|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
2079 (MMLXXIX) will be a common year starting on Sunday (dominical letter A) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2079th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 79th year of the 3rd millennium, the 79th year of the 21st century, and the 10th and last year of the 2070s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- May 1 - A total solar eclipse is predicted for New York City in the United States, as well as Nova Scotia in Canada.
- June 6 - The smalldatetime fields in SQL-Server databases will wrap around to January 1, 1900.
- August 11 - Mercury occults Mars for the first time since 578. It is difficult to observe, but is the best observable occultation of a planet by another in the 21st century.
Television and film
- In the "Star Trek" universe, the maiden voyage for the crew of the USS Enterprise-D has them placed on (a re-vamped) trial in a Post-Atomic holocaust court; c. 2079.
- "NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2079 May 01". nasa.gov.