24 Commando Royal Engineers
|24 Commando Royal Engineers|
|Size||3 regular squadrons, 1 reserve squadron, 1 REME workshop|
|Part of||3 Commando Brigade|
|Lt Col Iain Lamont RE|
The regiment, which was formed in April 2008, is one of two British Army units attached to 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines, the other being 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery. It was announced on 4 July 2012 that 24 Commando Engineer Regiment was to disband under Army 2020. Members of the unit were to be dispersed to other British Army units and 59 Independent Commando Squadron would be re-formed to replace it. In a contrasting written statement on 10 April 2014, the Minister for Defence Mark Francois, stated that this withdrawal would not take place. The unit was to be retained but reduced in size.
In August 2014 it was agreed that 131 Independent Squadron would re-subordinate from 3 Commando Brigade to become part of 24 Commando Engineer Regiment. This change took place on 2 October 2015, making the regiment a hybrid Regular/Reserve unit, like its counterpart in 16 Air Assault Brigade, 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment.
The regimental structure is as follows:
56 Commando Headquarters and Support Squadron
54 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers was originally formed in 1950. In 2013 it became the second close support commando squadron of the unit, mirroring the structure of 59 Commando Squadron. It is now the high-readiness commando engineer squadron.
59 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers
59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers represented the Commando-trained, regular unit of the Corps until the formation of 24 Regiment in 2008. Soldiers were drawn from the regular units of the British Army's Corps of Royal Engineers. The squadron remains based at RMB Chivenor. It is now the Naval Support Squadron.
131 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers
131 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers was the Army Reserve unit affiliated to 3 Commando Brigade until 1 October 2015. The squadron formally became a full part of 24 Commando Engineer Regiment on 2 October 2015.
The Commando course
All individuals who volunteer to join the regiment have the opportunity to complete the thirteen-week All Arms Commando Course, after receiving pre-course coaching to develop their strength and endurance. Progressive in nature, this pre-course conditioning package focuses upon developing the individual to undertake the arduous activities of the Commando course.
The Green Beret
The coveted Green Beret, the distinctive hallmark of Commando trained troops, is worn by the regiment, recognising those who have completed the grueling and physically demanding tests of endurance, whilst displaying the Commando spirit. On passing the Commando course, other ranks (ORs) wear the Commando Green Beret with a blackened Royal Engineers cap-badge, whilst officers wear the officers' flaming grenade cap-badge with a green base material, sewn onto the Commando Green Beret.
Other uniform emblems
Both officers and ORs wear the Army Commando shoulder titles on each sleeve, which have replaced the All-Arms Commando badge (a small red dagger on a dark blue background) on the upper left sleeve in No. 8 Temperate Combat Dress, (PCS-CU) uniform only. All other orders of dress retain the All-Arms Commando badge. The Royal Engineers stable belt is differentiated by a Commando Dagger emblem on the clasp. Additionally, the 3 Commando Brigade RM Tactical Recognition Flash, (TRF) a black Commando Dagger on an olive green square, is worn on the left arm of shirt and combat jacket.
- "Transforming the British Army" (PDF). Reserve Forces and Cadets Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 June 2013.
- "Disbanded, but not going away entirely". North Devon Journal. Retrieved 17 April 2016.[dead link]
- "House of Commons Hansard Ministerial Statements for 10 Apr 2014 (pt 0001)". Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "131 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "56 Commando Squadron". British Army units 1945 on. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "56 Squadron". 24 Commando Twitter Account. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "54 Squadron". British Army units 1945 on. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "54 Squadron". 24 Commando Twitter Account. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers". Elite UK Forces. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "59 Squadron". 24 Commando Twitter Account. Retrieved 7 September 2019.
- "24 Commando Regiment". Elite UK Forces. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "3 Commando Brigade DDPM Windproof Smock". Hatch Five. Retrieved 26 May 2018.