|Soundtrack album by A. R. Rahman|
|Released||11 April 2016|
Panchathan Record Inn, Chennai
A M Studios, Chennai
A R Studios, Mumbai
Panchathan Hollywood Studios, Los Angeles
|Producer||A. R. Rahman|
|A. R. Rahman chronology|
|Singles from 24|
24 is the soundtrack album, composed by A. R. Rahman with song lyrics by Vairamuthu and Madhan Karky, to the 2016 Tamil film of the same name, produced by Suriya and directed by Vikram Kumar. The film stars Suriya, Samantha Ruth Prabhu and Nithya Menen in lead roles. The album features six tracks, and was released on April 11, 2016 by Eros Music.
In November 2014, A. R. Rahman was announced as the film soundtrack and score composer. Rahman had a six-hour script narration session with Suriya and Vikram Kumar before signing the project. Recording of the track "Punnagaye" written by lyricist Vairamuthu was completed by February 2015. In an interview with The Hindu, Suriya told that recording of one more track was completed by September 2015. According to lyricist Madhan Karky, for the track "Naan Un": Rahman was trying out a tune on his piano and Karky was writing the lyrics while listening to him. He wrote a line in Tamil, "Undhan Azhagil Iraivanai Kaankiraen" that translates to, "In Your Beauty, I See God." An inspiration before composing tunes, Rahman had read the same line from the Prophetic books before composing that track. However, the track was initially composed for some other film. Later, it was reworked to suit the film soundtrack. An additional composition written by Madhan Karky titled, "Dangerskku Hi5 Podu, Daredevilkku Vaanam Podu." was as an intro song only in the film score. However, the track was released as a bonus single under the title "24 Carat" on May 17, 2016.
The original and Telugu versions of the album were released at separate events held at Sathyam Cinemas in Chennai and Shilpkala Vedika in Hyderabad respectively on April 11, 2016. At the launch of original version of the album, there were live performances of songs from the film. Singer Benny Dayal sang the track "Kaalam En Kadhali", followed by Chinmayi singing "Naan Un". Shakthisree Gopalan was next with the track "Aararoo" and the Telugu version "Laalijo" was sung by actress Nithya Menen with A. R. Rahman playing the keyboard.
Gulf News based critic Mythily Ramachandran stated: "A. R. Rahman’s music grows on you and is refreshing." Latha Srinivasan of DNA India mentioned: "A. R. Rahman's songs and score add tremendous value to this script as well." Sify quoted: "Rahman’s songs are big plus for the film and the maestro scores well in the BGM of Athreya’s sequences, especially in the pre-climax portion." Critical review board based at Behindwoods praised the music: "The score in typical A. R. Rahman style sets the mood right for the tale." Mani Prabhu of NDTV Movies called the songs "eye popping" that fits into the entertainment." Anupama Subramaniam of Deccan Chronicle stated: "AR Rahman’s background score elevates the proceedings while the songs are already a hit." Subha Shetty Saha of Mid Day stated that the film has "melodius music" by A. R. Rahman.
Critic S. Saraswathi of Rediff stated: "The beautifully composed songs by Rahman are well picturised, but act as speed breakers to the narrative." Sreedhar Pillai, in his review for Firstpost wrote: "A. R. Rahman’s background music is in sync with the theme of the film, though songs are barely hummable". In his review for The Indian Express, Goutham VS writes: "A R Rahman’s background score blended perfectly with the scenes, especially when Mani’s wonderstruck mind was seeking answers about the mysterious watch, but Rahman seems to have lost his magic when it comes to the songs." For his review to Filmibeat, Avinash Gopinath noted: "AR Rahman's music is not up to the mark. While background score is only average, his songs are made bearable by brilliant visuals."
Baradwaj Rangan, in his review for The Hindu, wrote that the numbers by A. R. Rahman are lead up to only for the film. M. Suganth of The Times of India wrote: "AR Rahman disappoints with a rather serviceable score." Arathi Kanan for the online newspaper Manorama wrote: "Rahman interludes are welcome. However, the routine placement of the songs are boring."
|24 (Tamil) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]|
|1.||"Naan Un"||Madhan Karky||Arijit Singh, Chinmayi||04:48|
|2.||"Mei Nigara"||Madhan Karky||Sid Sriram, Sanah Moidutty, Jonita Gandhi||05:16|
|3.||"Punnagaye"||Vairamuthu||Haricharan, Shashaa Tirupati||04:16|
|4.||"Aararoo"||Madhan Karky||Shakthisree Gopalan||03:41|
|5.||"My Twin Brother"||Vikram Kumar||Srinivasa Krishnan, Hriday Gattani,||03:28|
|6.||"Kaalam Yen Kadhali"||Vairamuthu||Benny Dayal, Shashwat Singh , Abhay Jodhpurkar||04:23|
|24 (Tamil) – Bonus track|
|1.||"24 Carat"||Madhan Karky||Arjun Chandy||03:40|
All lyrics written by Chandrabose, except track 5.
