2053 (MMLIII) will be a common year starting on Wednesday (dominical letter E) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2053rd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 53rd year of the 3rd millennium, the 53rd year of the 21st century, and the 4th year of the 2050s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- The United States of America's armed forces are presumed to phase out the entire M1 Abrams fleet from service. By this time, the M1 Abrams will have seen 71 years of service with the U.S. Army and USMC. It will be presumably replaced by Main battle tanks or weapons systems resulting from either the cancelled GCV (Ground combat vehicle) program, or cancelled FCS (Future combat systems) program.
- 2053 sees the end of World War III, as given in Star Trek: First Contact. This was originally presumed to be the starting date for the War, but that was given as 2026 in the Star Trek: Enterprise two parter, "In a Mirror, Darkly". The currently given end year clouds logic over how in 2079, there is a postatomic horror directly attributed to the aftermath of World War Three (TNG episode "Encounter at Farpoint").
- The Sega CD game Rise of the Dragon is set in a dystopian cyberpunk version of Los Angeles in 2053.
- The Ray Bradbury short story, "The Pedestrian", takes place on a November 2053 evening.
- The Japanese computer animated film Planzet takes place in 2053.
- "Sentai Filmworks Licenses Planzet CG Anime Film". Anime News Network. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Planzet, Eden of the East II Films' Promos Streamed". Anime News Network. 2010-03-12. Retrieved 2012-02-07.