2019 Romanian presidential election
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Klaus Iohannis won the last presidential election in 2014 and was sworn in for his first term on 21 December, 2014. According to the Article 83 of the Constitution of Romania, the "term of office of the President of Romania is five years, being exercised from the date the oath was taken," but only for up to two terms. In June 2018, incumbent president Iohannis publicly announced his intention of running for a second term as state president. The electoral calendar for the forthcoming presidential election will be set by the Romanian Government.
National Liberal Party
President Klaus Iohannis is eligible for re-election. Although he is an independent according to the Constitution of Romania, his candidacy in the 2014 elections was supported by the National Liberal Party (PNL), whose President he was at that time. Ludovic Orban, the president of the PNL, reconfirmed the party's support for Iohannis after the elections. On 11 March 2018, the National Council of PNL formally endorsed Klaus Iohannis for a new term as president.
Social Democratic Party
Liviu Pleșoianu, a member of the Chamber of Deputies for Bucharest since 2016 for the Social Democratic Party (PSD), declared his candidacy on 23 July 2017. Liviu Dragnea, President of the Chamber of Deputies since 2016, and Gabriela Firea, Mayor of Bucharest since 2016, are thought to be other potential PSD candidates. However, both have refuted these media speculations, Firea stating she wants to finish her term as mayor, while Liviu Dragnea rejected the idea and stated he and the PSD concentrate on the governing program and the parliamentary agenda, as Dragnea is President of the Chamber of Deputies. He is still eligible to run for president, although previously convicted with a suspended sentence.
Save Romania Union
Nicușor Dan, a former President of the Save Romania Union (USR), the third largest political party in the country, believes that the party should run its own candidate for the elections. Dan Barna, the new President of the USR, stated in an interview with Adevărul that the USR would have a presidential candidate, decided by a vote within the party. Barna also said that "Dacian Cioloș may be an option, like any well-known person".
Many voices inside ALDE suggested that Călin Popescu Tăriceanu, the party leader and President of the Senate, should be the proposal of the PSD–ALDE coalition for the upcoming election and asked for PSD support in this regard. Tăriceanu himself considered that the best option for the presidential election is a PSD–ALDE joint candidacy.
In a press conference on 26 October 2017, Victor Ponta, a former Prime Minister and runner-up in the 2014 elections, claimed that his newly established party, Pro Romania, would nominate a candidate in the elections, but denied that he would run for the presidency again.
Former Minister of Labor in Cioloș Government, Dragoș Pîslaru, who is among the founders of the new party of former Prime Minister, the PLUS+, said the party is ready for a possible candidacy for the presidency of leader Dacian Cioloș. He also stressed that a candidacy of President Iohannis for a new term would not exclude a candidacy of Dacian Cioloș. On 8 June 2018, Cioloș said he will not run against Klaus Iohannis. However he subsequently stated that he would assume any responsibility that his recently founded political party (PLUS+) would bestow upon him, not excluding the presidency.
