2042 (MMXLII) will be a common year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2042nd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 42nd year of the 3rd millennium, the 42nd year of the 21st century, and the 3rd year of the 2040s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- April 30 – A Nickelodeon time capsule, sealed in April 1992, will be opened.
- September 17 – A common computing representation of date and time on IBM mainframe systems will overflow with potential results similar to the year 2000 problem.
- The Trident D5 submarine-launched nuclear missile will be phased out.
- According to a 2008 estimate by the United States Census Bureau, U.S. residents who identify themselves as being Hispanic or Latino, African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Native American will collectively outnumber those who identify as being white of non-Hispanic origin.
- Crezo, Adrienne (June 25, 2012). "Every item inside time capsule Nickelodeon buried in 1992". Mental Floss. Mental Floss, Inc. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- "U.S. Nuclear Modernization Programs". Arms Control Association. August 2016. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- Ortman, Jennifer M.; Guarneri, Christine E. (2009), "United States Population Projections: 2000 to 2050" (PDF), 2009 National Population Projections (PDF), United States of America: United States Census Bureau, retrieved February 16, 2010.