2019 in archaeology
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Table of years in archaeology|
|Related time period or subjects|
|Art Archaeology Architecture Literature Music Science more |
In Template:Year nav topic: extra parameters: science
This page lists major events of 2019 in archaeology.
- January 3 - A temple built between 1000 and 1260 CE and dedicated to Xipe Totec (Flayed Lord) is discovered in Ndachjian-Tehuacan, Puebla.
- January 24 - A collection of 20 tombs is discovered in Kom Al-Khelgan in the Nile Delta, dating back to the Middle Kingdom and the beginning of the New Kingdom, from about 1640 to 1540 B.C.
- January 25 - Announcement of discovery of the coffin of Captain Matthew Flinders (d. 1814) in London excavations in advance of High Speed 2.
- January 26 - A collection of nine tombs is discovered in Qubbet el-Hawa near Aswan, dating back to the Old Kingdom.
- January 31 - Announcement of discovery of evidence of Iron Age beer making from c.400 B.C. in Cambridgeshire, England.
- February - A "two gamboling goats" plaque is discovered at Arslantepe, the capital of the Neo-Hittite kingdom of Melid.
- February 2 - A collection of fifty mummies is discovered in Tuna el-Gebel in Minya Governorate, dating back to the Ptolemaic Kingdom.
- February 4 - 400 ancient stone monuments are found near Tifariti in Western Sahara, dating back to over 10,000 years ago to 3,000 years ago.
- February 7 - Roman lead coffins are discovered in Surrey, decorated with scallop shells which might refer to fertility and rebirth in the Romano-Celtic culture.
- February 13 - An ancient shipyard is found at the Tel Abu Saifi archaeological site in the northern Sinai Peninsula, which might have been the Roman fortress of Silla.
- February 27 - A criosphinx and other unfinished sculptures are discovered at the Gebel el-Silsila, dates back to the reign of Amenhotep III.
- March 10 - An ancient city, probably one of the three ancient capitals of the Qin Dynasty (Chinese: 废丘), was found accidentally by workers who were building the Xi'an Metro.
- March 25 - A number of Aztec sacrifices including a richly adorned jaguar dressed as a warrior at the Templo Mayor in Mexico City may lead to Moctezuma II's tomb.
- March 26
- Ancient inscriptions are found on carved rocks, stelai and ostraka at the Amethyst mining site of Wadi el-Hudi, dating back to the Middle Kingdom.
- A port used to transport stones from their quarries to the pyramid sites is located near Gebel el-Silsila on the east bank of the Nile, dating back to the 18th dynasty.
- March 28 - Announcement of discovery of remains of a B-24 bomber that crashed into the sea near Bermuda in 1945.
- March 30 - A 14-year old boy in Glasgow, Scotland, discovers long-lost medieval stone carvings in a cemetery.
- April 1 - French archaeologists in Iraqi Kurdistan discover the remains of a lost city at Kunara, near the Zagros Mountains.
- April 3 - Announcements of discoveries of:
- April 5 - A tomb is discovered at Al-Dayabat archaeological site in Sohag Governorate, dating back to the Ptolemaic era.
- April 10 - A new species of hominin, Homo luzonensis, is announced as being found in Callao Cave, Luzon, Philippines. At 67,000 years old, these are the oldest hominin remains found in the archipelago.
- April 13 - A tomb is found in Saqqara, dating back to the Fifth Dynasty of Egypt.
- May 4 - Announcement of discovery of the tomb of two officials near the Giza pyramid complex, dating back to the Fifth Dynasty of Egypt.
- May 14 - An ancient desert fortress is found at Tell El-Kadwa, Sinai Peninsula, dating back to the reign of Psamtik I.
- May 18 - Announcement of discovery of a coin of the short-lived Roman usurper Laelianus in Cambridgeshire, England.
- May 21 - A 150 feet (46 m)-long by 50 feet (15 m)-wide Roman building uncovered at Abbey Farm in Faversham.
