2028 Summer Olympics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2028 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXIV Olympiad, are a forthcoming international multi-sport event. Bidding for the host city will begin in 2019, with the winning bid to be announced around 2021.
- "Budapest can present a credible, competitive application for hosting the 2028 Olympics", Zsolt Borkai, the president of the Hungarian Olympic Committee told Hungarian business daily Napi Gazdaság on July 7, 2014. A report announced that Budapest was planning to bid on the 2028 Summer Olympics and the 2024 Summer Olympics. He additionally stated that Budapest was going to host the 2017 European Youth Olympic Festival, which was going to be like a practice for the 2028 Summer Olympics. However, he also said that Budapest would need to solve serious concerns surrounding transportation and Olympics sports facilities.
- On 25 October 2013, Attila Szalay-Berzeviczy, head of the Budapest Olympics Movement (BOM), made a statement that Budapest had a "realistic chance" of hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics, but said Budapest would focus on a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics first. Szalay-Berzeviczy also stated that the facilities in Hungary, such as transportation and sports venues, required significant work in advance of hosting any Olympics.
- On 8 November 2014, the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, had stated that the city's bid for 2024 Summer Olympics may be postponed because it is not able to afford the bid, and added that the city may go on with the 2028 bid. However, she also stated that Paris would go on with the referendum of whether or not to bid for the 2024 Games in January 2015. The French Sports Minister Valérie Fourneyron said that she clearly opposed the idea of Paris to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics for the sake of it.
- The former mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit, had stated that Berlin was exploring a bid for the 2024 or 2028 Olympic Games. Berlin hosted the 1936 Summer Olympics and last bid for the 2000 Summer Olympics, but was eliminated in the second round with the Olympics awarded to Sydney, Australia. As polls in Berlin showed, 55% of Berlin's population supported the application to host the 2024 Games. On 16 March 2015 the National Olympic Committee (DOSB) proposed Hamburg to be the candidate city from Germany for the 2024 Summer Olympics. However on 29 November 2015 a referendum was held in which 51.6% of the citizens voted against a bid for the Olympics. Although this means that Germany was no longer in the running for hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics, Berlin could still bid to host the 2028 Games.
- Democratic Party's mayor of Milan, Giuseppe Sala, said that Milan could likely present a bid to host 2028 or 2032 Games.
- On 29 October 2012, the Dutch cabinet, which was newly formed in 2012, announced that the government would no longer be supporting for the 2028 Summer Olympics, and that they wanted "Ambitions to get Dutch sports on an Olympic level, but without getting the Olympic Games to the Netherlands". The Dutch government consisting of the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD) and the Labour Party (PvdA) agreed in a discussion that the games were not going to get support. On 13 April 2014, the possible postponement of The Netherlands to host the 2028 Summer Olympics was reconfirmed, as Henk Stokhof, head Department of Sports at City of Amsterdam, said during the SportAccord International Convention in Belek that the possible Amsterdam bid for 2028 Olympics was 'cut short due to fears of the cost of the bid'. However, he also said that the bid could be revived later, which the bid could be decided whether or not it would be done in the future as far as 2019 or 2020.
- Rotterdam was to be the alternative option of the Amsterdam bid in the 2028 Summer Olympics. But with the Amsterdam bid being postponed, Rotterdam was also postponed.
- If Amsterdam does plan and get to host the 2028 Summer Olympics, then it would mark the 100th anniversary of the 1928 Summer Olympics, which was hosted in the same city.
- On 18 October 2013, Mikhail Radko, the leader of the group considering a possible 2024 Summer Olympics or 2028 Summer Olympics bid for Saint Petersburg told to Around the Rings (ATR) publication that the city is most likely going to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, but mentioned that the city may change to the 2028 bid for which it may have a better chance. Radko also wrote a letter to the public specifically mentioning about the 2028 Winter Olympics bid for Saint Petersburg, saying that the place was an 'open city' for the Olympics.
- Kazan hosted the 2015 World Aquatics Championships and the 2013 Summer Universiade. It will also be one of the host cities for the 2018 World Cup. The city has dubbed itself the "sports capital of Russia." "The door is closing and the Russian Olympic Committee, as far as I know, has no intention to put in a bid for the 2024 summer games," said Popov. "I don't think Kazan will bid for '24 but maybe for the future, '28." A lot of infrastructure was built for past events. Russia last hosted the Summer Olympic Games in 1980, in Moscow, as the Soviet Union.
