2019 North Carolina's 9th congressional district special election
North Carolina's 9th congressional district
|Elections in North Carolina|
A special election was held on September 10, 2019, to fill the vacancy in North Carolina's 9th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives for the remainder of the 116th United States Congress. The seat has been vacant since the opening of the 116th Congress, following the refusal of the North Carolina State Board of Elections to certify the results of the November 2018 election in the district due to allegations of electoral fraud. Because of the allegations, the race received substantial national attention.
Dan McCready, the Democratic candidate, ran on a platform of cutting taxes on the middle class, ending gerrymandering, renegotiating trade deals, and reducing military interventions overseas. His platform also supports protecting Social Security and Medicare, overturning Citizens United, and granting full federal recognition to the Lumbee Tribe. Republican candidate Dan Bishop is best known for his opposition to LGBT rights, particularly the drafting of North Carolina's "Bathroom Bill".
In the original election, Mark Harris, a Republican, led Democrat Dan McCready by 905 votes in the unofficial returns for the 2018 North Carolina's 9th congressional district election. However, allegations of fraud in the election prevented its certification. The North Carolina State Board of Elections set an evidentiary hearing to begin on February 18, 2019. After hearing evidence, including testimony from Harris himself and his own son, the board unanimously voted on February 21 to call a new election.
The primary was held on May 14, 2019, with the general election to be held on September 10. The filing period for candidates ended on March 15. A total of 13 candidates qualified for the primary, among them 10 Republicans, 1 Democrat, 1 Libertarian and 1 Green. Dan McCready, the Democratic Party nominee in the 2018 election, ran again and faced no primary opposition. Among Republicans, neither Harris nor Robert Pittenger, the incumbent whom Harris defeated in the 2018 primary election, filed to run.
With the announcement by the State Board ordering a new election, this becomes one of two congressional special elections in North Carolina in 2019, the other being the 3rd district's special election held on the same day. This was the first time two U.S. House special elections were held on the same state on the same day (not on Election Day) since the May 3, 2008, elections in Louisiana's 1st district and 6th district.
- 1 Background
- 2 Republican primary
- 3 Democratic primary
- 4 Libertarian primary
- 5 Green primary
- 6 General election
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The 2018 congressional district election ended with Republican Mark Harris leading Democrat Dan McCready by 905 votes, the closest race in the district in over sixty years. While McCready had conceded defeat, the North Carolina Democratic Party alleged that electoral fraud had taken place, and filed affidavits with the North Carolina State Board of Elections alleging that independent contractors working on behalf of Harris had illegally collected absentee ballots (ballot harvesting). The North Carolina Board of Elections voted unanimously not to certify the election and later ordered an evidentiary hearing to be held. The board also opened an investigation around the activities of Leslie McCrae Dowless, a campaign operative with felony fraud and perjury convictions, who was hired by the Harris campaign. Incoming Democratic Majority Leader Steny Hoyer announced that the United States House of Representatives would not seat Harris until the fraud investigation had been completed.
After a delay caused by restructuring of the Board of Elections and delayed appointment of members by Republican allies of Harris, the board set hearings to begin on February 18, 2019. On that day the regulator reported that it had found evidence of "a coordinated, unlawful and substantially resourced absentee ballot scheme" that may have involved more than 1,000 ballots or ballot request forms. On February 20, Harris's son, John Harris, a federal prosecutor in North Carolina, testified to the election board that he had repeatedly warned his father not to hire Dowless because Dowless appeared to have previously engaged in illegal tactics to win votes.
On February 21, Harris announced that "the public's confidence in the ninth district seat general election has been undermined to an extent that a new election is warranted." The Board of Elections voted unanimously to call a special election, with a primary if necessary on May 14, to fill the vacancy. This is the first House of Representatives election to require a do-over since 1974.
