215 series in July 2002
|Manufacturer||Hitachi, Nippon Sharyo|
|Family name||Double Decker Liner|
|Number built||40 vehicles (4 sets)|
|Number in service||40 vehicles (4 sets)|
|Formation||10 cars per trainset|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||20,000 mm (65 ft 7 in)|
|Width||2,900 mm (9 ft 6 in)|
|Doors||2 per side|
|Maximum speed||120 km/h (75 mph)|
|Traction system||Resistor control + field system superimposed field excitation control|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC overhead catenary|
|Current collection method||PS24 pantograph|
|Safety system(s)||ATS-SN, ATS-P|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
All sets consist of 10 cars with only the two cars at each end motored. Cars 4 and 5 are "Green" (first class) cars.
|Numbering||KuMoHa 215||MoHa 214||SaHa 215-200[* 1]||SaRo 214||SaRo 215||SaHa 214||SaHa 214||SaHa 215-100[* 2]||MoHa 214-100||KuMoHa 215-100|
- Car 3 of Set NL1 is numbered SaHa 215-2.
- Car 8 of Set NL1 is numbered SaHa 215-1.
The first trainset was delivered in March 1992, and entered service from 4 April 1992 on Tōkaidō Main Line daytime Acty rapid services and evening Shōnan Liner services. Three more sets were delivered in October 1993.
From December 2001, the 215 series fleet was removed from Tōkaidō Line Acty services, and reassigned to new Shōnan-Shinjuku Line services between Shinjuku and Yokosuka. Their use on Shōnan-Shinjuku Line services continued until 16 October 2004, from which date all Shōnan-Shinjuku Line services were standardized with E231 series rolling stock.
From October 2004 onward, scheduled services using 215 series stock were limited to a small number of weekday Home Liner services, with only occasional holiday weekend workings, such as the Holiday Rapid View Yamanashi.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. pp. 267–268. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Saka, Masahiro (March 2014). "JR第1世代の車両・現況と概要" [JR 1st-generation rolling stock: Current situation and overview]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (in Japanese). Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 43 (359): 23.
- JR電車編成表 2011夏 [JR EMU Formations - Summer 2011]. Japan: JRR. May 2010. p. 80. ISBN 978-4-330-21211-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 215 series.|
- 215 series on JR East website (Japanese)