WWE 205 Live
|WWE 205 Live|
|Created by||Vince McMahon|
|Written by||Jonathan Baeckstrom (Lead Writer)|
See list of 205 Live creative writers
|Starring||205 Live roster|
|Opening theme||"Hail the Crown" by CFO$ featuring From Ashes to New|
"Legend" by CFO$ featuring Moosh and Twist (Bumper)
"Take a Stand" by CFO$ (Bumper)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||154 (as of November 15, 2019)|
|Camera setup||Multicamera setup|
|Running time||60 minutes|
30 minutes (January 16, 2018)
|Original network||WWE Network|
|Original release||November 29, 2016 –|
WWE 205 Live, also shortened to 205 Live (pronounced as "two-o-five live"), is a professional wrestling web television program produced by WWE, which features the promotion's cruiserweight division, the 205 Live brand, wherein all participants are billed at a maximum weight of 205 lbs. As of October 2019, the show currently airs Friday nights at 10/9 C on the WWE Network following Friday Night SmackDown's live broadcast on FOX.
The show premiered on the WWE Network on November 29, 2016, and originally aired following SmackDown on Tuesday nights. Talking Smack, which previously held the 10:00pm eastern time slot, moved to 11:00pm eastern following the debut of 205 Live until Talking Smack's cancellation in July 2017. In September 2018, the show moved to Wednesday nights at 7:00pm eastern time, just prior to NXT, but was no longer "live", with tapings occurring on Tuesday nights prior to SmackDown's live broadcast. On January 13, 2019, the show returned to a live broadcast and, until October 4, moved back to Tuesday nights at 10pm.
205 Live was established following the success of the Cruiserweight Classic tournament, to feature those who competed in the tournament and others who have become full-time members of WWE's cruiserweight division. Triple H, WWE executive producer and wrestler, stated the program was designed to serve as a showcase for the division, with its own distinctive feel and style compared to other WWE programming.
The Raw brand was originally established as the exclusive home of the division during the 2016 brand extension, with all cruiserweights being drafted to Raw during the 2016 WWE draft. Following the premiere of 205 Live, the cruiserweight wrestlers appear on both Raw and 205 Live, as well as making occasional appearances on NXT.
On November 7, 2017, the United Kingdom Division was invited to 205 Live. This would be the main roster debuts of most of the UK Division with the exception of Pete Dunne, who debuted the previous night on Raw.
In January 2018, Triple H took over the creative side of 205 Live. The first of the changes under Triple H was announced on January 23, with Daniel Bryan announcing that the first 205 Live general manager would be announced the following week. The GM was revealed to be Drake Maverick (formerly known as "Rockstar Spud" from Impact Wrestling). He announced a 16-man tournament for the vacant WWE Cruiserweight Championship, which was won by Cedric Alexander. Once the tournament begun, WWE's cruiserweight division began to wrestle exclusively on 205 Live and ceased to appear on Raw.
In September 2018, due to the second season of WWE Mixed Match Challenge, 205 Live went from a live format airing post-SmackDown to a pre-taped format (being taped before SmackDown goes live) and airing before NXT on Wednesdays at 7:00pm eastern.
Just prior to NXT moving to USA Network, NXT head Triple H spoke with Newsweek in September 2019 and said that "You'll start to see 205 [Live] begin to" become part of NXT. He said that 205 Live's talent would start moving towards NXT, that 205 Live had "become lost in [the] limbo", and that the Cruiserweight Championship would have more meaning on NXT where it could create more opportunities for the cruiserweight wrestlers. It was then reported that the NXT Creative Team would be in charge of 205 Live. The following month, the title began to be defended on NXT and was renamed to "NXT Cruiserweight Championship", becoming shared with the NXT brand.
On October 18, 2019, Drake Maverick – who himself was drafted to SmackDown but remaining as the General Manager of 205 Live – announced that following the 2019 WWE Draft, he had made a talent exchange agreement with NXT General Manager William Regal, whereby NXT wrestlers (who are within the 205 pound weight limit) could also wrestle on 205 Live.
On September 14, 2016, Triple H announced that the winner of the Cruiserweight Classic would not only receive a trophy, but would also receive the new WWE Cruiserweight Championship for the cruiserweight division on the Raw brand. Originally, the title was defended exclusively on Monday Night Raw, but on November 29, 2016, 205 Live was launched for the cruiserweight division, and for a time, the title was defended on both Raw and 205 Live, until 2018, when it became exclusive to the latter show - which would eventually become its own brand. In October 2019, the title became shared with the NXT brand and renamed to NXT Cruiserweight Championship.
