|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2014)|
|Also known as||The Others
|Genres||Garage rock, Psychedelic rock|
|Labels||Bone Voyage Recording Company|
22-Pistepirkko, (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈkɑkskytkɑks ˈpistepːirkːo]), is a Finnish popular music band formed in 1980. It was formed in a small rural village of Utajärvi in Northern Finland but moved to Helsinki, the capital of Finland, in 1985. The band now produces music in English, though at first their main language was Finnish.
Their early albums were inspired by rock and roll and underground icons like Bo Diddley and The Sonics, but they have developed their unique sound by adding other influences to their music. Today they play an unconventional but distinctive mixture of pop, punk, rock and electronica, and achieved this fusion before artists such as Primal Scream or Beck popularized this kind of sound.
During 22-Pistepirkko's 2001 European tour, director Andreas Haaning Christiansen traveled with the band and shot a documentary, Sleep good, rock well, which was released on DVD in 2005.
- Piano, rumpu ja kukka (1984)
- The Kings of Hong Kong (1987)
- Bare Bone Nest (1989)
- Big Lupu (1992)
- Rumble City, LaLa Land (1994)
- Zipcode (1996)
- Eleven (1998)
- Downhill City (1999)
- Rally of Love (2001)
- The Nature of 22-Pistepirkko (2002)
- Drops & Kicks (2005)
- (Well You Know) Stuff is like we yeah! (2008)
- Lime Green Delorean (2011)
- Monochromeset (2006, under the name The Others)
- The name of the band means a 22-spot ladybird (Psyllobora vigintiduopunctata). It was purposely chosen as the band name because it is essentially meaningless, and was intended to convey the notion that anyone could join in and enjoy their performance.
- The song She's So Shy appears on Swedish filmmaker Stefan Jarls movie From Misfits To Yuppies (part of the Mods Trilogy).
- The song I'm A Moon Around You appears on Canadian filmmaker Kate Melville's movie Picture Day.
|This article about a Finnish band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|