Notable predictions and known events
- According to the United States Census Bureau, U.S. residents who identify themselves as being Hispanic or Latino, African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Native American will collectively outnumber those who identify as being white of non-Hispanic origin.
- August 12: A total solar eclipse will take place in the United States, producing a path from California to Florida. Some parts of Florida are predicted to experience totality for six minutes, the longest in US history.
- Ray Kurzweil in The Singularity Is Near places the emergence of the technological singularity in 2045.
- July 1: Hong Kong's special administrative status ends. According to Chapter I, Article 5 of Hong Kong's Basic Law, "The socialist system and policies shall not be practised in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, and the previous capitalist system and way of life shall remain unchanged for 50 years." The Basic Law was adopted in 1997; those 50 years come to an end in 2047.
- "High Power MPD Nuclear Electric Propulsion (NEP) for Artificial Gravity HOPE Missions to Callisto" trajectory.grc.nasa.gov
- Ortman, Jennifer M.; Guarneri, Christine E. (2009), "United States Population Projections: 2000 to 2050" (PDF), 2009 National Population Projections (PDF), United States of America: United States Census Bureau, retrieved February 16, 2010.