- Dmitry Chernyshenko, the organizer of the 2014 Winter Olympics, says there's a huge potential in bringing the games back to Sochi. He revealed that he wants Sochi to follow the example of Beijing which will be the first city to host a summer and winter games. Sochi would need to build many facilities to hold the games, although some indoor arenas from the Winter Olympics could conceivably be repurposed.
- On 6 October 2014, Suh Byung-Soo, the Mayor of Busan, has confirmed that the city will be planning to bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics, noting that the city has matured on its capacity for hosting global events, and that the city will announce its bid to the International Olympic Committee in 2020. The mayor also said that 2028 will mark the 40th anniversary of the 1988 Summer Olympics that were hosted in the South Korean capital city Seoul, and is the last Summer Olympics to be held in South Korea.
- Busan had planned to bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics in 2005. However, because Pyeongchang, South Korea won the 2018 Winter Olympics in 2011, officials pushed the bid to 2024 Summer Olympics, believing that the bid would be too close to each other as the same country. But in 2013, with Tokyo, Japan being awarded the 2020 Summer Olympics and the games again being in East Asia, Busan further pushed their bid to 2028. Busan also had thought of bidding for the 2016 Summer Olympics, but the city dropped the idea because of Pyeongchang's bid for the 2014 winter games.
- Officials in Busan said that the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo would help boost tourism in Busan if they were to host the 2028 Summer Olympics, and also state that they have several existing venues that could be used. Incheon has stated that as they improve their status as a city, they could be able to handle a co-hosted Olympic Games, since they could re-use their sport facilities.
- Busan hosted the 1997 East Asian Games, 2002 Asian Games, and acted as one of the venues for the 2002 FIFA World Cup. During the 1988 Summer Olympics hosted by Seoul, Busan was the site of the games' sailing (then yachting) events.
- Tunku Tan Sri Imran Tuanku Ja’afar, the president of Olympic Council of Malaysia have expressed his intention of having a dual host bid for 2028 or 2032."Doing it all on our own may be beyond us but under the new Olympic reform agenda, the IOC allow twin bids. I do see a joint bid between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore in the future,”  IOC president, Thomas Bach also have been reported of hoping the Olympics to be held in South-East Asia. Singapore National Olympic Council have been remarked that it was an "...interesting concept." Malaysia have since held a Commonwealth Games in 1998 while Singapore have held Youth Olympic Games in 2010. Both countries acknowledged that infrastructure is not a problem but lack of world class athletes and magnitude of the Games have been noted as problems of having a single host bid.
- In February 2016 Thani Al-Kuwari, secretary-general of the Qatar Olympic Committee, said that the country would unquestionably bid on a future Olympics. AFP reported that at a sports conference in Doha Al-Kuwari said, “The vision and the target is to host one of the Olympics one day. So we are hoping to have one day, you never know, Maybe 2028.” Doha bid for the 2016 and 2020 Olympics, both times it failed to become a candidate. Qatar hosted the 2015 World Men's Handball Championship, the 2015 AIBA World Boxing Championships and the 2015 IPC Athletics World Championships, and will host the 2023 FINA World Aquatics Championships, and 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- In March 2011, the Moroccan government confirmed that it would begin construction of an 80,000-seat stadium and will bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics instead of 2024.
- A number of Kenyan officials including Ochilo Ayacko (former Minister of Sports) to the former Prime Minister Raila Odinga and the former Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka have stated that they have intentions to bring the 2028 Summer Olympics to Kenya. To further their support, they have also appointed Moi International Sports Centre (MISC) in Kasarani, to take charge of the sport facilities in Kenya. The officials, however, also mentioned the considerable difficulties they were going to have to face with facilities and financing.
- International Business also stated that either both the 2024 Summer Olympics and the 2028 Summer Olympics Nairobi plans to bid on will be 'a long shot', according to Ed Hula, the chief editor of Around the Rings.
- The Boston Globe reported on 11 January 2015, that Johannesburg was continuing with their bid for the 2028 Summer Games. Johannesburg hosted the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final, and South Africa unsuccessfully bid for the 2004 Summer Olympics.
