2042 (MMXLII) will be a common year starting on Wednesday (dominical letter E) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2042nd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 42nd year of the 3rd millennium, the 42nd year of the 21st century, and the 3rd year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- April 30 – A Nickelodeon time capsule, sealed in April 1992, will be opened.
- September 17 – A common computing representation of date and time on IBM mainframe systems will overflow with potential results similar to the year 2000 problem.
- The Trident D5 submarine-launched nuclear missile will be phased out.
- According to the United States Census Bureau, U.S. residents who identify themselves as being Hispanic or Latino, African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Native American will collectively outnumber those who identify as being white of non-Hispanic origin.
- On the ABC series Defying Gravity, the mission to Mars took place in this year, ten years before the Antares Mission in 2052.
- The Japanese version of Snatcher, a graphic adventure game originally released in 1988, is set in December 2042. The English localization of Snatcher moved the setting to 2047.
- Under a Killing Moon, a graphic adventure game released in 1994 is set in December 2042.
- Paul Levinson's The Plot to Save Socrates starts in 2042, from which the novel's time traveling characters embark on what the title says.
- Moscow 2042, novel by Vladimir Voinovich.
In popular culture
- Crezo, Adrienne (June 25, 2012). "Every item inside time capsule Nickelodeon buried in 1992". Mental Floss. Mental Floss, Inc. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- "U.S. Nuclear Modernization Programs". Arms Control Association. August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- Ortman, Jennifer M.; Guarneri, Christine E. (2009), "United States Population Projections: 2000 to 2050" (PDF), 2009 National Population Projections (PDF), United States of America: United States Census Bureau, retrieved February 16, 2010.
- "Comedy Listings for March 14-20". The New York Times. March 13, 2014.