Leslie McCrae Dowless was indicted and arrested on February 27, 2019. He faced felony charges of obstruction of justice, conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice and two possession of absentee ballots charges. In July 2019, the Wake County district attorney also announced charges against Lisa Britt, Ginger S. Eason, Woody D. Hester, James Singletary, Jessica Dowless and Kelly Hendrix, and additional charges against Leslie McCrae Dowless.
Defeated in primary
- Chris Anglin, attorney and candidate for North Carolina Supreme Court in 2018
- Leigh Brown, realtor, CEO and author 
- Kathie Day, realtor
- Gary Dunn, perennial candidate
- Matthew Ridenhour, former Mecklenburg County commissioner
- Stevie Rivenbark, businesswoman
- Stony Rushing, Union County commissioner
- Fern Shubert, former state senator and candidate for governor in 2004
- Albert Lee Wiley Jr., perennial candidate
- David Blackwelder, Wake Forest police officer and nominee for Wake County Board of Commissioners District 6 in 2018
- Dean Arp, state representative (endorsed Dan Bishop)
- Dan Barry, chair of the Union County Republican Party and candidate for North Carolina's 9th congressional district in 2012 (endorsed Dan Bishop)
- William M. Brawley, former state representative (endorsed Dan Bishop)
- Danny Britt, state senator (endorsed Dan Bishop)
- Andy Dulin, former state representative
- Mark Harris, pastor, nominee for North Carolina's 9th congressional district in 2018, candidate for North Carolina's 9th congressional district in 2016, and candidate for U.S. Senate in 2014 (endorsed Stony Rushing)
- Nat Robertson, former mayor of Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Pat McCrory, former Governor of North Carolina
- Robert Pittenger, former U.S. Representative (endorsed Matthew Ridenhour)
- Kenny Smith, former Charlotte city councilman and nominee for mayor of Charlotte in 2017 (endorsed Dan Bishop)
- Scott Stone, former state representative
- Tommy Tucker, former state senator (endorsed Dan Bishop)
|Public Policy Polling||April 29–30, 2019||592||± 5.1%||3%||31%||6%||5%||1%||9%||2%||17%||4%||–||21%|
|WPA Intelligence (R)[A]||April 29–30, 2019||409||± 4.9%||–||30%||5%||–||–||6%||1%||19%||2%||5%||32%|
|Meeting Street Research (R)[B]||April 22–23, 2019||400||–||–||36%||3%||–||–||13%||–||18%||–||–||–|
|WPA Intelligence (R)[A]||~April 9, 2019||–||–||–||22%||1%||–||–||6%||2%||18%||2%||3%||46%|
|Republican||Stevie Rivenbark Hull||906||3.00|
|Republican||Albert Lee Wiley, Jr.||62||0.21|
- Dan McCready, former U.S. Marine, businessman, and nominee for North Carolina's 9th congressional district in 2018
- Allen Smith, perennial candidate
|The Cook Political Report||Tossup||August 26, 2019|
|Inside Elections||Tossup||September 4, 2019|
|Sabato's Crystal Ball||Tossup||September 5, 2019|
|GEUN/GEHSC||Tossup||September 10, 2019|
|Dan Bishop (R)|
|Dan McCready (D)|
|Co/Efficient||September 5–6, 2019||1,175 LV||± 3.9%||45%||48%||–||7%|
|GAJ Solutions (R)[C]||August 26–28, 2019||500||± 4.0%||46%||45%||3%[b]||5%|
|Harper Polling/Clarity Campaign Labs[D]||August 26–28, 2019||551 LV||± 4.2%||42%||46%||3%[c]||8%|
|ALG Research (D)[E]||July 15–18, 2019||450 LV||± 4.6%||46%||46%||–||8%|
|Atlantic Media & Research (R)[F]||May 20–30, 2019||358 LV||± 5.2%||39%||41%||3%[d]||16.8%|
|JMC Analytics||May 21–24, 2019||350 LV||± 5.2%||46%||42%||2%[e]||10%|
|Campaign finance reports as of August 21, 2019|
|Candidate (party)||Total receipts||Total disbursements||Cash on hand|
|Dan McCready (D)||$4,950,881.11||$4,470,374.25||$818,345.51|
|Dan Bishop (R)||$1,954,334.64||$1,761,558.40||$192,776.24|
|Source: Federal Election Commission|
- Partisan clients
- Additional candidates
- Scott (L) with 3% and Smith (G) with 2%
- Scott (L) with 2% and Smith (G) with 1%
- Scott (L) with 2% and Smith (G) with 1%
- Scott (L) with 2% and Smith (G) with 0.8%
- Scott (L) and Smith (G) each with 1%
- Murphy, Brian; Morrill, Jim (February 15, 2019). "All mail-in ballots in Bladen, Robeson were tainted, McCready says in asking for re-do". The News & Observer. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- "Issues". Dan McCready For Congress. Retrieved September 8, 2019.
