20th Century (cocktail)
The 20th Century is a cocktail created in 1937 by a British bartender named C.A. Tuck, and named in honor of the celebrated Twentieth Century Limited train which ran between New York City and Chicago from 1902 until 1967. The recipe was first published in 1937 in the Café Royal Cocktail Book by William J Tarling, President of the United Kingdom Bartenders' Guild and head bartender at the Café Royal.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces (1/3 gill, 4.5 cl) gin
- 3/4 ounce (1/6 gill, 2 cl) Kina Lillet
- 1/2 (or less, depending on taste) ounce (1/8 gill, 1.5 cl) light creme de cacao
- 3/4 ounce (1/6 gill, 2 cl) fresh lemon juice
Shake in an iced cocktail shaker, and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
- Tarling, William J. Café Royal Cocktail Book, Pall Mall, Ltd, 1937.
- Haigh, Ted. Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, Quarry Books, 2004.