2020 United States Senate election in Colorado
|Elections in Colorado|
The 2020 United States Senate election in Colorado will be held on November 3, 2020, to elect a member of the United States Senate to represent the State of Colorado, concurrently with the 2020 U.S. presidential election, as well as other elections to the United States Senate in other states and elections to the United States House of Representatives and various state and local elections.
Under Colorado law, the filing deadline for U.S. Senate candidates is March 17, 2020, the third Tuesday in March of the election year. Incumbent Cory Gardner is just one of two Republican U.S. Senators facing reelection in 2020 in a state President Donald Trump lost in 2016, the other being Susan Collins from Maine.
- Cory Gardner, incumbent U.S. Senator and former U.S. Representative for Colorado's 4th congressional district
- Dan Baer, former executive director of the Colorado Department of Higher Education and former United States Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Diana Bray, psychologist and climate activist
- Ellen Burnes, Colorado State University professor and former chair of the Boulder County Democratic Party
- Lorena Garcia, community organizer
- John Hickenlooper, former Governor of Colorado and former candidate for President of the United States in 2020
- Mike Johnston, former State Senator and candidate for Governor of Colorado in 2018
- Dustin Leitzel, pharmacist
- Alice Madden, former Majority Leader of the Colorado House of Representatives
- Andrew Romanoff, former Speaker of the Colorado House of Representatives, candidate for the U.S. Senate in 2010, nominee for Colorado's 6th congressional district in 2014
- Stephany Rose Spaulding, University of Colorado Colorado Springs professor and nominee for Colorado's 5th congressional district in 2018
- John F. Walsh, former U.S. Attorney for the District of Colorado
- Michelle Ferrigno Warren, nonprofit leader and immigration advocate
- Angela Williams, State Senator
- Trish Zornio, biomedical scientist
- Diana DeGette, U.S. Representative for Colorado's 1st congressional district
- Kerry Donovan, State Senator
- Stan Garnett, former Boulder County District Attorney
- Cary Kennedy, former Colorado Treasurer
- Joe Neguse, U.S. Representative for Colorado's 2nd congressional district
- Joe Salazar, former State Representative
- Danielle Kombo, medical recruiter and businesswoman (endorsed Stephany Rose Spaulding)
- Keith Pottratz, technician and veteran (endorsed Lorena Garcia)
- Crisanta Duran, former Speaker of the Colorado House of Representatives (running for Colorado's 1st congressional district)
- Jena Griswold, Colorado Secretary of State
- Ed Perlmutter, U.S. Representative for Colorado's 7th congressional district
|Stephany Rose Spaulding|
|Garin-Hart-Yang Research Group||Jul 25–28, 2019||600||± 4.0%||–||6%||61%||10%||–||8%||–||–||15%|
|Public Policy Polling (D)||Jul 12–14, 2019||561||–||1%||4%||44%||3%||1%||12%||4%||3%||29%|
|Keating Research||Jul 1–3, 2019||–||± 4.4%||2%||15%||–||12%||2%||23%||2%||–||42%|
- with John Hickenlooper
|Emerson College||August 16–19, 2019||1,000||± 3.0%||40%||53%||8%|
|Global Strategy Group (D)[A]||August 13–14, 2019||617||± 3.9%||39%||49%||13%|
|Public Policy Polling (D)[B]||August 8–11, 2019||739||± 3.6%||38%||51%||12%|
- with Mike Johnston
|Global Strategy Group (D)[A]||August 13–14, 2019||617||± 3.9%||39%||50%||11%|
- Partisan clients
- Poll conducted for Mike Johnston
- Poll sponsored by 314 Action
- Poll sponsored by ProgressNow Colorado
- Poll sponsored by Our Lives on the Line
- Poll sponsored by Save My Care
- Griswold, Jena (2019). "Major Party Candidate Petition". Colorado Secretary of State. State of Colorado. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Colorado Revised Statutes Title 1 Elections § 1-4-801 Designation of party candidates by petition". Colorado Revised Statutes. State of Colorado. 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- Skelley, Geoffrey (July 1, 2019). "Democrats Found A Major Recruit To Take On Susan Collins in 2020". FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- Wingerter, Justin (April 15, 2019). "Dan Baer enters Democratic race against Cory Gardner, seeks to be first openly gay man elected to Senate". The Denver Post. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Luning, Ernest (April 3, 2019). "Climate activist Diana Bray joins crowded Democratic primary for Gardner's US Senate seat". Colorado Politics. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- Wingerter, Justin (April 17, 2019). "Colorado State professor is the latest entrant in U.S. Senate race". The Denver Post. Retrieved April 17, 2019.
- Zubeck, Pam (November 27, 2018). "Lorena Garcia announces challenge to Corey Gardner in 2020". Colorado Springs Independent. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Bowman, Bridget (February 13, 2019). "Colorado has never had a female senator. Could that change in 2020?". Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Garcia, Justin (August 21, 2019). "John Hickenlooper is running for U.S. Senate: "I'm not done fighting for the people of Colorado"". The Denver Post. Retrieved August 22, 2019.
