2020 Vision Initiative
The 2020 Vision Initiative in an initiative of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). IFPRI launched the 2020 Vision Initiative in 1993; the primary goal of the initiative is to reach sustainable food security for all by 2020. The Initiative also supports the goals set at the World Food Summit in 1996, to halve the number of chronically undernourished people on the Earth by the year 2015.
The 2020 Vision Initiative has two primary objectives:
- To develop and promote a shared vision and consensus for action for meeting food needs while reducing poverty and protecting the environment; and
- To generate information and encourage debate to influence action by national governments, nongovernmental organizations, the private sector, international development institutions, and other elements of civil society.
In May 2014, the next 2020 conference will be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on the topic: Building Resilience for Food and Nutrition Security
Several international conferences have been held to date:
- 2020 Conference on "Leveraging Agriculture for Improving Nutrition and Health" - February 10-12, 2011 New Delhi, India
- 2020 Conference on “Taking Action for the World’s Poor and Hungry People” - October 17–19, 2007, Beijing, China
- 2020 Conference on “Assuring Food and Nutrition Security in Africa by 2020” - April 1–3, 2004, Kampala, Uganda
- 2020 Conference on “Sustainable Food Security for All by 2020” - September 4-1, 2001, Bonn, Germany
- 2020 Conference, “The Vision, Challenge and Recommended Action” - June 13–15, 1995, Washington, DC