26th Regiment Royal Artillery
|26th Regiment Royal Artillery|
|Active||1947 to Present|
|Part of||1st Artillery Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||Mansergh Barracks, Westfalen Garrison|
|Nickname(s)||The West Midland Gunners|
|Equipment||AS-90 self-propelled guns|
26th Regiment Royal Artillery is a regiment of the Royal Artillery in the British Army. It currently serves in the armoured field artillery role, and is equipped with the AS-90 self-propelled gun and one battery with GMLRS.
The regiment was formed from 4th Field Regiment RA in 1947. It saw action in Malaya later that year and deployed to Libya in 1951. It was renamed 26th Airportable Regiment RA in 1962 and re-equipped with 105mm Pack Howitzers. In 1963, it was renamed 26th Medium Regiment RA and re-equipped with 5.5" Howitzers and then deployed to Cyprus. It moved to Hohne in 1965 and was renamed 26th Field Regiment RA when it re-equipped with the Abbot self propelled gun.
In the 1970s, it saw tours in Northern Ireland during the Troubles and during the 1980s it was based at Baker Barracks with a tour of Belize in 1987 followed by Northern Ireland in 1990. The Regiment was moved out to Mansergh Barracks, Gutersloh, Germany and was equipped once again with the Abbot. At the onset of the Kuwait invasion by Iraq, the Regiment took charge of M109 howitzer artillery and was deployed as part of Operation Granby with 1st Armored Division during the 1991 gulf war. On return to Mansergh Barracks, the Regiment again had tours of Northern Ireland before changing roles once more and being issued AS90 in 1994. The regiment was deployed to Bosnia and Herzegovina the following year. Units went to Kosovo in 2000, took part in the 2003 invasion of Iraq and was deployed to Afghanistan under Operation Herrick 9 in 2008. Most recently, 16 (Sandham's Company) Battery deployed on Operation CABRIT 1, NATO's Enhanced Forward Presence in Estonia, in March 2017.
The batteries are as follows:
- 19 (Gibraltar 1779 - 1783) Battery
- 55 (The Residency) Headquarters Battery
- 132 Battery (The Bengal Rocket Troop)
- 159 (Colenso) Battery
- 176 (Abu Klea) Battery Royal Artillery
26th Regiment Royal Artillery Association
In 1993, the association was formed to enable serving and ex serving members of the regiment to meet bi-annually. Since then, the association has grown in membership and currently has approximately 500 full members. The association's website is intended to reach people in all parts of the world that either serve or have served in 26th Regiment Royal Artillery, whatever their cap badge might have been.
- "26th Regiment Royal Artillery". British Army units 1945 on. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "British soldiers with Challenger 2 tanks and AS90 artillery howitzers are deployed in Estonia". Defence and Security News. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "26th Regiment Royal Artillery". Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Rob Olver (2015-02-09). "Artillery Regiment Says Farewell to 137 (Java) Battery". Forces TV. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- "Gunners complete live fire exercise with AS90 - British Army Website". Army.mod.uk. 2016-02-24. Retrieved 2016-12-23.
- 26th Regt RA Association
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 26th Regiment, Royal Artillery.|