|24 (Telugu) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]|
|1.||"Prema Swaramulalo"||Hriday Gattani, Chinmayi||04:49|
|2.||"Manasuke"||Sid Sriram, Sanah Moidutty, Jonita Gandhi||05:17|
|3.||"Deivam Raasina Kavitha"||Haricharan, Jonita Gandhi||04:17|
|5.||"My Twin Brother"||Srinivasa Krishnan, Hriday Gattani||03:29|
|6.||"Kaalam Na Preyasile"||Benny Dayal||04:23|
|24 (Telugu) – Bonus track|
|1.||"24 Carat"||Madhan Karky||Arjun Chandy||03:40|
- Backing Vocals
Dr. Narayanan, D. Sathya Prakash, Nivas, Santhosh Hariharan, Deepak, Maalavika Sundar, Pooja Vaidyanath, Sharanya Srinivas, Sowmya Mahadevan, Suzanne D'Mello, S. Kousihan, Gary Mesquitta, Alan D'Souza, Hrishikesh Kamerkar, Lara Pinto, Keshia Braganza, Poorvi Koutish
- Strings: The Sunshine Chamber Group
- Indian Rhythm: T. Raja Kumar, Neelagandhan, Vedha, Chinna Prasad
- Flute: Kareem, Kamalakar
- Guitars: Keba Jeremiah
- Cello: V. Sekar
- Kora: Keba Jeremiah
- Record Producer: A. R. Rahman
- Mastering: Suresh Permal
- Strings conductor: V. J. Srinivasamurthy (at AM Studios, Chennai)
- Suresh Permal, Vinay Sridhar, Srinidhi Venkatesh, Karthik Sekaran, Vinay Sridhar (at Panchathan Record Inn, Chennai)
- S. Sivakumar, Pradeep Menon, Kannan Ganpat, Krishnan Subramanian, Karthik Sekaran (at AM Studios, Chennai)
- Nitish R. Kumar, Hari Krishnan (at A R Studios)
- Tony Joy, Kevin Doucette (at Panchathan Hollywood Studios)
- Mixing: T. R. Krishna Chetan, Nitish R. Kumar, Ishaan Chhabra
- Additional Programming: Hentry Kuruvilla, T. R. Krishna Chetan, Ishaan Chhabra, Jerry Vincent, Samir D. Santhosh
- Music co-ordinators: Noell James, Vijay Iyer
- Musicians' fixer: R. Samidurai
- "'Kaalam En Kadhali,' 'Kaalam Na Priyasi' songs from Suriya's '24' released Monday, AR Rahman's numbers take audience by storm". International Business Times, Indian Edition. 14 March 2016. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "24 Carat (Single from "24")". iTunes.
- "AR Rahman's 3rd for Suriya's 24 - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "Audio launch of Suriya's '24': Actor shares stage with dad Sivakumar and brother Karthi - Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "Samantha to join Suriya for 24". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "A peek behind the scenes". The Hindu. 10 September 2015. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Suriya's tales from a time machine". The Hindu. 2016-04-11. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "An Incredible Story From Inside A R Rahmans Studio - NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "IndiaGlitz - Suriya Samantha 24 a new intro song added to the film - Tamil Movie News". www.indiaglitz.com. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 Carat (From "24") - Single by A R Rahman & Arjun Chandy on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Ramachandran, Mythily (2016-04-13). "Look out for Suriya in triple roles in '24'". GulfNews. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- tabloid!, Mythily Ramachandran, Special to (2016-05-07). "'24' movie review: It's an entertaining ride with Suriya". GulfNews. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "'24' Tamil film review: Actor Suriya gives a stellar performance in this tale of time travel! | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dna. 2016-05-06. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 review: A well executed thinking movie". Sify. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 (aka) 24 The Movie review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 Movie Review - NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 movie review: A well executed and intelligently woven sci-fi thriller". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "'24' - Movie Review". mid-day. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "Review: 24 is an interesting thriller". Rediff. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "'24' review: Watch this racy thriller especially for Suriya's performance(s) - Firstpost". Firstpost. 2016-05-07. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 movie review: Suriya's 'Athreya' is a role to remember for years to come". The Indian Express. 2016-05-07. Archived from the original on 2017-01-15. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "'24' Movie Review & Rating: Suriya & Vikram Kumar Will Draft You Into The Future!". www.filmibeat.com. 2016-05-06. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24: An intelligent, joyous mix of sci-fi and masala-myth". The Hindu. 2016-05-06. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 movie review: The timely travel". ManoramaOnline. Retrieved 2016-05-08.
- "24 (Tamil) [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] - EP by A. R. Rahman on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- "24 (Telugu) (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP". iTunes India. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "24 Carat (Single from "24")". iTunes.
- Original Motion Picture Soundtrack—24 (Audio CD). A. R. Rahman. Eros Music. 2016. ASIN B01E84BBZG.