|Poll source||Date(s)||Sample size||Iohannis||Tăriceanu||Dragnea||Cioloș||Kelemen||Tomac||Ponta||Firea||Barna||Others||Undecided|
|IMAS||2–20 May 2019||1,010||43.5%||19.8%||7%||13%||1.2%||2.1%||11.6%||–||1.9%||–||14.7%|
|IMAS||12–15 April 2019||1,010||42.7%||18.3%||8.7%||10%||1.2%||2.2%||14.5%||–||2.5%||–||–|
|IMAS||18 March–3 April 2019||1,010||44.3%||16.1%||8%||11.7%||1.1%||2.2%||12.4%||–||1.7%||–||–|
|CURS||12–25 March 2019||1,067||36%||23%||15%||9%||4%||3%||–||–||–||–||–|
|IMAS||1–21 February 2019||1,010||41.4%||18.0%||6.0%||11.7%||1.5%||1.9%||15.0%||–||1.5%||3%||15.1%|
|CURS||21 January–6 February 2019||1,067||41%||21%||17%||9%||–||–||–||–||4%||8%||34%|
|IMAS||11–30 January 2019||1,011||34.4%||15.4%||6%||10.9%||0.8%||1.5%||13.2%||–||1.9%||7.7%||8.2%|
|Poll source||Date(s)||Sample size||Iohannis||Tăriceanu||Dragnea||Cioloș||Kelemen||Tomac||Ponta||Barna||Others||Undecided|
|IMAS||4-20 December 2018||1,010||34.9%||12.9%||5.3%||9.2%||0.7%||1.8%||12.7%||2.3%||3.5%||16.8%|
|CURS||24 November–9 December 2018||1,067||39%||25%||12%||11%||2%||–||–||3%||8%||32%|
|CURS||27 April–8 May 2018||1,067||39%||22%||22%||4%||3%||2%||–||–||8%||39%|
|Poll source||Date(s)||Sample size||Iohannis||Firea||Tăriceanu||Diaconescu||Hunor||Barna||Mioc||Undecided|
- Iohannis vs. Firea
|Poll source||Date(s)||Sample size||Iohannis||Firea||Undecided||None||Margin of error|
|Avangarde||3–12 May 2017||800||40%||44%||6%||10%||±3.47%|
- Constitution of Romania, Article 83
- Digi24 (23 June 2018). "Klaus Iohannis va candida pentru un nou mandat de președinte: „Sunt ferm hotărât"". www.digi24.ro. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Niculescu, Anghel. "Ludovic Orban a anunţat pe cine va susţine PNL la alegerile prezidenţiale din 2019! „Mă voi bate cu toată forţa mea să obţinem un nou mandat pentru Klaus Iohannis"". Express de Banat (in Romanian). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Sebastian Zachmann (11 March 2018). "Decizie PNL. Liberalii îl susţin pe Klaus Iohannis pentru un nou mandat de preşedinte. Ludovic Orban - premierul PNL". Adevărul (in Romanian).
- "Deputat PSD: Candidez la prezidențialele din 2019 (Video)". Cotidianul (in Romanian). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "Olguța Vasilescu: Dragnea ar putea fi preşedinte". Digi24 (in Romanian). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Pușcaș, Florin. "Dragnea nu respinge ideea unei candidaturi la prezidenţiale: 'Aş fi un preşedinte român'". stiripesurse (in Romanian). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Leca, Iulian. "Firea, viitorul președinte?". Ziare.com (in Romanian). Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "Sondaj Avangarde: Cine ar câștiga alegerile într-o competiție Iohannis – Firea? Cum arată clasamentul încrederii în personalități". HotNews.ro (in Romanian). May 16, 2017.
- Andrei Marian (August 9, 2017). "Posibil CANDIDAT surpriză la ALEGERILE din 2019". Evenimentul zilei (in Romanian).
- Alina Neagu (13 February 2018). "Dan Barna: USR va avea candidat la prezidențiale, decis de un referendum în cadrul partidului. Dacian Cioloș poate fi o variantă". HotNews.
- "Tăriceanu se încălzește pentru prezidențiale. ALDE analizează sondaje pentru Cotroceni". Antena 3 (in Romanian). 10 April 2018.
- "Tăriceanu, despre "varianta optimă" la alegerile prezidențiale". Digi 24 (in Romanian). 4 May 2018.
- Rodica Mitu (26 October 2017). "Alegeri prezidenţiale 2019. Ponta: Pro România va avea un candidat". DC News (in Romanian).
- "Și dacă ar candida și Cioloș, și Iohannis? Ce spune Dragoș Pîslaru, susținător al fostului premier". Digi 24 (in Romanian). 28 May 2018.
- Radu Eremia (8 June 2018). "Cioloș: Nu voi candida împotriva lui Iohannis la prezidențiale". Adevărul (in Romanian).