Jump to navigation Jump to search
- September 1, 2061 – A time capsule at St. Gabriel School in Biggar, Saskatchewan, Canada is scheduled to be opened for its 150th anniversary of its school division (Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools). It was sealed on September 11, 1911 (was not buried).
- The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is expected to be opened 100 years after it was locked in 1968.
- One third of the world's energy could be solar, according to projections by the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- Commercial mining of the Moon's elements could be economically feasible.
- Expected expiration of the Singapore-Malaysia Water Agreement.
- July 28 – Halley's Comet reaches its perihelion, the closest point to the Sun—the last return reached its perihelion on February 9, 1986.
- November 11 – Transit of Mercury
- November 22 12:45 UTC — Venus will occult Jupiter. It will be very difficult to observe from Earth, because the elongation of Venus and Jupiter from the Sun at this time will be only 7 degrees. This event will be the first occultation of a planet by another since January 3, 1818; however the next will occur less than two years later, on July 15, 2067.
- The UK is projected to have at least half a million people aged over 100.
- February 15 – Assuming no further extensions to the term of copyrights become law in the interim, all sound recordings fixed before February 15, 1972, will enter the public domain in the U.S.
- July 15 11:56 UTC — Mercury will occult Neptune. This rare event will be very difficult to observe from Earth.
- October – A METI message Cosmic Call 1 sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, star HD 178428.
- The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is expected to be opened 100 years after the time capsule was locked in 1968.
- According to futurist David Passig, there will be an undersea city by 2068.
- November – A METI message, Cosmic Call 1, sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar in 1999, arrives at its destination, 16 Cyg A star.
Religious and spiritual speculation
- Isaac Newton predicted that the world, according to his interpretation of the Bible, would end no sooner than 2060.
- The astrologer Dane Rudhyar, who was influential in the New Age movement, predicted in 1972 that the Age of Aquarius would begin in AD 2062.
- "News Highlights | Media Centre | World Future Energy Summit 2014 | 20 - 22 January 2014 | Abu Dhabi".
- "Moon mine 'could start in 50 years'". BBC News. January 2, 2012.
- "Young people 'more likely to reach 100 years old'". BBC News. August 4, 2011.
- "Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States, 1 January 2011". Cornell Law School. Retrieved September 15, 2011.
- Stephen D. Snobelen (March 2003). "Statement on the Date 2060". isaac-newton.org.
- "Newton set 2060 for end of world". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on October 20, 2007.
- Rudhyar, Dane Astrological Timing: The Transition to the New Age New York: 1972 Harper & Row