24h vélo de Louvain-la-Neuve
Les 24 heures vélo de Louvain-la-Neuve (English: the 24-hour bike ride of Louvain-la-Neuve) is a Belgian festival organized by students from the University of Louvain (UCLouvain) held every year during October in Louvain-la-Neuve. The main event is a 24-hour bicycle relay race spanning the whole city, surrounded by the crowd during various music concerts and parties.
It is said that the event gathers more than fifty thousand people and that it is the second largest "beer event" in Europe after the Oktoberfest. Approximately, 2000 students are involved in the organisation of Les 24 heures vélo de Louvain-la-Neuve.
In 2006, the 30th edition of the event took place from 25 to 26 October.
The 2008 event passed without major incident, with between 45,000 and 50,000 people attending.
In 2012, the event took place from 24 to 25 October. About 40,000 people attended, but it was relatively trouble-free, with only 23 arrests, less than the previous year.
- "Les 24 h vélo de Louvain-la-Neuve sous le soleil" (in French). Le Soir. 23 October 2008. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "Louvain-la-Neuve: départ le 21 octobre pour les 24 heures vélo" (in French). RTBF. 4 October 2009. Archived from the original on 16 October 2009. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "Plus de 40.000 personnes aux 24 heures vélo" (in French). 7sur7. 22 October 2009. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "24h vélo: un des fêtards peut-être paralysé" (in French). RTL. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "Une nuit assez calme aux 24 heures vélo de Louvain-la-Neuve" (in French). RTBF. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- CSE Animations, organisateur des 24 heures vélo - organisers site (in French)
- Official website (in French) which gathers all the current needed information
|This cycling-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|