2019 Major League Baseball draft
|2019 Major League Baseball draft|
|Date(s)||June 3–5, 2019|
|Location||Secaucus, New Jersey|
|1,217 total selections|
|First selection||Adley Rutschman|
|First round selections||41|
The 2019 Major League Baseball (MLB) First-Year Player Draft was held June 3–5, 2019. The draft assigned amateur baseball players to MLB teams. The draft order was set based on the reverse order of the 2018 MLB season standings. In addition, compensation picks were distributed for players who did not sign from the 2018 MLB Draft and for teams that lost qualifying free agents. The first 41 picks, including the first round and compensatory picks, were broadcast by MLB Network on June 3, and the second round was streamed on MLB.com directly following the first round. The remainder of the draft was streamed online on June 4–5.
The Baltimore Orioles, who had the worst record of the 2018 MLB season, selected Adley Rutschman with the first overall pick in the draft. The Atlanta Braves received the ninth overall pick as compensation for failing to sign Carter Stewart. The Arizona Diamondbacks received the 26th overall pick as compensation for failing to sign Matt McLain. The Los Angeles Dodgers received the 31st overall pick as compensation for not signing J. T. Ginn. The Pittsburgh Pirates received the 37th overall pick for failing to sign Gunnar Hoglund. As a result of surpassing the luxury tax threshold by over $40 million, the Boston Red Sox' top pick dropped down 10 places in the draft.
First round selections
|*||Player did not sign|
|33||Brennan Malone||Arizona Diamondbacks[Compensation 4]||Pitcher||IMG Academy (FL)|
|34||Drey Jameson||Arizona Diamondbacks[Compensation 5]||Pitcher||Ball State|
Competitive Balance Round A
Other notable selections
|2||51||Logan Wyatt||San Francisco Giants||First baseman||Louisville|
|2||56||Ryne Nelson||Arizona Diamondbacks||Pitcher||Oregon|
|2||64||Chase Strumpf||Chicago Cubs||Second baseman||UCLA|
|2||68||Grae Kessinger||Houston Astros||Shortstop||Ole Miss|
|3||79||Zach Watson||Baltimore Orioles||Outfielder||LSU|
|3||89||Matthew Allan||New York Mets||Pitcher||Seminole High School (FL)|
|3||94||Drew Mendoza||Washington Nationals||Third baseman||Florida State|
|4||118||Jake Mangum||New York Mets||Outfielder||Mississippi State|
|4||128||Graeme Stinson||Tampa Bay Rays||Pitcher||Duke|
|5||149||Will Holland||Minnesota Twins||Shortstop||Auburn|
|5||153||Tyler Dyson||Washington Nationals||Pitcher||Florida|
|9||262||Austin Bergner||Detroit Tigers||Pitcher||North Carolina|
|21||633||Washington Nationals||Outfielder||Tennessee Tech|
|31||947||Boston Red Sox||Pitcher||Florida|
- Compensation picks
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Carter Stewart in the 2018 draft
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Matt McLain in the 2018 draft
- Compensation pick for failing to sign J. T. Ginn in the 2018 draft
- Compensation pick for the Washington Nationals signing Patrick Corbin
- Compensation pick for the Los Angeles Dodgers signing A. J. Pollock
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Gunnar Hoglund in the 2018 draft
- Yankees acquired Shed Long and the 38th pick from the Cincinnati Reds for Sonny Gray and Reiver Sanmartin.
- Rays acquired the 40th pick from the Oakland Athletics as part of a three-team trade, in which the Rays also acquired Rollie Lacy, the Athletics acquired Jurickson Profar, and the Texas Rangers acquired Brock Burke, Kyle Bird, Yoel Espinal, Eli White, and $750,000 of international bonus pool space.
- Rangers acquired the 41st pick from the Milwaukee Brewers in a trade for Alex Claudio.
- "MLB's New Free Agent Compensation Rules Are Incredibly Complicated, So Let's Break Them Down". Sports Illustrated. November 7, 2017.
- Callis, Jim (September 30, 2018). "2019 Draft order set: O's, KC, White Sox go 1-2-3 | MLB.com". mlb.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "MLB Draft 2018: Braves first-round pick Carter Stewart goes unsigned after medical issue | MLB". Sporting News. June 27, 2018. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks will not sign top draft pick Matt McLain". Azcentral.com. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- McCullough, Andy. "Dodgers first-round pick J.T. Ginn says he won't sign, will attend Mississippi State". Latimes.com. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Brink, Bill (July 6, 2018). "Competitive balance pick Gunnar Hoglund does not sign with Pirates, will attend Mississippi". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- "Top spenders Red Sox owe nearly $12 million in luxury tax". Associated Press. ESPN. Associated Press. December 15, 2018. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- Weinrib, Ben (December 21, 2018). "A's to acquire ex-top prospect Jurickson Profar in three-team trade with Rays, Rangers". Yahoo!. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- Wilson, Jeff (December 13, 2018). "Rangers won't know return for Claudio until June, but trade should produce elite prospect". The Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved December 21, 2018.