2019 in Belgium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||Other events of 2019|
List of years in Belgium
- 1 January — Fifteen Flemish municipalities merge into seven, the first such merges for several decades
- January — A ban on Kosher and halal slaughter comes into effect in the Flanders region of Belgium. The northern region of Belgium is the first to implement the ban. Similar restrictions will be in place in the southern Wallonia region from September.
- 26 May – European elections, regional elections and federal election
- 29 May – King Philippe held an official meeting with the leader of the nationalist Vlaams Belang party, Tom Van Grieken. According to Belgian media, 1936 was the last time a far-right leader had had an official meeting with the king.
- 25 July – The hottest day on record in Belgium, with a temperature of 39.7°C measured at the Royal Meteorological Institute in Ukkel and of 41.8°C in Begijnendijk.
- 20 May – Dardenne brothers film Young Ahmed screened at 2019 Cannes Film Festival, winning them Best Director award.
- 21 May – Plans to build microbrewery inside Grimbergen Abbey publicised.
This section needs to be updated.June 2019)(
- 4 January – Wiet Van Broeckhoven, 69, Belgian radio presenter and writer. 
- 19 April – Patrick Sercu, 74, Belgian cyclist.
- 5 August – Bjorg Lambrecht, 22, cyclist.
- 9 August – José Desmarets, 93, politician.
|Wikinews has related news: Category: Belgium|
- "Philippe, king of Belgium | king of Belgium". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- Ella Wills (7 January 2019). "Belgium ban on kosher and halal slaughter methods comes into effect". Evening Standard.
- Jennifer Rankin (29 May 2019). "Belgian king's meeting with far-right leader sparks controversy". The Guardian.
- Kathleen Heylen (26 July 2019). "Zo uitzonderlijk was het gisteren: 41,8 graden in Begijnendijk" (in Dutch). VRT Nieuws.
- Peter Bradshaw (20 May 2019). "Young Ahmed review: subtle and timely tale of radicalisation". The Guardian.
- Peter Debruge (25 May 2019). "Bong Joon-ho's Parasite wins the Palme d'Or at Cannes". Variety.
- Daniel Boffey (21 May 2019). "Belgian monks resurrect 220-year-old beer after finding recipe". The Guardian.
- "L'ex-cycliste Patrick Sercu est décédé à l'âge de 74 ans". rtbf.be (in French). RTBF.
- "José Desmarets, ancien ministre de la Défense, est décédé". La Libre. 9 August 2019.
- Media related to 2019 in Belgium at Wikimedia Commons