A 24-hour run is a form of ultramarathon, in which a competitor runs as far as they can in 24 hours. They are typically held on 1- to 2-mile loops or occasionally 400-meter tracks.
Top runners will often run 200 kilometres (124 mi) or more, depending on conditions, and the best can go beyond 270 kilometres (168 mi). Some participants will have a crew to help them, but others just set up a camp with all the gear and supplies they need near the starting area to access each loop. Often 24-hour events are combined with 6-, 12-, and 48-hour events. 24-hour runs have also been held in relay formats, with runners completing a mile each in succession for 24 hours. Often these events are not internationally sanctioned, and are more for charitable purposes.
The world records for the event on all surfaces are 262.19 km (162.919 miles) for women, set by Camille Herron of USA in 2018, and 303.506 km (188.590 miles) for men, set by Yiannis Kouros in 1997.
The IAU 24 Hour World Championship is the pinnacle of competition in the 24-hour run. The first IAU Individual Track Championships were held in San Giovanni Lupatoto, Verona, Italy on 22–23 September 2001.
The German website DUV lists 160 24-hour races that were scheduled for 2012, a figure that has doubled over the last 10 years. The longest running 24-hour race is the Self-Transcendence 24 Hour Race Ottawa, Canada which began in 1981.
A 24-hour race exclusively for youth was started in Hong Kong in 2010, and has continued annually (Running to Stop the Traffik).
- Bangor Daily News, Bangor, Maine, USA, Style Section, Page 17, "Marathon to raise money for American Cancer Society"
- "Camille Herron runs 162.9 miles and breaks 24hr world record". Fast Running. 2018-12-09. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- 'Running' April 1990,Volume 108, p.6
- All-Time Winners Archived 2015-04-02 at the Wayback Machine. International Association of Ultrarunners. Retrieved on 2015-03-21.
- Michiels, Paul & Milroy, Andy (2013-05-07). IAU 24 Hour Championships . Association of Road Running Statisticians. Retrieved on 2015-03-21.
- "Archived copy". Retrieved 2013-10-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 24-hour run.|
- 24-Hour Race news and events – Comprehensive worldwide 24 hour race calendar
- ULTRAmarathonRunning.com Global Ultramarathon Races & Events Calendar
- RunUltra.co.uk Global Ultramarathon Races and Events Calendar with runner reviews
- HR24 European 24 hour event
- Adelaide 24/ Adelaide 24 hour including 6 and 12 hour
|This athletics and track and field article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|