- "Issues". Dan Bishop. Retrieved September 8, 2019.
- Staff (September 6, 2019). "NC-09: Republicans Risk Special Election Loss in Critical 2020 State". The Cook Political Report. Retrieved September 8, 2019.
In May, Republican voters chose Bishop, an attorney best known for sponsoring North Carolina's so-called "bathroom bill," as their new nominee.
- New NC elections board sets date for 9th District hearing, WRAL, February 4, 2019. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Caldwell, Leigh Ann. "New election ordered in North Carolina House district after possible illegal activities". NBC News. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Mutnick, Ally [@allymutnick] (February 21, 2019). "BREAKING: All 5 members of @NCSBE unanimously vote for a new election in #NC09 This will be the first redo congressional election in over 40 years" (Tweet). Retrieved February 21, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "CANDIDATE LIST GROUPED BY CONTEST" (PDF). ncsbe.gov. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Harris, John F. (December 10, 2018). "North Carolina Democrat preparing for special election in contested congressional race". Politico. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- "Robert Pittenger won't run in 9th district special election". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- "Rep. Robert Pittenger Won't Run Even if 'Ballot Harvesting' Probe Causes Primary Do-Over". Rollcall.com. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Barrón-López, Laura [@lbarronlopez] (March 4, 2019). "NEW: @NCSBE orders dates for #NC09 special election: PRIMARY will be May 14 GENERAL will be Sept. 10 If 2nd primary is needed, it will be on Sept. 10 and general will be moved to Nov. 5" (Tweet). Retrieved March 4, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Ostermeier, Eric (September 10, 2019). "Two for the price of one". Smart Politics. Archived from the original on September 15, 2019. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Live results: North Carolina elections, Politico, September 10, 2019.
- Republican Dan Bishop wins special election for House seat in North Carolina special election, NBC News projects, NBC News, September 10, 2019.
- Wise, Justin (December 3, 2018). "Second woman says she was paid to collect absentee ballots in North Carolina House race". The Hill. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Levy, Adam (December 3, 2018). "North Carolina elections board delays certification of congressional election results again". CNN. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Man at center of North Carolina election fraud probe turned in hundreds of absentee ballot requests, CNN, Eric Bradner, Adam Levy, Drew Griffin and Curt Devine, December 5, 2018. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Bowden, John. "Hoyer: Democrats won't seat NC Republican amid election fraud investigation". The Hill. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Blinder, Alan (February 18, 2019). "In North Carolina, Investigators Find Ballot 'Scheme' in House Race". The New York Times. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- "Candidate's son warned father of N.C. political operative's alleged tactics". Washington Post. February 20, 2019. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Shepard, Steven (December 18, 2018). "Here's What Happened the Last Time There Was An Election Do-Over: North Carolina's crazy election fraud scandal is almost, but not quite unprecedented in American history". Politico. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- Bladen County operative at center of NC election fraud investigation indicted, arrested, Charlotte Observer, Ely Portillo and Jim Morrill, February 27, 2019. Retrieved April 7, 2019.
