2061 (MMLXI) will be a common year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2061st year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 61st year of the 3rd millennium, the 61st year of the 21st century, and the 2nd year of the 2060s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- April 20 – A total solar eclipse will occur.
- July 28 – Halley's Comet reaches its perihelion, the closest point to the Sun—the last return reached its perihelion on February 9, 1986.
- October 13 – An annular solar eclipse will occur.
- December 31
- Expiration of the Singapore-Malaysia Water Agreement.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science completes an effort—begun in 1985—to "help all Americans become literate in science, mathematics, and technology," based on defined benchmarks.
- "Total Solar Eclipse of 2061 April 20". NASA.
- "Moon mine 'could start in 50 years'". BBC News. January 2, 2012.
- "Annular Solar Eclipse of 2061 October 13". NASA.
- "Programs: Education: Project 2061". American Association for the Advancement of Science. Retrieved December 5, 2013.