- Buenos Aires bid to host the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. It was stated that the successful bid could lead to a bid for the 2028 or 2032 Summer Olympic Games. The city also hosted the 125th IOC Session in 2013. Rio de Janeiro staged the first Summer Olympic Games in South America in 2016. Buenos Aires could potentially be the second city on the continent to stage the event. Buenos Aires bid to host the 1936, 1956, 1968, and 2004 Summer Olympics, but lost to Berlin, Melbourne, Mexico City and Athens respectively. On 4 July 2013 Buenos Aires was elected as the host city of the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. In July 2016, Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee, said that "Buenos Aires is able to present a successful bid for 2028".
- Brisbane is considering a bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics. The city has the backing of the AOC and has support from IOC vice president John Coates. The city hosted the 1982 Commonwealth Games, the 2001 Goodwill Games and the annual Brisbane International and State of Origin. Brisbane made a bid to host the 1992 Olympics, however they were awarded to Barcelona.
- On August 22, 2016, Brisbane consented to provide $870k to conduct a year-long Olympics feasibility study.
- The former Premier of Victoria, Denis Napthine, has backed a potential bid from Melbourne for the 2028 Summer Olympics. Melbourne hosted the 1956 Summer Olympics and the 2006 Commonwealth Games, and Australia hosted the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Melbourne had also unsuccessfully bid for the 1996 Summer Olympics, which were awarded to Atlanta in 1990. The AOC and IOC have preferenced Brisbane as being the next candidate city, however Melbourne would bid should Brisbane pull out of the race. If Brisbane bid and failed then Melbourne would move forward with a 2032 Olympics bid. Discussion has also raised the possibility of a joint Australia bid, staging the main event in Melbourne whilst co-hosting some outdoor events in Brisbane and Perth.
Cancelled potential bids
- Representative Wang Xiaoshu, a municipal political adviser in Shanghai, said that a Shanghai Olympics in 2028 would 'raise its profiles', improve Shanghai’s global influence, and that the city is “fully capable and must keep striving to become a platform for major international dialogues", and pointed out the Expo 2010 in Shanghai as an example. Wang also said that the Olympics in China 'would improve the society, culture, and the ecology in the city'. Wang said he'd like to see the Olympics take place as a celebration for the 80th anniversary for founding the People's Republic of China. However, Chen Deying, a Shanghai member in the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference said the otherwise, claiming that there are more necessary things to spend the nation's efforts and financial resources on such as the people's quality of life and economic investment rather than hosting a huge event such as the Summer Olympics. The Chinese capital of Beijing is to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, and previously hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics.
- A referendum took place in Vienna, from 7–9 March 2013. On 12 March 2013, Vienna's mayor Michael Häupl announced that nearly 72% voted against a bid and, as a result, Vienna will not bid for 2028.
- Hamburg planned to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, and if they failed, to re-bid again at 2028. On 16 March 2015, the German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB) chose Hamburg for the official bid for the International Olympic Committee. In November 2015 the city held a referendum on withdrawing the potential bid. A majority 51.6 percent of residents voted against bidding for the Games, with critics of the plan saying expected cost was too high.
- "Budapest a candidate city for 2028 Olympics". BBJ (Budapest Business Journal). Christian Keszthelyi. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- "Budapest Should Bid For 2028 Summer Games". Daily News Hungary. Daily News. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Advocate says 2028 Budapest Olympics possible". BBJ (Budapest Business Journal). David Landry. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Hollande falls out with Paris mayor over 2024 Olympics bid". RFI. RFI. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Berlin mayor: we are fit to host Olympics" (in German). The Local. 31 July 2012.
- "Ja in Hamburg, Jein in Berlin". Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Hamburg soll Olympia nach Deutschland holen". Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Giuseppe Sala sulla candidatura di Roma alle Olimpiadi. Il candidato sindaco del PD a Milano ha detto di essere favorevole alla loro organizzazione.". Retrieved 13 June 2016.
