2019 in rail transport
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that are currently scheduled to occur in 2019. Please be aware that the actual dates on which these events occur may differ substantially from what is shown here.
- January 2 – Great Belt Bridge train accident: A DSB passenger train hits debris from a freight train in a storm on the Great Belt Fixed Link, killing 6.
- January 8 – Mountain View train collision: Two passenger trains collide at Mountain View station in Pretoria, killing at least 4 and injuring at least 620.
- January 10 – TEXRail commences regular revenue service. The January 4 opening was suspended due to signal issues identified during an inspection less than 12 hours before service was scheduled to begin.
- January 26 – Los Angeles Metro Rail Blue Line Improvements Project begins, which will upgrade signalling and infrastructure on large sections of the line with closures for up to eight months.
- February 11 – After a 15 year hiatus, the BART SFO–Millbrae line restarts weekday operations, reestablishing a one-seat ride between Caltrain and San Francisco International Airport.
- February 15 – Train 18 is inaugurated for public service.
- February 17 – Newcastle Light Rail in Newcastle, New South Wales, is opened.
- February 25 – Wabtec and GE Transportation are formally merged to become a global leader in railroad manufacturing and specializing in railroad-related services.
- February 27 – Ramses Station rail disaster: An Egyptian National Railways train buffer stop collision and subsequent fire kills at least 25 people at Ramses Station in Cairo.
- April 20 – Light rail in Canberra starts operations; it is the second new light railway to be opened in Australia in 2019 (after the Newcastle Light Rail).
- April 22 – Ceremony to mark work on reinstating the rail link across the Cambodian–Thai border between Aranyaprathet and Poipet.
- April 25 – Panama Metro Line 2 begins service in Panama City.
- April 26 – Opening of the FasTracks commuter rail G Line in Denver, Colorado, originally estimated to open in late 2016.
- May 9 – The first ALFA-X train set is shown to the public. The driving coach has a 22 meters-length "duck-shaped" front end. This train set is being tested at 360–400 kph.
- May 18
- – Opening of Valley Metro Rail Gilbert Road Extension in Mesa, Arizona.
- – The last full-length Great Western Railway InterCity 125 trains leave London Paddington station, the final service being the 18.30 to Taunton and Exeter (the same set briefly returns to Paddington on June 1 as part of the 'Flying Banana' farewell tour across the GWR network before going off-lease).
- May 19 – Opening of Denver RTD Light Rail Southeast Rail Extension to RidgeGate.
- May 26 – Sydney Metro Northwest, Australia's first dedicated rapid transit line, commences operations.
- May 29 – Touristic Eastern Express inaugurated by Turkish State Railways.
- May 31 – Copenhagen–Ringsted Line starts operation.
- June 9 – Go-Ahead Germany commences operating.
- June 11 – A train on the MBTA Red Line derails near JFK/UMass station in Boston, Massachusetts due to a fractured axle. Delays and unusual transfer patterns persisted along the line for months following the incident.
- June 21 – Opening of Ion rapid transit LRT.
- June 23 – Opening of Lanzhou Metro.
- September 7 – Altamont Corridor Express begins weekend service.
- September 14 – The Confederation Line opens as part of the O-Train network in Ottawa, Ontario.
- September 28
- September 30 – Schiedam–Hoek van Holland railway conversion into subway line, after several delays.
- – expected opening of the first line of Moscow Central Diameters network in Moscow. Some lines, previously located independently, will now be connected. Until 2023 and later the total length of MCD network will consist of 446 km lines (for example, the length of Berlin S-Bahn is now 331,5 km).
- December 8 – West Coast Rail to commence operating the West Coast Partnership
- December 28 – Tentative opening of the Berryessa segment of the Silicon Valley BART extension.
- – Opening of CBD and South East Light Rail, the second light rail line in Sydney.
- – Tentative opening of Taipei Metro Circular Line (First Section).
- – Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit is expected to extend service to Larkspur Landing, facilitating a rail-ferry link to San Francisco.
- – Withdrawal of 700 Series Shinkansen from Tokaido Shinkansen line.
- – Tri-Rail Downtown Miami Link is expected to open.
