24 Mani Neram
|24 Mani Neram|
|Produced by||S. N. S. Thirumal|
|Edited by||B. Kandasamy|
24 Mani Neram (transl. 24 Hours) is a 1984 Indian Tamil-language thriller film written and directed by Manivannan, starring Mohan, Sathyaraj, Nalini, and Jaishankar. The music was composed by Ilaiyaraaja with editing by B. Kandasamy and cinematography by A. Sabapathi. The film released on 18 July 1984 and is considered by critics as one of the best thriller films of Tamil cinema. The film was commercially successful and ran for 27 weeks. The movie was remade in Kannada in 1989 as Jayabheri.
X. W. Ramarathinam (Sathyaraj) is a billionaire womaniser who rapes and kills the girls he likes. One day, he sees Janaki (Nalini) with her husband Raj (Mohan) on their wedding day in his own grand hotel. He initially indirectly tries to pursue Janaki to be his concubine. He complaints to his husband who is a reporter. Ramarathinam comes to know of this and rapes and kills Janaki. He also frames Raj for this. Raj swears to kill Ramarathinam within 24 hours. When Ramarathinam kills his own PA, Swapna's brother, who is his henchmen for not finishing off Mohan. She swears revenge. But somehow, Ramarathinam comes to know this. Instead of killing her first, he first rapes her and then kills her. Finally, Raj kills Ramarathinam within 24 hours as per his revenge.
- Mohan as Raj
- Sathyaraj as X. W. Ramarathnam
- Nalini as Janaki
- Jaishankar as Vijay
- Vadivukkarasi as Lakshmi, Raj's Mother
- Swapna as Swapna
- Ilavarasi as Rekha
- Chinni Jayanth as Seenu
- Senthil as Senthil
- Jyothi Lakshmi in a special appearance
- Jayamalini in a special appearance
- Anuradha in a special appearance
- Vasu as Jail Pandiyan (uncredited)
- Bayilvan Ranganathan as Marutha Muthu
|24 Mani Neram|
|Film score by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||E C H O|
|Producer||S. N. S. Thirumal|
|1||"Kulikkum Pothile"||Malaysia Vasudevan, S. Janaki||Pulavar Puthumaipithen|
|2||"College Ponavararaa"||S. Janaki, S. P. Sailaja||Pulavar Puthumaipithen|
The film's success meant that 24 Mani Neram is considered among the most significant projects for actors Mohan, Sathyaraj, Nalini. The film was remade in Kannada as Jayabheri (1989) starring Shankar Nag.
- Bhaskar, Prashant. "Tribute to Manivannan". Behindwoods. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "மறக்க முடியுமா? - மவுன ராகம்". Dinamalar.
- "Happy Birthday, Mohan: 'Payanangal Mudivathillai' to 'Mouna Ragam', six films of the lovable star that had a Silver Jubilee in theaters". The Times of India. 23 August 2020.
- Sunil, K. P. (29 November 1987). "The Anti-Hero". The Illustrated Weekly of India. Vol. 108. The Times Group. pp. 40–41.
- "மொட்டைத் தலையுடன் சத்யராஜ் நடித்த நூறாவது நாள்". maalaimalar.com (in Tamil). 8 August 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "24 Mani Neram Tamil FIlm EP Vinyl Record by Ilayaraja". Mossymart. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- Kesavan, N. (14 April 2016). "Villains with heroic pasts". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- Balasubramaniam, Balaji. "Nooraavadhu Naal". BBthots. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "ஒரே வருடத்தில் மோகன் 15 படங்கள்; ஒரேநாளில் 3 படம் ரிலீஸ்; அத்தனையும் ஹிட்". Hindu Tamil Thisai (in Tamil). Retrieved 21 September 2020.