2036 (MMXXXVI) will be a leap year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2036th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 36th year of the 3rd millennium, the 36th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2030s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- April – A METI message Cosmic Call 2 sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, HIP 4872 star.
- April 13 – Between December 2004 and January 2013 it was unknown if the close approach of asteroid 99942 Apophis in April 2029 would lead to an impact on April 1, 2036. As of 2013 it has been known that Apophis will be no closer than about 14 million miles — and more likely miss Earth by something closer to 35 million miles in 2036.
- December 31 – Last date supported on the Android calendar.
- Aubrey De Grey predicts by around this year there is a 50/50 chance SENS Research Foundation and other indefinite life extension research will bring aging under a "decisive level of medical control"; paving the way for biological immortality in humans.
- The 64-bit timestamps used by NTP consist of a 32-bit part for seconds and a 32-bit part for fractional second, giving a time scale that rolls over every 232 seconds (136 years) and a theoretical resolution of 2−32 seconds (233 picoseconds). NTP uses an epoch of January 1, 1900, so the first roll over will be in 2036. This is explained more fully on the Year 2038 problem page.
- It is estimated that by the year 2036, there will be no veterans of the Second World War left with the last of the future Supercentenarian veterans passing away.
- Kelly Beatty (January 9, 2013). "Asteroid Apophis Takes a Pass in 2036". Sky & Telescope. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Support - Maximum year in Android Calendar - 2036". Retrieved April 15, 2018.
- W. Richard Stevens; Bill Fenner; Andrew M. Rudoff (2004). UNIX Network Programming. Addison-Wesley Professional. pp. 582–. ISBN 978-0-13-141155-5.
- "By the numbers: U.S. war veterans". CNN.com. 2013-06-05. Retrieved 2015-11-12.