25 Minutes to Go
|"25 Minutes to Go"|
|Song by Shel Silverstein from the album Inside Folk Songs|
|Inside Folk Songs track listing|
The song is literally "gallows humor", as it is sung by a man awaiting his own execution by hanging. Each verse consists of two lines, of which the first line is anything from humorous to poignant, and the second line is a minute-by-minute countdown.
- Well they're buildin' the gallows outside my cell.
- I got 25 minutes to go.
- And the whole town's waitin' just to hear me yell.
- I got 24 minutes to go.
The song is similar in concept to Silverstein's children's song "Boa Constrictor": It presents the point of view of someone who is experiencing a calamity in "real time," composing and singing as the events unfold, with a fatal conclusion. "Boa Constrictor", like "25 Minutes to Go", appeared on Silverstein's 1962 album Inside Folk Songs.
- Brothers Four, on their 1963 album Cross Country Concert
- Johnny Cash on his 1965 album Sings the Ballads of the True West and on his 1968 live album, At Folsom Prison
- Danish Singer Povl Dissing with the band Beefeaters - 25 Minutter endnu (1967 single)
- Flemish singer Will Tura from Belgium as "20 minuten geduld" in 1968.
- Swedish folk singer sv:Ewert Ljusberg on Goknul (1972).
- American avant-garde singer Diamanda Galás on Malediction & Prayer (1998, Asphodel Records).
- British cult band Tiger Lillies on 2 Penny Opera (2001).
- American country/rock band Pine Valley Cosmonauts on The Executioner's Last Songs (2002).
- German metal band Dezperadoz on their third album An Eye for an Eye.
- German singer Gunter Gabriel on his Album The Tennessee-Recordings (2003).
- American rock band Pearl Jam on their 2004 album Live at Benaroya Hall.
- Canadian band Head of the Herd on their first album On the House 
- Berlin-based band Dangerpony (Laura Bruce, Laurent Lavolé and others) https://soundcloud.com/dangerpony/25-minutes-to-go
- "Inside Folk Songs - Shel Silverstein | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Archived from the original on 30 November 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Cover: Johnny Cash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvR7ZUjaJk
- On the House- Head of the Herd https://soundcloud.com/headoftheherd/sets/on-the-house
- Cover: Head of the Herd https://soundcloud.com/headoftheherd/12-25-minutes-to-go
|This 1960s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|