This article does not cite any sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|265 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1018|
|Balinese saka calendar||186–187|
|Chinese calendar||甲申年 (Wood Monkey)|
2961 or 2901
— to —
乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)
2962 or 2902
|Coptic calendar||−19 – −18|
|- Vikram Samvat||321–322|
|- Shaka Samvat||186–187|
|- Kali Yuga||3365–3366|
|Iranian calendar||357 BP – 356 BP|
|Islamic calendar||368 BH – 367 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1647 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||576/577 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||807–808|
391 or 10 or −762
— to —
392 or 11 or −761
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 265.|
Year 265 (CCLXV) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Valerianus and Lucillus (or, less frequently, year 1018 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 265 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Gallienus tries twice to crush the usurper Postumus, but on the first occasion Aureolus, commander of the elite cavalry, carelessly lets him escape. The second time, Gallienus sustains an arrow wound and has to break off his siege of a Gallic town where Postumus has holed up. He makes no other serious attempt to overcome his rival, devotes his attention to the political and military problems in the Danube and eastern parts of the Roman Empire.
- Postumus makes no move to march on Rome and claim his territory south of Gaul.
- Gallienus gives the order to fortify Milan and Verona.
- Gallienus repels the invasion of the Goths in the Balkans.
- A general of Gallienus' army, Victorinus, defects to Postumus.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2017)
- September 6 – Sima Zhao, Chinese regent of the Cao Wei state (b. 211)
- Ma Jun, Chinese engineer and inventor of the south-pointing chariot (approximate date)
- Empress Zhu, Chinese empress of the Eastern Wu state