211 West Fort Street
|211 West Fort Street|
|Location||211 West Fort Street
|Roof||367 ft (112 m)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Harley, Ellington, Cowin & Stirton|
211 West Fort Street is a 27-story skyscraper in Downtown Detroit, Michigan. Construction began in 1961, and finished in 1963. The building stands at the southeast corner of Fort Street and Washington Boulevard. It was constructed adjacent to the Detroit Trust Company Building, designed by Albert Kahn in 1915, as offices for the Detroit Bank and Trust Company, later known as Comerica. The bank occupied space in the building until 1993, when it moved to One Detroit Center. In the courtyard between the two buildings is a sculpture based on the bank's logo at the time.
The building currently houses offices for the Detroit Economic Club, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the United States Attorney and several other tenants.
The building is designed in the International style, with dark-tinted windows set into precast concrete frames. The frames project from the façade giving the building a distinctive grid pattern. Mechanical equipment is located on floors 8 and 27th floors. Floor 27 is double-height and enclosed by a wall recessed from the grid to create a colonnade which is illuminated at night. The building's address "211" is displayed along the roof line. This replaced earlier signs for Detroit Bank and Trust and Comerica. On the eighth floor, louvers replace glass in the concrete frames giving a uniform appearance to the façade from floors 2 through 26.
The two-story lobby is enclosed by glass and is recessed on the north and west sides allowing for a covered arcade on two sides. Elevator banks and other interior walls are covered by black granite and floors are travertine. The site slopes from north to south allowing for a service entrance and parking garage at street level facing Congress Street.
References and further reading
- Meyer, Katherine Mattingly and Martin C.P. McElroy with Introduction by W. Hawkins Ferry, Hon A.I.A. (1980). Detroit Architecture A.I.A. Guide Revised Edition. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1651-4.
- Hill, Eric J. and John Gallagher (2002). AIA Detroit: The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-3120-3.
- Sharoff, Robert (2005). American City: Detroit Architecture. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-3270-6.
- 211 West Fort Street official site
- Google Maps location of 211 West Fort Street
- 211 West Fort Street at Emporis.com
- SkyscraperPage.com's Profile on 211 West Fort Street