- McCrae Dowless indicted on more charges in election fraud investigation,WSOC-TV, Joe Bruno, August 1, 2019. Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- Sarah Skinner (July 24, 2019). "McCready, Bishop clash in 9th District race over state Medicaid expansion". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- Hodges, David (March 15, 2019). "Last day for candidates to file in NC 9th Congressional District election". WBTV. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- "Prominent Realtor Leigh Brown is now running for Congress". HousingWire. March 15, 2019. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- Portillo, Ely; Bonner, Lynn (March 14, 2019). "Mecklenburg Republicans are jumping in the 9th District race, adding to primary field". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- "Former Meck County commissioner announces candidacy in new election for NC-09". WVTV. March 6, 2019. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Woolverton, Paul (March 6, 2019). "Fayetteville crash survivor to run for 9th Congressional District". The Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
- Mutnick, Ally (February 27, 2019). "Harris Bows Out of Special Election". National Journal. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Stanley-Becker, Isaac (February 27, 2019). "Gun enthusiast and real-life 'Boss Hogg' seizes GOP mantle in congressional race tainted by fraud". The Washington Post. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Morrill, Jim; Portillo, Ely (March 11, 2019). "Surprise Union County candidate shakes up the 9th District Republican primary". The State. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- "State Board of Elections List of 9th District Candidates" (PDF). Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "David Blackwelder withdraws from 9th district election". abc11.com/.
- Morrill, Jim [@jimmorrill] (March 7, 2019). "One more name for #NC09: GOP Rep. @DeanArp of Union County, He's making calls and sizing it up. #ncpol #ncga" (Tweet). Retrieved March 8, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Morrill, Jim; Portillo, Ely (December 13, 2018). "In the 9th District, a new primary might draw a crowded field for disputed seat". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Bruno, Joe [@JoeBrunoWSOC9] (March 3, 2019). "New: Union County GOP Chair @DBBarry_ says he will not run for #NC09 #ncpol @wsoctv" (Tweet). Retrieved March 3, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Wasserman, David (February 21, 2019). "NC-09 Remains in Toss Up After New Election Ordered". The Cook Political Report. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Evans, Jon (February 26, 2019). "Sen. Britt will not seek GOP nomination in new 9th Congressional District election". WECT. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- Bruno, Joe (December 15, 2018). "Potential GOP primary candidates in 9th Congressional District". WSOC. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Laura Barrón-López (February 26, 2019). "Mark Harris says he won't run in North Carolina election do-over". Politico. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- Bruno, Joe [@JoeBrunoWSOC9] (March 11, 2019). "Former Fayetteville Mayor Nat Roberson says he will not run for #NC09 @wsoctv" (Tweet). Retrieved March 11, 2019 – via Twitter.
- McCrory, Pat [@patmccrorync] (February 24, 2019). "Much has changed over the past week regarding the 9th congressional district. I have received an enormous number of calls about it from friends, reporters, and political operatives from our state and Washington, D.C." (Tweet). Retrieved February 25, 2019 – via Twitter.
- McCrory, Pat [@patmccrorync] (February 24, 2019). "At 8:15am, I will be sharing my personal status on what is now the 9th district congressional election. The Pat McCrory Show (1110 WBT-AM radio)" (Tweet). Retrieved February 25, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Horsch, Lauren [@LaurenHorsch] (February 25, 2019). "Pat McCrory announces on his radio show that he is not running in the #NC09. Does not have the "fire in his belly" for that position. Instead is looking toward potentially running for governor in 2020 or Burr's U.S. Senate seat in 2022. #ncpol" (Tweet). Retrieved February 25, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Raynor, Jessicah (March 3, 2019). "Kenny Smith Not Running for District 9 Seat". Spectrum News Charlotte. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- Bruno, Joe [@JoeBrunoWSOC9] (February 22, 2019). "Republican former NC Rep. Scott Stone tells @wsoctv he will not be a candidate for #NC09. He says he will likely announce candidacy for a different office in the coming weeks #ncpol" (Tweet). Retrieved February 22, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Morrill, Jim [@jimmorrill] (March 11, 2019). "Former #NCSen Tommy Tucker is NOT running for #NC09. Could leave @StonyRushing the only Union Co. Republican running as filing opens. #ncpol #ncga" (Tweet). Retrieved March 15, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Endorsements". Dan Bishop - Congress.