- Ernest Luning (February 17, 2019). "Colorado Democrats lining up to take on Cory Gardner in 2020 U.S. Senate race". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Staver, Anna (January 31, 2019). "Mike Johnston to run for Senate, becoming Cory Gardner's highest-profile challenger yet". Denver Post. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Dustin Leitzel Announces New Campaign Website". Online PR Media. April 19, 2017. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- Paul, Jesse (May 9, 2019). "Alice Madden, former Democratic leader at Colorado Capitol, joins crowded primary to unseat Cory Gardner". The Colorado Sun. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- Staver, Anna (February 7, 2019). "Andrew Romanoff joins list of Democrats competing to challenge Cory Gardner". The Denver Post. Retrieved February 7, 2019.
- Wingerter, Justin (April 2, 2019). "Spaulding, former congressional candidate, is latest Democrat to challenge Cory Gardner". Greeley Tribune. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- @ZachMontellaro (April 16, 2019). "NEWS: Democrat @johnwalshco, a former U.S. attorney, jumped in to the #COSen race (first reported in Score: …). Announcement vid: "Our state deserves better than what we're getting from Donald Trump and Cory Gardner" #COpolitics" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Wingerter, Justin (August 6, 2019). "Denver immigration advocate joins U.S. Senate race". Denver Post. Retrieved August 7, 2019.
- Wingerter, Justin (July 8, 2019). "Angela Williams running for U.S. Senate in crowded race to face Cory Gardner". The Denver Post. Retrieved July 8, 2019.
- @trish_zornio (January 19, 2019). "It's official — I'm running for the U.S. Senate in Colorado 2020!
With your help, we can elect the first Millennial woman scientist!
#ThinkingForward" (Tweet). Retrieved January 19, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Burness, Alex (February 22, 2019). "Crisanta Duran rethinking 2020 Senate bid, eyeing possible primary against Diana DeGette". The Colorado Independent. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Littwin, Mike (January 31, 2019). "Littwin: In search of sage to explain why savvy Cory Gardner endorsed toxic Donald Trump". Colorado Independent. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Former Colorado House Speaker Crisanta Duran launches primary challenge to Democrat Diana DeGette". The Colorado Sun. February 24, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Ernest Luning (March 19, 2019). "Ex-U.S. Attorney for Colorado John Walsh leaves law firm to consider run against Cory Gardner". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Byars, Mitchell (July 7, 2017). "Boulder DA Stan Garnett won't run for Congress in 2018, but ponders 2020 Senate race". The Denver Post. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- Garcia, Nic (November 14, 2018). "Which Democrat will challenge U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner? Four names sit on top of insiders' lists". The Denver Post.
- Ernest Luning. "Douglas County Democrat Danielle Kombo jumps in race for Gardner's US Senate seat". Colorado Politics. Retrieved March 12, 2019.
- Kombo, Danielle. "Danielle Kombo drops U.S. Senate bid to support other grassroots candidates". Retrieved April 4, 2019 – via Facebook.
- "Keith Pottratz of Grand Junction bids for Cory Gardner's seat". The Denver Post. December 2, 2018. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- Pottrarz, Keith [@keithforCO] (May 8, 2019). "Hey everyone. It pains me to say this but I am withdrawing my candidacy for U. S Senate in Colorado. I have some family issues that require my attention and as a result I am unable to continue. However, I will be active supporting other candidates that I feel embody" (Tweet). Retrieved June 13, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Trujillo, Anne (February 24, 2019). "Crisanta Duran, former Colorado House Speaker, announces primary challenge to Rep. Diana DeGette". The Denver Post. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- "Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold is not running for US Senate". Denver Post. August 9, 2019.
- Paul, Jesse (August 17, 2019). "Here's who's running to unseat Republican U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner in 2020 — and who's thinking about it". The Colorado Sun. Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- Castro, Julian [@JulianCastro] (August 22, 2019). "One of the best ways to kickstart change in this country is to send Cory Gardner and Mitch McConnell home. I'm glad to see Governor @Hickenlooper wants to continue his service to the people of Colorado, who deserve someone in the Senate fighting for them. #COSen" (Tweet). Retrieved August 22, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Harris, Kamala [@KamalaHarris] (August 22, 2019). "With Mitch McConnell blocking pretty much every good idea in the book, taking back a Senate majority has never been more critical. @Hickenlooper can help us win one & will be a fantastic U.S. Senator. So watch his video and chip in a few bucks if you can" (Tweet). Retrieved August 22, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Yang, Andrew [@AndrewYang] (August 23, 2019). "Yes! Look forward to working with John to solve the real problems when we both get to DC. 😀👍🇺🇸" (Tweet). Retrieved August 23, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Luning, Ernest (April 24, 2019). "Democrat Mike Johnston lands big-name endorsements in US Senate primary". coloradopolitics. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Miller, Blair (April 16, 2019). "Former ambassador Dan Baer, ex-US Attorney John Walsh enter Democratic field for US Senate". thedenverchannel. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- "Endorsements – Andrew Romanoff for US Senate". Andrewromanoff.com. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- Official campaign websites
- Dan Baer (D) for Senate
- Diana Bray (D) for Senate
- Ellen Burnes (D) for Senate
- Lorena Garcia (D) for Senate
- Cory Gardner (R) for Senate
- John Hickenlooper (D) for Senate
- Mike Johnston (D) for Senate
- Alice Madden (D) for Senate
- Andrew Romanoff (D) for Senate
- Stephany Rose Spaulding (D) for Senate
- John Walsh (D) for Senate
- Michelle Ferrigno Warren (D) for Senate
- Angela Williams (D) for Senate
- Trish Zornio (D) for Senate