2020 Artsakhian general election
This article documents a current election. Information may change rapidly as the election progresses, until official results have been published. Initial news reports may be unreliable, and the last updates to this article may not reflect the most current information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
General elections were held in the Republic of Artsakh on 31 March 2020. Voters elected the President and 33 members of the National Assembly. It was the first time the President and National Assembly were elected at the same time.
Presidential elections were initially scheduled to be held by popular vote in 2017, five years after the 2012 elections. However, after a constitutional referendum in 2017, the country switched from a semi-presidential system to a presidential system. As a result, in the 2017 presidential elections the National Assembly re-elected Bako Sahakyan as President for the next three years until the general election.
The President of Artsakh is elected using the two-round system. If a candidate takes more than 50% of the overall vote, he or she is declared elected. If the 50% threshold is not met by any candidate, a second round of voting is held. In the second round, only the two most popular candidates from the first round may participate. The winner of the second round is elected President of Artsakh.
Potential presidential candidates
- Arayik Harutyunyan, President's advisor, former Prime Minister and State Minister
- Masis Mayilyan, current Foreign Affairs Minister
- Vitaly Balasanyan, former Secretary of the National Security Council of Artsakh
- Ashot Ghoulyan, current leader of the Democratic Party of Artsakh
140 international observers from 38 countries were registered with the Central Election Commission to monitor the election. At the time of the election, Artsakh’s border with Armenia was closed to non-essential travel due to the Coronavirus pandemic. However, international observers were granted an exception provided they first test negative for COVID-19.
Several members of the United States Congress announced that their office employees and senior advisers would visit Artsakh to observe the elections. Congressman Frank Pallone stated that "We want to highlight that democracy works in Artsakh and is in accordance with all the standards of free society."
The European Union, the OSCE Minsk Group, NATO, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, the GUAM Organization for Democracy and Economic Development, the Cooperation Council of Turkic-Speaking States and the governments and embassies of Azerbaijan, Canada, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Montenegro, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom announced they did not recognise the election and viewed it as counter-productive to the peaceful resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
|Justice of Artsakh||5,865||7.90||New||3||New|
|Armenian Revolutionary Federation||4,717||6.40||–12.4||3||–4|
|Democratic Party of Artsakh||4,269||5.80||–13.3||2||–4|
|New Arakh Alliance||3,305||4.50||New||0||New|
|Artsakh Conservative Party||2,108||2.87||New||0||New|
|Artsakh Revolutionary Party||1,660||2.26||New||0||New|
|United Armenia Party||958||1.30||New||0||New|
|Generation of Independence Party||656||0.89||New||0||New|
|Communist Party of Artsakh||480||0.65||–1.00||0||0|
|Source: CEC, Armenanews|
- The new constitution of Artsakh will lead to concentration of power and resources Archived 20 August 2017 at the Wayback Machine Media Centre, 21 February 2017
- "Bako Sahakyan re-elected President of Artsakh". mediamax.am. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Բակո Սահակյանը 2020-ին չի առաջադրվի նախագահի պաշտոնում". www.civilnet.am (in Armenian). Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Բակո Սահակյանը հայտարարել է 2020-ին չառաջադրվելու որոշման մասին". «Ազատ Եվրոպա/Ազատություն» ռադիոկայան (in Armenian). Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Article 107 Constitution of the Republic of Artsakh
- "Ո՞վ է հավակնում 2020 թվականին դառնալ Արցախի նախագահ. ընդդիմությունը լուրջ է տրամադրված". Armtimes.com (in Armenian). Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- LLC, Helix Consulting. "Candidacies of Artsakh FM Masis Mayilyan, President spokesperson Davit Babayan nominated at upcoming presidential elections in Artsakh - aysor.am - Hot news from Armenia". www.aysor.am.
- Վիտալի Բալասանյանը չի բացառում՝ 2020-ին կարող է պայքարել ԼՂ նախագահի պաշտոնի համար (in Armenian), retrieved 1 February 2019
- Democratic Congress 2020 Ashot Ghulyan has been nominated for the presidential election (in Armenian), retrieved 15 January 2020
- President Bako Sahakyan Dismisses Calls to Postpone Artsakh Election, retrieved 1 April 2020
- Several US Congressmen to send their office staffers to Artsakh to observe elections, retrieved 19 February 2020
- EU doesn’t recognize the “legal framework” of NK elections. News.am. 31 March 2020.
- Press Statement by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group. OSCE. 31 March 2020.
- Nagorno-Karabakh: elections despite pandemic and international criticism. Caucasus Watch. 31 March 2020.
- L'OCI rejette la tenue d'élections dans le Nagorno-Karabakh occupé. 31 March 2020
- GUAM condemns so-called “elections” in Azerbaijan’s occupied territories. Trend. 31 March 2020
- STATEMENT BY THE COOPERATION COUNCIL OF TURKIC SPEAKING STATES. 31 March 2020.
- Illegal “elections” in the occupied territories of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Azertag. 6 March 2020.
- Canada supports the territorial integrity Azerbaijan and doesn’t recognize the so-called “elections” held in Nagorno-Karabakh on 31/3. Embassy of Canada in Turkey (accredited in Azerbaijan). Twitter. 1 April 2020.
- Statement of the MFA on „Presidential and Parliamentary Elections” in Nagorno-Karabakh. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. 1 April 2020.
- Estonia MFA: Estonia does not consider the so-called elections in Nagorno Karabakh as legitimate. We continue to support the mediation efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs.. Twitter.
- Ana Dumbadze. Georgian MFA: We Don't Recognize "Elections" in N. Kharabkh. Georgia Today. 1 April 2020.
- We do not recognize the legal framework of the so called „presidential and parliamentary elections“ that took place yesterday in #Nagorno-Karabakh. Both the elections and their results are considered illegal. Michael Siebert. Twitter. 1 April 2020.
- No recogniton of the so-called presidential and parliamentary elections in #NagornoKarabakh by Italy.. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy. Twitter.
- #Latvia does not consider the so-called presidential and parliamentary elections in #NagornoKarabakh as legitimate. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Latvia. Twitter. 31 March 2020.
- MFA Montenegro: The so-called “presidential and parliamentary elections” in Nagorno-Karabakh, held on March 31, 2020 don’t serve that goal, nor can prejudice the determination of the future status of Nagorno-Karabakh, or the outcome of the ongoing negotiation process. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Montenegro. Twitter. 2 April 2020.
- Elections in Upper Karabakh null and void, Turkish Foreign Ministry says. Daily Sabah. 30 March 2020.
- UkrInform: Ukraine condemns elections in Nagorno-Karabakh. Kyiv Post. 31 March 2020.
- UK does not recognize so-called “elections” in occupied Azerbaijani territories. News.az. 1 April 2020.