- Ted Cruz (May 10, 2019). "I hope EVERYONE will join me today in supporting @jdanbishop with all we've got, so he can move on next Tuesday and win this key race in September". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "NC Values Endorses Dan Bishop for the 9th District". NC Values Coalition.
- Dan Bishop. "Dan Bishop". Club for Growth. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Matthew Ridenhour (May 9, 2019). "I am honored to receive the endorsement of @RonPaul! He has been a constant champion of free markets, individual liberty, and just war. Thank you, Dr Paul! #NC09". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Rand Paul (April 22, 2019). "I'm proud to support @mridenhour. I hope he can count on your support too!". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- "Pittenger backs former county official in Congress primary". Associated Press. March 20, 2019.
- Matthew Ridenhour For Congress. "Thank you Tariq! I'm honored to have your endorsement!". Facebook.
- "US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES DISTRICT 09 - REP (VOTE FOR 1)". NC State Board of Elections. Retrieved July 1, 2019.
- "2020 Democratic candidates, hopefuls lend support for McCready in NC's 9th district". The News & Observer. March 27, 2019.
- Schiff, Adam [@AdamSchiff] (February 22, 2019). "NC authorities have unanimously called for new elections after uncovering systematic fraud by the Republican candidate's campaign. It's a great day for democracy, and a great day to support Dan McCready – U.S. Marine Corps veteran, entrepreneur, and a formidable challenger" (Tweet). Retrieved March 15, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Swalwell, Eric [@ericswalwell] (February 25, 2019). "What happened in #NC09 is a travesty. We cannot quietly accept fraud. As we fight against dirty maps, dirty money, and foreign interference, let's start here. Support Dan and stand against fraud" (Tweet). Retrieved March 15, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Endorsements". Dan McCready For Congress. March 27, 2019.
- Jackson, Jeff [@JeffJacksonNC] (March 5, 2019). "We finally have dates for the new election for NC09. Primary: May 14 General: Sept. 10 I am very proud to once again support my friend and fellow veteran @McCreadyForNC. #ncpol" (Tweet). Retrieved March 15, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Endorsements". League of Conservation Voters. Retrieved March 16, 2019.
- Auster, Craig (March 14, 2018). "LCV Action Fund Endorses Dan McCready for Congress". League of Conservation Voters. Retrieved March 16, 2019.
- Bruno, Joe [@JoeBrunoWSOC9] (February 21, 2019). "Libertarian candidate @Kleptosclerosis says he will run in the new #NC09 election @wsoctv" (Tweet). Retrieved February 21, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "FEC FORM 2 : STATEMENT OF CANDIDACY" (PDF). Docquery.fec.gov. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "Under Four Months Until the Special Election, NC-09 Remains in Toss Up". The Cook Political Report. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "House Ratings | Inside Elections". insideelections.com. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- Kondik, Kyle (September 5, 2019). "Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball » House Ratings Changes: NC-9 do-over election going down to the wire". crystalball.centerforpolitics.org. Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball.
- "[2019 U.S. North Carolina 9th CD Special Election] Final Projection". GEHSC.en. Globe Elections United Center. September 10, 2019.
- Donald Trump (May 16, 2019). "Congratulations to Dan Bishop on his big Republican Primary victory in the 9th Congressional District of North Carolina. Dan is strong on Crime, Loves our Military, Vets, 2A, and great Healthcare. He has my Complete and Total Endorsement! #MAGA". Twitter.com. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Mike Pence. "GREAT to be in North Carolina today supporting @jdanbishop for Congress representing #NC09! Dan Bishop will help build on the incredible work @realDonaldTrump & House Republicans are doing for our country to create jobs & opportunity for hardworking Americans! #MAGA". Twitter.
