2020 Democrats Abroad primary
21 Democratic National Convention delegates (13 pledged, 8 unpledged with 4 total votes)
The number of pledged delegates won is determined by the popular vote
The 2020 Democrats Abroad primary took place from March 3 to March 10, 2020, a global vote during the Democratic Party presidential primaries for the 2020 U.S. election allowing American citizens living outside the United States to participate in the nomination process.
The Democrats Abroad party-run primary awards 21 delegates towards the 2020 Democratic National Convention, holding 17 votes, of which 13 are pledged delegates allocated on the basis of the results of the process.
Eligibility: Voters must have meet the following criteria to vote
- Be abroad and be a U.S. citizen
- Be a member of Democrats Abroad
- Be 18 as of November 3, 2020
- Not have voted, nor plan to vote, in any other 2020 state presidential primary
Voters abroad also voted by downloading a ballot and emailing or postal mailing it to Democrats Abroad from February 18, 2020. Ballots must have been received prior to 12:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time on March 11, 2020. No proxy voting was permitted.
Candidates must have met a threshold of 15 percent in order to be allocated pledged delegates to the National Convention. The 13 pledged delegates to the 2020 Democratic National Convention were allocated proportionally on the basis of the results of the party-run primary, also classified as a caucus, including one party leader and elected official (PLEO delegate). These delegate totals did not account for potential bonus delegates or penalties.
Regional conventions will be held for the Americas, Asia-Pacific, and Europe-Middle East-Africa regions on Friday, May 15 and Saturday, May 16, 2020, selecting 9 national convention delegates, with the number each region is eligible to designate dependent on the proportion of ballots within each region. Between Saturday, May 16 and Sunday, May 17, 2020, the global convention will meet to elect a sole pledged PLEO delegate and 3 at-large delegates to send to the Democratic National Convention. The 13 pledged delegates Democrats Abroad sends to the national convention will be joined by 8 automatic delegates who each have a half vote (i.e., 4 automatic delegate votes).
Results of the primary were announced on Monday, March 23, 2020.
|Elizabeth Warren (withdrawn)[a]||5,730||14.3|
|Michael Bloomberg (withdrawn)[a]||892||2.2|
|Pete Buttigieg (withdrawn)||616||1.5|
|Amy Klobuchar (withdrawn)||224||0.6|
|Andrew Yang (withdrawn)||85||0.2|
|Deval Patrick (withdrawn)||26||0.1|
|Tom Steyer (withdrawn)||19||0.1|
- Candidate withdrew during the voting period.
- "Global Presidential Primary FAQ". democratsabroad.org. Democrats Abroad. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "The 2020 Global Presidential Primary Results Are In!". Democrats Abroad. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- Putnam, Josh. "The 2020 Presidential Primary Calendar". Frontloading HQ. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- "Democrats Abroad Global Presidential Primary in Brief". Democrats Abroad. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- "Democrats Abroad Democratic Delegation 2020". The Green Papers. May 3, 2019. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- "2020 Democrats Abroad primary results". ABC News. Retrieved March 23, 2020.