Notable predictions and known events
- As of December 2009[update], the United States Census Bureau projects a world population of 8.4 billion by 2030.
- French demographist Emmanuel Todd predicts the level of literacy amongst the world population to reach near 100% by 2030.
- January 19, 2038 – 32-bit computer clocks overflow to represent the date as December 13, 1901.
- Plans are under discussion for a human mission to Mars by the middle of the decade.
- Gerontologist Aubrey de Grey predicts there is a "50/50 chance" of significantly extending the healthy human lifespan by around the year 2036.
- "Total Midyear Population for the World: 1950-2050". U.S. Census Bureau. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- Todd, Emmanuel (2003). After the Empire: The Breakdown of the American Order. New York: Columbia University Press. ISBN 0-231-13102-X.
- SPACE.com Staff (2011-08-31). "Space Agencies Set Roadmap for Manned Mars Mission". Space.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Health and Science Correspondent Kate Kelland. "Who wants to live forever? Scientist sees aging cured". Reuters. Retrieved 2013-01-10.