- Thom Tillis. "President Trump and I are working together to create jobs, secure our border, confirm conservative judges, and rebuild our military. It's imperative that we elect @jdanbishop on Tuesday so that the President and I can gain another ally in Washington". Twitter.
- Ted Budd. "Will you stand with me in supporting Senator @jdanbishop? Pitch in to support his campaign today". Twitter.
- Kevin McCarthy. ".@jdanbishop is a committed conservative with a proven record of advancing common sense solutions and principles in the state legislature. He has the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective member of the House, and I'm proud to support him. Onward to victory in Sep! #NC09". Twitter.
- Mark Meadows. "Great joining Vice President @mike_pence in Union County to make GOTV calls for @jdanbishop - #NC09 let's send the #RightDan to Congress!". Twitter.
- "U.S. Rep. Mark Green: Dan Bishop is the choice for veterans". The Fayetteville Observer. August 28, 2019. Retrieved August 30, 2019.
- Mike Pence. "Making GOTV calls for @jdanbishop with @markmeadows & @DavidRouzer. North Carolina and America need @jdanbishop in the United States Congress! A vote for Dan is a vote for a man who is a fierce defender of our military and veterans, and strong on crime and border security! #NC09". Twitter.
- Mark Walker. "To all my friends in the Charlotte area and in #NC09 – please make time to go out and vote for @jdanbishop tomorrow!". Twitter.
- Dan Forest. "It was a privilege to spend a little time today knocking on doors with @jdanbishop to support his campaign for Congress. If you live in the 9th Congressional District, make sure you get out and vote this Tuesday, September 10. He's the "Right Dan" to represent NC up in DC". Twitter.
- Dan Bishop. "NC Senator Todd Johnson, thanks so much for your support!". Facebook.
- Dan Bishop. "Dean Arp, thanks for your support!". Facebook.
- Dan Bishop. "Tommy Tucker is a great friend who's been great for Union County. Thank you, Tommy!". Facebook.
- Morrill, Jim (August 28, 2019). "Donald Trump Jr. brings his family's support for Dan Bishop to Monroe fundraiser". The Charlotte Observer. Retrieved August 28, 2019.
- Ronna McDaniel. "If you're in #NC09, get out and vote for @jdanbishop tomorrow. He'll be a strong ally for @realDonaldTrump". Twitter.
- Kayleigh McEnany. "It's important to go VOTE today if you're in North Carolina's 3rd or 9th! REJECT radical socialism, the insanity of "the squad" & big government takeover policies that would wreck our economy! VOTE for Dan Bishop (@jdanbishop) in #NC09 & Greg Murphy (@DrGregMurphy1) in #NC03!". Twitter.
- Dan Bishop. "I'm honored to be endorsed by @NRA & to receive an "A" rating for my fierce commitment to #2A rights that are under attack by Washington Democrats. Wrong Dan, whose NRA rating is a "D," is ready to join them. We can't afford to give Pelosi another rubber stamp vote. #ncpol #nc09". Twitter.
- NC Right to Life. "The North Carolina Right to Life Political Action Committee has endorsed two candidates for U.S House of Representatives #nc4life #ncpol". Twitter.
- Dan Bishop. "I'm honored to be endorsed by the @USChamber in this election. We must continue building on our economic growth, not reverse it with liberal @McCreadyForNC plan for higher taxes & big government spending! #ncpol #nc09". Twitter.
- "NFIB Endorses Dan Bishop in NC-09 Special Election". National Federation of Independent Business. August 27, 2019. Retrieved August 28, 2019.
- Alma Adams. "Here's another way you can get to the polls and vote tomorrow. I'm proud to support @AllenThomas4ENC in #NC03 and @McCreadyForNC in #NC09". Twitter.
- Boyum, Tim (August 28, 2019). "Former VP, Candidate Joe Biden Backs Dan McCready for District 9 Seat". Spectrum News North Carolina.
