2019 New York City helicopter crash
|Date||June 10, 2019|
|Summary||Helicopter crashed onto roof of a building|
|Site||AXA Equitable Center, 787 Seventh Avenue, New York City |
|Aircraft type||AgustaWestland AW109E|
|Flight origin||East 34th Street Heliport (6N5)|
|Destination||Linden, New Jersey|
On June 10, 2019, an Agusta A109E Power crashed onto the AXA Equitable Center on Seventh Avenue in Manhattan, New York City, which sparked a fire on the top of the building. Tim McCormack, the pilot, died in the crash. The aircraft was privately owned at the time of the crash.
The flight originated from the East 34th Street Heliport (FAA LID: 6N5) at approximately 1:32 PM EDT bound for Linden, New Jersey. At around 1:43 PM EDT on June 10, 2019, the helicopter, an Agusta A109E Power, registration N200BX, crashed on the roof of the AXA Equitable Center, sparking a fire on the top of the building. The first emergency call was made at 1:43 PM. The FDNY has considered the accident as a "hard landing." The fire on the top of the highrise was extinguished quickly.
After the accident, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio briefed the press, confirming a lack of further victims or apparent terroristic motive. The National Transportation Safety Board sent agents to investigate the accident. The accident prompted Mayor de Blasio to call for a ban on non-emergency helicopters flying over Manhattan. Former City Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe countered that the mayor had the authority to eliminate ninety percent of helicopter traffic by himself by eliminating the more than 200 daily tourist and charter flights from city-owned heliports.
- "1 dead in helicopter crash-landing on Manhattan building". ABC7 New York. June 10, 2019. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Barron, James (June 10, 2019). "Helicopter Crashes on Roof of Manhattan Building, Killing Pilot". The New York Times. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- "Helicopter crashes into roof of Midtown NYC building, killing one". nydailynews.com. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Pope, Stephen. "NTSB Begins Investigation into Cause of New York City Helicopter Crash". Flying. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- "One dead in helicopter crash on NYC skyscraper". June 10, 2019. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- "Helicopter crashes into New York City building: Latest updates". www.cnn.com. June 10, 2019. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- DiLorenzo, Anthony (June 11, 2019). "NTSB investigating deadly helicopter crash landing on Manhattan skyscraper". WPIX 11 New York. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- Marsh, Julia; Calder, Rich (June 14, 2019). "De Flasio calls for ban on helicopters flying over Manhattan". New York Post. Retrieved June 18, 2019.