- May 22
- May 24
- June 8 - A 5,000-year-old underground city is discovered in Çalış, Avanos, Nevşehir Province, Cappadocia.
- June 13 - 8,000-year-old carvings by Khoisan people are discovered at the Vredefort crater.
- June 15–16 - Remains of Tranent to Cockenzie Waggonway (1722) excavated near Cockenzie and Port Seton in Scotland.
- June 22 - A Byzantine baptismal font is discovered in the Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem.
- June 28 - A 3,400-year-old Bronze Age palace is found in Kemune, Iraqi Kurdistan; it dates back to the Mittani Empire.
- July 17 - A 9,000-year-old city is discovered near Motza, west of Jerusalem; it dates back to the Neolithic period.
- July 18
- July 26 - A Greek temple and treasure-laden ships are found at the sunken city of Heracleion, Egypt.
- July 31 - Remains of Graeco-Roman Senate are discovered in Pelusium, Egypt.
- August 20 - A 3,800-year-old mural was uncovered at the Vichama site, Huaura Province, north of Lima, Peru.
- January 21 - A recently "discovered" recumbent stone circle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, thought to date from around 4,000 years BP, is shown to be about 20 years old.
- March 29 - Announcement that Norway will return Easter Island artefacts taken by Thor Heyerdahl fifty years ago.
- July 22 - Announcement that a Baltic Sea wreck, first located in 2009, has been identified earlier in the year as belonging to a date around 1500 and in an excellent state of preservation.
- January 14 - Rainer Stadelmann, German Egyptologist (born 1933)
- January 16 - Barbara Tsakirgis, American archaeologist (born 1954)
- January 18 - Lamia Al-Gailani Werr, Iraqi archaeologist (born 1938)
- March 10 - Sebastiano Tusa, Italian archaeologist (born 1952)
- March 20 - Ralph Solecki, American archaeologist (born 1917)
- "Viking hall where powerful chieftain may have quaffed an ale is uncovered". Metro. London. 2019-08-07. p. 7.
- "Pre-Aztec temple to 'Flayed Lord' fertility god depicted as skinned human corpse discovered in Mexico". Independent. Jan 3, 2019. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "3,500-Year-Old Tombs Unearthed in Egypt's Nile Delta". Archaeology.org. 2019-01-24.
- Addley, Esther (2019-01-25). "Grave of Matthew Flinders discovered after 200 years near London station". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- "Nine Old Kingdom tombs discovered in Upper Egypt's Aswan". Ahram.org. 2019-01-26.
- Siddique, Haroon (2019-01-31). "Early pint: evidence of 'first British beer' found in Cambridgeshire". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Artifact". Archaeology.org.
- "Egypt mummies: New tombs found in Minya". BBC News. 2019-02-02.
- "Stone Monuments in Western Sahara Record How People Adapted to Shifting Climate". Atlas Obscura. 2019-02-04.
- "Roman lead coffins recovered in Surrey". Archaeology.co.uk. 2019-02-07.
- "Ancient workshop for construction of boats uncovered in Sinai". Ahram Online. 2019-02-13.
- "Ram-Headed Sphinx Abandoned by King Tut's Grandfather Found in Egypt". Live Science. 2019-02-27.
- "China's Xi'an builds modernity while preserving historical legacy". en.people.cn. 14 March 2019.
- Exclusive: Aztec war sacrifices found in Mexico may point to elusive royal tomb, Reuters, March 25, 2019, retrieved April 1, 2019
- "100 Ancient Egyptian Inscriptions Found at Amethyst Mining Site". Live Science. 26 March 2019.
- "Egypt discovers ancient port used by temple builders". City News 1130. 26 March 2019.
- Rogers, James (March 28, 2019). "Wreck of US WWII B-24 bomber discovered 74 years after it plunged into the sea off Bermuda". Fox News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Rogers, James (March 30, 2019). "Schoolboy discovers long-lost 1,000-year old stone monuments from ancient kingdom". Fox News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Rogers, James (April 1, 2019). "Mysterious 4,000-year-old city discovered". Fox News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Parry, Richard Lloyd (2019-04-03). "Final resting place of sailor who inspired TV's Shogun". The Times (72811). London. p. 3.