- – Guangzhou Metro's length exceeds 400km, being pushed into top-3 by its length.[clarification needed] Now the first 3 out of 5 longest metro systems are Chinese.[original research?]
- "Train accident on Danish bridge kills six". BBC News. January 2, 2019. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- Thom, Liezl (January 8, 2019). "4 killed, hundreds injured in rush hour train crash in South Africa". ABC News. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Ladner, Darren (January 7, 2019). "TEXRail Passenger Service". Trinity Metro. Retrieved January 8, 2019.
- Leszcynski, Ray (January 4, 2019). "TEXRail calls off Saturday's planned debut after signal issue stalls federal clearance". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- "Metro Blue Line Improvements Project" (PDF). Blue Line Improvements Project: Proposed Blue Line Bus Shuttle Service for South Closure, January 26 (4am) – late May 2019. Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved December 14, 2018.
- "It's a date - free community open day for Newcastle Light Rail on 17 February". Transport for NSW. January 31, 2019. Retrieved February 17, 2019.
- "Cairo station fire: Train crash causes deadly blaze". BBC News. February 27, 2019. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- Farras, Bernhart; Asmara, Chandra Gian (March 24, 2019). "Resmikan MRT Jakarta, Jokowi: Sebuah Peradaban Baru Dimulai". CNBC Indonesia. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- Associated Press (April 22, 2019). "Cambodian and Thai leaders mark reopening of rail link". ABC News. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Rivera, Lourdes. "Presidente Varela entrega la Línea 2 del Metro de Panamá, obra construida con "transparencia y eficiencia" – El Metro de Panamá".
- "Panama City metro Line 2 begins commercial service". Railway Technology. April 29, 2019. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- Wingerter, Meg (April 1, 2019). "RTD: Long-delayed G-Line from Denver to Wheat Ridge will open April 26". The Denver Post. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Geuss, Megan (May 10, 2019). "Japanese railway company starts testing 249mph bullet train speeds". Ars Technica. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Celebrate with us on May 18! Two more miles of light rail open in Mesa". Valley Metro. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- Aguilar, John (January 25, 2019). "Light-rail extension into Lone Tree set to start passenger service May 19". Denver Post. Retrieved January 27, 2019.
- "Sydney Metro to open in three weeks". Transport for NSW. May 5, 2019. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "Launch of operations as timetable changes". Go-Ahead. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- MacNeill, Arianna (August 16, 2019). "Two months after the Red Line derailed, here's a look at what's happened since". Boston Globe. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- "Ion launch date set for June 21". Waterloo Region Record. May 8, 2019. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- Barrow, Keith (April 10, 2019). "Abellio selected for East Midlands franchise". International Railway Journal.
- Holland, John (August 30, 2019). "ACE will launch Saturday trains to San Jose. And you can sleep in a little". Modesto Bee. Retrieved September 13, 2019.
- Watson, Jim (August 23, 2019). "Line 1 opens on Sept. 14". octranspo.com. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- "Status på Cityringen" [Status at Cityringen] (in Danish). Retrieved June 21, 2019.
- "Seoul Gimpo Gold Line automated light metro opens". International Railway Journal. September 30, 2019. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- "West Coast marks new partnership model for rail". gov.uk. Department for Transport, Scotland Office, and Grant Shapps. August 14, 2019.
- Martichoux, Alix (October 1, 2019). "Are the Milpitas and Berryessa BART stations going to open on time? It's complicated". SF Gate. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Matt (March 7, 2019). "Sydney's troubled light rail line set for staged opening to passengers". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- Central News Agency (February 12, 2019). "1st section of Taipei MRT Circular Line to go into service in Q4". Taiwan News.
- Fixler, Kevin (August 30, 2019). "SMART eyes closing 90-minute Marin-Sonoma service gaps with revised schedule, extension to Larkspur". North Bay Business Journal. Press-Democrat. Retrieved September 12, 2019.
- Turnbell, Michael (January 30, 2015). "Tri-Rail link to downtown Miami needs $69 million in funds to happen". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- Maruri, Katya (April 17, 2018). "Tri-Rail won't roll into downtown Miami this year". Miami Today. Retrieved May 11, 2018.