- "New Dutch government withdraws support for 2028 Olympic Games bid". Xinhua Net. Yan. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Amsterdam's 2028 Olympic ambitions "put to sleep" but could be revived later". Inside the Games. Paul Osborne. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "St. Petersburg Ready for World Combat Games, Considers 2024 Olympic Bid". Around the Rings. Mark Bisson. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Saint Petersburg 2028". RMA.ru. Mikhail Radko. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Russia's new 'sports capital' has Olympic ambitions". usatoday.com. USA Today. 2015-08-10. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Russia's Sochi suggested as host for 2024 Olympics". Washington Times. 2015-07-31. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Southern Port City of Busan to Bid for 2028 Summer Olympics". KBS World Radio. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Busan Postpones 2024 Summer Olympic Bid". GamesBids.com. GB Staffs. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Busan postpones 2024 Olympic and Paralympic bid following Tokyo 2020 win". Inside the Games. Gary Anderson. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "부산의 올림픽 유치는 득인가 실인가?". 국제신문. Song Hyun Jo. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "JO 2028 : La Corée du Sud en piste pour célébrer les 40 ans de Séoul 1988?". Sport & Société. Kevin Bernardi. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "Retracing Roots - Seoul 1988 Olympic Sailing Competition". AN OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE INTERNATIONAL SAILING FEDERATION. ISAF. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Rajes Paul (2015-07-27). "Malaysia could host the Olympics… with some neighbourly help". thestar.com.my. The Star Online. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Malaysia-Singapore Can Be Olympics Host, Have To Bid - Bach". malaysiandigest.com. 2015-07-28. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Malaysia, Singapore have to bid to become Olympics host, says IOC's Bach | Sports". Malay Mail Online. 2015-07-28. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Singapore-Malaysia joint bid for Olympic Games an 'interesting concept': SNOC". Channel NewsAsia. 2015-07-28. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "M'sia and S'pore can co-host Olympics, says Tunku Imran". Free Malaysia Today. 2015-07-28. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- "Doha Renews Interest in Olympic Bid As Early as 2028". GamesBids.com. 2016-02-10. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- "Morocco to bid for 2028 Summer Olympics". Chinese Olympic Committee. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "An Investigation Into Nairobi's Ability To Host The Olympic Games [in 2028]: A Case Study Of Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani". University of Nairobi: Digital Repository. Zein Alykhan Veiji. Retrieved 2013. Check date values in:
- "Today In Long Shots: Nairobi Casts Bid for 2024 Olympics". International Business Times. Maya Schwader. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Boston's Games will run rings around others". Boston Globe. Kevin Paul DuPont. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "Argentine Olympic Committee President hints at 2028 Summer Olympic bid". Insidethegames.biz. 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Buenos Aires elected as Host City for 2018 Youth Olympic Games". Olympic.org. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Thomas Bach: "Buenos Aires está en condiciones de ser exitosa para 2028"". La Nación. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- Hurst, Daniel (14 August 2012). "Newman backs Brisbane Olympics". Brisbane Times. Australia. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Moore, Tony (2016-08-23). "Brisbane to tip in $870,000 for Olympics feasibility study". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Melbourne urged to bid for 2028 Olympic Games". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Next Australian Bid Decades Away; Shanghai Weighs 2028". Around the Rings. Ed Hula III and Nick Devlin. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "How to raise Shanghai's profile? City must bid to host 2028 Olympics, official says". South China Morning Post. Darren Wee. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Shanghai should aim for 2028 Olympics, say attention-craved officials". Shanghaiist. Erik Krouch. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "上海申奥，该不该迈出第一步？Shanghai looks to host the 2028 Summer Olympics". SSPost. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Diese Fragen werden in Wien gestellt" (in German). derstandard.at. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Fast 72 Prozent gegen Bewerbung" (in German). sport.orf.at. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "Germany confirms bid to host 2024 Olympic Games - and 2028 if they fail first time". Inside the Games. Paul Osborne. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Huggler, Justin (30 November 2015). "Hamburg withdraws bid to host 2024 Olympics". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "2024 Olympics: Hamburg says 'No' to hosting Games". BBC News. 30 November 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "IOC reaches agreement for broadcast rights in Brazil with Grupo Globo through to 2032". International Olympic Committee. Olympic.org. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "IOC awards Olympic Games broadcast rights to NBCUniversal through to 2032". Olympic.org. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
|Summer Olympic Games
XXXIV Olympiad (2028)