- Julian Castro. "North Carolina! There's still time to get out and vote for @AllenThomas4ENC in #NC03 & @McCreadyForNC in #NC09". Twitter.
- Cheri Bustos. "When it comes to tommorrow's election in #NC09, I'm proud to say the @dccc is all in. Folks, this race is neck-and-neck. Dan McCready is an outstanding candidate who I know will always put the needs of North Carolina's families first. Let's get this done and elect @McCreadyForNC". Twitter.
- Sean Casten. "There are 435 seats in the House of Representatives. One of them is still unfilled because of election fraud in NC09. Help @McCreadyForNC win this seat the right way on September 10". Twitter.
- Dwight Evans. "If you have family in the #NC9 district make sure to tell them to get out and vote for @McCreadyForNC today. Let's flip this seat and add to our majority in Congress!!". Twitter.
- Deb Haaland. "Like my dad, @McCreadyforNC served his country as a Marine. Now, he's ready to serve his country again in Congress and fight to lower healthcare costs. If you live in #NC09 vote #McCreadyforNC today!". Twitter.
- Amy Klobuchar. "Today's the day, North Carolina! Be in line by 7:30 tonight, vote for @McCreadyForNC, and help get our country back on the path of progress!". Twitter.
- Conor Lamb. "For more than 2 years, a lot of people in #NC09 have been working hard to elect @McCreadyForNC. They faced big odds & big money. They had one election stolen. Today they get a fair chance to make their voices heard & send another Marine to Congress. Rooting for all of you". Twitter.
- Ted Lieu. "With your help, @McCreadyForNC will win #nc09. #ThursdayMotivation". Twitter.
- Beto O'Rourke. "Dan is running to flip a seat Republicans have held since 1963—and today, you can help him do it. If you're in North Carolina's 9th district, get out and vote to elect Dan and send a message that Democrats aren't only coming for safe seats. We're coming for all of them". Twitter.
- Mikie Sherrill. "Let's go Team McCready!". Twitter.
- Spanberger, Abigail (August 23, 2019). ".@McCreadyForNC's special election is Sept 10th. He ran in Nov 2018, but his 2018 opponent committed election fraud & the elections board required a new election. On behalf of those whose voices & votes were stolen in 2018, please consider making a donation to Dan McCready". Twitter.
- Underwood, Lauren (September 7, 2019). ".We have a chance to send @McCreadyforNC to Congress. His race is 3 days away and the polls are tight - donate to help Dan McCready win". Twitter.
- Stein, Josh (August 7, 2019). "Dan McCready is a great guy who will make a tremendous congressperson. NC would be fortunate to have him. Please chip in to support his campaign, which will FINALLY conclude on 9/10". Twitter.
- Steve Bullock. "Folks in #NC09, the choice in this election is clear. @McCreadyForNC is the candidate that will fight for affordable healthcare, better jobs, and a real investment in public schools". Twitter.
- Cunningham, Cal (August 12, 2019). "We're less than one month away from the special election in #NC09. @McCreadyForNC is running a great campaign, and I believe he can win if enough folks turn out to make their voices heard. Over these next few weeks, let's help him out however we can". Twitter.
- Terry Van Duyn. "@McCreadyForNC needs your support. Chip in tonight to help get him across the finish line". Twitter.
- Goodwin, Wayne (August 30, 2019). "To my friends & family throughout my home region comprising #nc09 #CD9 --> @McCreadyForNC is mission ready! I endorse 100% my friend, Dan McCready, a fmr Marine, small biz owner, Dad. Take it from me, I know my birthplace & he's the best choice. Pls vote 4 him". Twitter.
- Wesley Harris. "Hot day, but always perfect weather to canvas for @McCreadyForNC". Twitter.
- Senator Natasha Marcus. "My colleague in the NC Senate @JeffJacksonNC introducing @McCreadyForNC at tonight's rally. "He deserves to win!" #vote #VoteBlueToSaveAmerica". Twitter.
