2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games
|Host city||Abu Dhabi|
|Country||United Arab Emirates|
|Motto||Meet the Determined (Arabic: تلبية العزم)|
|Nations participating||170 (expected)|
|Athletes participating||7,000 (expected)|
|Opening ceremony||March 14|
|Closing ceremony||March 21|
The 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games is a multi-sport event for athletes with intellectual disabilities in the tradition of the Special Olympics movement. It will be held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates from March 14–21, 2019.
There were three finalists chosen from the countries who had submitted bids to host the games: Australia, Germany, and South Africa. However, all three countries had withdrawn their bids by April 2015. In November 2016 it was announced that the Emirate of Abu Dhabi would host the 2019 summer games. This will be the first time that the Special Olympics will be held in the Middle East / North Africa Region. Due to the region's climate, the games will be held during the local late winter/early spring. The games will be held between March 14-21, 2019.
The opening ceremony will take place on March 14, 2019 at the Zayed Sports City Stadium.
The closing ceremony will take place on 21 March 2019 at the Zayed Sports City Stadium where the Special Olympics flag will handed over from Abu Dhabi to Jämtland County,Sweden as the hosts of the 2021 Special Olympics World Winter Games.
Logo and branding
The logo was unveiled on March 25, 2017 during the handover part at the closing ceremony of the 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games in Graz, Austria. The logo was projected on the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. The logo is inspired by a palm frond weaving leaves (khoos) and in the middle is the Special Olympics symbol in a red circle.
|Sponsors of the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games |
- Report, Staff (16 November 2016). "Abu Dhabi to host 2019 Special Olympic World Games".
- "2019 Special Olympics World Games Finalists Announced". Special Olympics (specialolympics.org). Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "World Games in MENA for the First Time". specialolympics.org.
- "Delegations". 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games. 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games Organizing Committee. Archived from the original on 2015-07-24. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Abu Dhabi Launches Countdown to Special Olympics World Games 2019". broadwayworld.com. 27 March 2017.
|This Olympics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|