|WWE Network||Tuesday 10 p.m. ET||November 29, 2016 – September 11, 2018|
|Wednesday 7 p.m. ET||September 19, 2018 – January 9, 2019|
|Tuesday 10 p.m. ET||January 15, 2019 – September 24, 2019|
|Friday 10 p.m. ET||October 11, 2019 – present|
|Authority figure||Position||Date started||Date finished||Notes|
|Drake Maverick||General Manager||January 30, 2018||present||Daniel Bryan announced Maverick as the new General Manager of the cruiserweight division on the January 30, 2018 episode of 205 Live|
|Commentators||Date started||Date finished|
|Mauro Ranallo, Corey Graves and Austin Aries||November 29, 2016||February 28, 2017|
|Mauro Ranallo and Corey Graves|
|Tom Phillips and Corey Graves||March 14, 2017||June 6, 2017|
|Vic Joseph and Corey Graves||June 13, 2017||August 29, 2017|
|Vic Joseph and Nigel McGuinness||September 5, 2017||September 19, 2017|
|October 3, 2017||April 3, 2018|
|Vic Joseph and Byron Saxton|
|Vic Joseph and Percy Watson||April 10, 2018||April 17, 2018|
|Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness and Percy Watson||April 24, 2018||June 12, 2018|
|June 26, 2018||January 22, 2019|
|Tom Phillips and Percy Watson|
|Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness, Percy Watson and Wale|
|Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness and Aiden English||January 22, 2019||April 16, 2019|
|May 21, 2019||June 11, 2019|
|June 25, 2019||July 16, 2019|
|July 30, 2019||August 20, 2019|
|Vic Joseph, Aiden English and David Otunga|
|Vic Joseph, Nigel McGuinness, Aiden English and David Otunga|
|Byron Saxton, Nigel McGuinness and Aiden English|
|Tom Phillips, Nigel McGuinness and Aiden English|
|Vic Joseph and Aiden English|
|Vic Joseph, Aiden English and Dio Maddin||September 10, 2019||September 24, 2019|
|Tom Phillips and Aiden English||October 11, 2019||present|
- ^ When McGuinness was absent at the time, he was filled in by SmackDown Live's Byron Saxton.
- ^ When McGuinness was absent for the birth of his daughter, he was filled in by his colleague from NXT Percy Watson for two weeks.
- ^ When Joseph and McGuinness were absent for the UK Championship Tournament, so both men were replaced by SmackDown Live's Tom Phillips.
- ^ When McGuinness was absent at the time, he was filled in by one of the pre-show panelists David Otunga.
- ^ When Joseph has been traded recently for Main Event, SmackDown Live's Byron Saxton fills in for him as play-by-play.
|Ring announcers||Date started||Date finished||Notes|
|Greg Hamilton||November 29, 2016||May 28, 2019||Ring announcer for Friday Night SmackDown|
|June 11, 2019||present|
- "Hail the Crown". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Legend". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Staff, WWE.com. "205 Live premieres Nov. 29 on WWE Network". WWE.com. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "WWE 205 Live moving to Fridays". wwe.com. Retrieved October 1, 2019.
- Atkin, Nicolas. "WWE announces new '205 Live' Cruiserweight show". ESPN. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- Schwartz, Nick. "WWE is launching a weekly cruiserweight division show called '205 Live'". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- Namako, Jason. "WWE announces new "205 Live" weekly Cruiserweight show on WWE Network beginning on November 29". Wrestleview. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "205 Live moving to Wednesday nights on WWE Network". 15 September 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "WWE 205 Live returns to Tuesday nights at 10/9 C". wwe.com. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- Csonka, Larry. "Triple H Conference Call Report: Discusses 205 Live, NXT Takeover: Toronto, Says HBK Working at the Performance Center and More". 411Mania.com. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
He was asked how tough it will be to make a new show in 205 stand out. H said that the talent and style will make it distinctive. He said that you will get to see them showcase their talent there. He referenced the Cruiserweight Classic and he said he would try and give it the feel that it had. He said that WWE does have a lot of programming, for sure.
- "Rich Swann def. The Brian Kendrick to become the new and third WWE Cruiserweight Champion". WWE.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "Vince McMahon Steps Aside And Puts Triple H In Charge Of 'WWE 205 Live' - WrestlingInc.com". Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "205 Live results: A GM to be announced next week". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- "WHY 205 LIVE STARS DISAPPEARED OFF RAW, WHY IMPACT CONTRACTED TALENTS CAN WRESTLE ANYWHERE AND MORE". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Casey, Connor (September 30, 2019). "WWE Confirms 205 Live Moving to Friday Nights". ComicBook.com. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- Martinez, Phillip (September 10, 2019). "TRIPLE H DISCUSSES NXT'S MOVE TO USA AND THE BRAND'S CONTINUED EVOLUTION". Newsweek. Retrieved September 12, 2019.
- Johnson, Mike (October 3, 2019). "CHANGE TO WWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE & MORE NXT NEWS". PWInsider. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- Csonka's 205 Live Review 10-18-19 - 411 Mania.com
- Vishwakoti, Anish (October 18, 2019). "10/18 WWE 205 Live results: Anish V's review of Tony Nese vs. Oney Lorcan vs. Ariya Daivari in a Triple Threat, Jack Gallagher vs. Brian Kendrick, The Singh Brothers vs. Justin Alexander and Justin Morris". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- "Triple H Brings Dayton Club Bouncer To WWE NXT, Santana Garrett's TV Debut, Mansoor On WWE 205 Live". Wrestling Inc. 2019-11-06. Retrieved 2019-11-11.
- "WWE 205 Live preview, Aug. 21, 2018 : Noam Dar and TJP look to settle the score". WWE. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WWE 205 Live.|