20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery
|20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery|
A 20 STA Scan Eagle UAV being launched in Iraq during 2007
|Type||Surveillance and target acquisition|
|Part of||6th Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||Enoggera Barracks, Brisbane|
|Motto(s)||"Seek to Strike"|
|Equipment||RQ-7B Shadow 200|
|Unit Colour Patch|
The 20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery is an Australian Army Regiment which was raised in 2006. The Regiment is responsible for providing the Australian Army with artillery spotting and tactical reconnaissance. The Regiment is based at Gallipoli Barracks in Enoggera, Queensland.
All elements of the Regiment other than the 131st Surveillance and Target Acquisition Battery are currently being formed. The 132nd UAV Battery was to operate the Army's Israel Aircraft Industries I-View UAVs from 2010, but the acquisition of these UAVs was canceled in 2009. The Regiment currently operates Boeing ScanEagle UAVs, and has deployed UAV detachments to Iraq and Afghanistan.
On 1 March 2010, 20STA became part of the re-raised 6th Brigade. After the cancellation of the I-View, in August 2010 the AAI Shadow 200 was approved for purchase, with the first systems expected to be operating in Australian hands by the end of 2011.
The regiment consists of:
- Regimental Headquarters
- 131st Surveillance Target Acquisition Battery
- 132nd Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Battery
- Combat Service and Support Battery
- "20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiment". Department of Defence. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- Kelly, Emma; Egozi, Arie (4 September 2008). "Australia weighs tactical options after I-View UAV cancellation". Flight International. Retrieved 10 May 2009.
- Gaze, Jillian (18 March 2010). "Key to Adaptability". Army. Australian Army. Retrieved 20 March 2010.
- Australian Army Newspaper UAVs will raise STA profile
- Defence Material Office Project JP 129 - Airborne Surveillance For Land Operations