20th arrondissement of Paris
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|20th arrondissement of Paris|
|French municipal arrondissement|
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Frédérique Calandra|
|• Total||5.98 km2 (2.31 sq mi)|
|Population (8 March 1999 census)[p]|
|• Estimate (2005)||191,800|
|• Density||31,000/km2 (79,000/sq mi)|
|^[p] Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
The 20th arrondissement is also internationally known for the Père Lachaise Cemetery where one can find the tombs of many famous composers (such as Frédéric Chopin and Gioacchino Rossini), writers (including Oscar Wilde, Honoré de Balzac, and Marcel Proust), painters (Camille Pissarro, Jacques-Louis David, Eugène Delacroix, and others), musicians (Jim Morrison of The Doors and Edith Piaf among others), and the playwright Molière.
The land area of this arrondissement is 5.984 km2 (2.31 sq. miles, or 1,479 acres).
The population of Paris's 20th arrondissement peaked in 1936, when it had 208,115 inhabitants. Today it remains very dense in population and business activity with 182,952 inhabitants and 54,786 jobs as of the last census, in 1999.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km2)
|1936 (peak of population)||208,115||34,779|
Places of interest
Government and infrastructure
Senior high schools include:
- Lycée Hélène Boucher
- Lycée Maurice-Ravel
- Lycée Charles-de-Gaulle
- Lycée Beth Yacov
- Lycée Heikhal Menahem Sinaï
- "Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure (DGSE)". Service-public.fr (French government). Retrieved on 31 January 2014. "141, boulevard Mortier 75020 Paris"
- "Contact Archived 2012-09-18 at the Wayback Machine.." Charlie Hebdo. Retrieved on 21 September 2012. "Charlie Hebdo 26, rue Serpollet 75020 PARIS"
- 20th arrondissement travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Joining the Locals In Paris’s East – slideshow by The New York Times
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paris 20e arrondissement.|