- "Dutch container search reveals rare ancient shipwreck". CNA. 2019-04-04. Retrieved 2019-04-04.[dead link]
- "In Photos: Ptolemaic-era tomb discovered in Upper Egypt's Sohag". Ahram Online. 5 April 2019.
- "A mysterious species related to humans has been discovered". CNN. April 10, 2019. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- "Egyptian antiquities minister takes ambassadors to visit newly discovered tomb in Saqqara". Ahram Online. 13 April 2019.
- "Ancient tomb discovered in Egypt dating back 2,500 years". Sky News. 2019-05-04. Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- "Archaeological team uncovers ancient fortress towers in North Sinai". Egypt Independent. 2019-05-14.
- "'Incredibly rare' Roman coin found during A14 roadworks". BBC News. 2019-05-18. Retrieved 2019-05-20.
- "Roman building uncovered at Abbey Farm in Faversham by Kent Archaeological Field School". Kent Online. 21 May 2019.
- Koplowitz, Howard (2019-05-22). "Clotilda, the last American slave ship, found in Alabama, Historical Commission says". AL.com. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "Officials: Last slave ship from Africa ID'd on Alabama coast". WALA-TV. 2019-05-22. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- Ingber, Sasha (2019-05-22). "Alabama Historians Say The Last Known Slave Ship To U.S. Has Been Found". NPR. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "Building work uncovers 17th Century fort in Stornoway". BBC News. 22 May 2019.
- "2,300-Year-Old Bark Shield Showcases a Previously Unknown Iron Age Technology". Gizmodo. 24 May 2019.
- "Archaeologists find remains of the Roman invasion of Ayrshire". The Herald. 24 May 2019.
- "Mysterious flooding leads to discovery of 5,000-year-old underground city in Turkey's Cappadocia". Daily Sabah. 8 June 2019.
- "8,000-year-old carvings by ancient humans discovered in world's biggest asteroid impact crater". Newsweek. 13 June 2019.
- "1722 Waggonway found!". The Waggonway Project. 1722 Waggonway Heritage Group. 2019-06-18. Retrieved 2019-07-10.
- "Byzantine baptismal font possibly discovered in West Bank". Sky News. 22 June 2019.
- "Archaeologists uncover ancient palace of the Mittani Empire in Kurdistan Region". Kurdistan24. 28 June 2019.
- "Archaeology's Neolithic 'big bang' moment found in a 9,000-year-old city near Jerusalem". ABC News. 17 July 2019.
- "Israel mosque find: Archaeologists unearth 1,200-year-old ruins in desert". BBC News. 18 July 2019.
- "Church of the Apostles Found by Sea of Galilee, Archaeologists Claim". Haaretz. 18 July 2019.
- "Mysterious temple discovered in the ruins of sunken ancient city". 9news.com. 26 July 2019.
- "Remains of Graeco-Roman Senate building uncovered in North Sinai". Egypt Independent. 31 July 2019.
- "Mural from 3,800 years ago unveiled by Peru archaeologists". BBC News. 20 August 2019.
- "'Ancient' Aberdeenshire stone circle found to be replica". BBC News. 2019-01-21. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "Norway to return thousands of Easter Island artifacts taken by explorer Thor Heyerdahl". Fox News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Starr, Michelle (2019-07-23). "A 500-Year-Old Shipwreck Has Turned Up Perfectly Intact on Bottom of The Baltic Sea". sciencealert. Retrieved 2019-07-25.
- "Obituary Prof. Dr. Rainer Stadelmann". German Archaeological Institute. 2019-01-17. Retrieved 2019-01-17.
- "Obituary of Barbara Tsakirgis". Neighbours Life Celebration Services. 2019. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- Wick, Steve (2019-03-29). "Archeologist Ralph Solecki remembered as 'pioneer' of North Fork history". The Suffolk Times. Suffolk County, New York. Retrieved 2019-04-04.