- Erica D. Smith. "Ok, North Carolina 9th Congressional District, GET TO THE POLLS AND VOTE! Give your neighbors a ride, if they need it. We need this seat! We deserve this seat b/c the GOP committed election fraud, forcing this special election. @McCreadyForNC is the best choice for this district!". Twitter.
- NC, Equality (May 15, 2019). "ENC is proud to endorse @McCreadyForNC for the North Carolina Ninth Congressional District Race". @equalitync. Twitter.
- Tran, Viet; Winterhof, JoDee (May 22, 2019). "HRC Endorses Pro-Equality Candidate Dan McCready for Congress". Human Rights Campaign.
- Society, Humane (August 26, 2019). "Humane Society Legislative Fund Endorses Dan McCready for U.S. House". Humane Society Legislative Fund.
- "National Wildlife Federation Action Fund Endorses Dan McCready for Congress". National Wildlife Federation Action Fund. August 12, 2019.
- AE, NC (August 13, 2019). "NCAE is proud to endorse Dan McCready for U.S. House of Representatives in the Sept 10 special election in the 9th Congressional District. Full release here". @ncae. Twitter.
- "Sierra Club #ClimateVoter Guide: Endorsements". Sierra Club.
- "Candidates: Dan McCready". New Politics.
- Col. Morris Davis. "The choice in #NC09 is clear ... @McCreadyForNC". Twitter.
- "9th District Democrat Dan McCready lays out national service plan". July 17, 2019. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- Evan McMullin. "The candidate Trump is supporting, Dan Bishop, invested in a new social media website because it welcomed white supremacists and neo-Nazis. His opponent, Dan McCready, is combat veteran, business leader, and family man. I trust that North Carolinians will make the right choice". Twitter.
- Debra Messing. "Virtual Phone Bank for Dan McCready · Dan McCready for Congress Final push! If you can give 15 mins, convince 1 person to vote, that can be the difference between red or blue. #DanMccready". Twitter.
- Michael Moore. "Yes, Dan McCready must win this seat tomorrow in NC. I sent him $500. But when we support cowards - because we must win at all costs—and we MUST tomorrow - keep in mind we carve away a piece of our soul each time we do this. In the end, it could wreak..." Twitter.
- Malcolm Nance. "NORTH CAROLINA. This election is a MUST WIN. Get your relatives out in force like it's a presidential election. Republicans tried to steal it. Take it back! #NC09". Twitter.
- Piper Perabo. "Charlotte Observer Editorial Board endorses Democrat Dan McCready in the #NC09 race Special Election to Congress on Sept 10th Early voting is open NOW Find your polling place and make a plan to vote. Wanna help @McCreadyForNC". Twitter.
- Tom Perez. "The NC-09 special election is just one week away. It's not only a chance to flip a seat from red to blue, but to send a message that we will not let dirty tactics and voter suppression rule our democracy. Make a plan to vote for @McCreadyForNC today:". Twitter.
- Neera Tanden. "Friends in North Carolina - please help Dan McCready win". Twitter.
- Gina Ortiz Jones. "Disgusted by what you saw in NC tonight? Let's help @McCreadyForNC, a USMC veteran, win his special election for #NC09". Twitter.
- Jennifer Hale. "done". Twitter.
- Nell Scovell. "In case there's ONE Democrat following me who lives in North Carolina and wasn't intending to vote, this is for you: Please vote for @McCreadyForNC. He's the one from the party that didn't cheat the last time around and will represent ALL of NC". Twitter.
- Grey DeLisle. "North Carolina People: Vote for Dan McCready tomorrow!!!! @McCreadyForNC". Twitter.
- Board, Editorial (August 25, 2019). "NC-09 endorsement: It's about more than the Dans. It's about The Donald". Charlotte Observer.
- "US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES DISTRICT 09 - REP (VOTE FOR 1)". NC State Board of Elections. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Official campaign websites