Parliament
151 seats needed for a majority
The next Greek legislative election will be held on or before 20 October 2019. At stake will be all 300 seats in the Hellenic Parliament.
250 seats are distributed on the basis of proportional representation, with a threshold of 3% required for entry into parliament. Blank and invalid votes, as well as votes cast for parties that fall short of the 3% threshold, are disregarded for seat allocation purposes. 50 additional seats are awarded as a majority bonus to the party that wins a plurality of votes, with coalitions in that regard not being counted as an overall party but having their votes counted separately for each party in the coalition, according to the election law. Parliamentary majority is achieved by a party or coalition of parties that command at least one half plus one (151 out of 300) of total seats.
Latest possible date
The next general election cannot be held later than Sunday 20 October 2019. According to the Greek constitution, Members of Parliament are elected for terms of four years, with elections required within thirty days of their term's expiration.
According to the Minister of the Interior, Panos Skourletis, the most likely date for the next election is 13 October 2019, the same day as the local (regional and municipal) elections. Alexis Tsipras, on 31th of December 2018, stated that he is searching for a date in October.
- "Constitution of Greece" (PDF). Hellenic Parliament. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
Article 51, Clause 5: The exercise of the right to vote is compulsory.
- Προεδρικό Διάταγμα 96/2007 [Presidential Decree 96/2007] (in Greek).
Article 117, Clause 1: The elector who unjustifiably does not vote is punished with imprisonment of [at least] one month and up to one year.
- Υποχρεωτική η ψήφος αλλά "παγωμένες" οι κυρώσεις [Voting is mandatory, but penalties "frozen"]. Eleftherotypia (in Greek). Archived from the original on 2013-02-17. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Greek Constitution; Part III. Organization and Functions of the State". hri.org. Retrieved 2015-01-26.
- "Δεν απέκλεισε εθνικές εκλογές στις 13 Οκτωβρίου 2019 ο Σκουρλέτης | Το Κουτί της Πανδώρας". Το Κουτί της Πανδώρας (in Greek). 2018-04-29. Retrieved 2018-04-29.