From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Decades:||2600s 2610s 2620s 2630s 2640s
2650s 2660s 2670s 2680s 2690s
- 2640 : Performance of musical piece Organ²/ASLSP (As SLow aS Possible) that started in 2001 will come to an end.
List of the long total solar eclipses
- August 28, 2603 : Solar eclipse, (6 min 02 s), of saros 164.
- September 8, 2621 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 45 s), of saros 164.
- September 19, 2639 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 28 s), of saros 164.
- May 17, 2645 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 17 s), of saros 148.
- September 29, 2657 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 11 s), of saros 164.
- May 29, 2663 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 07 s), of saros 148.
- June 28, 2671 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 07 s), of saros 157.
- July 9, 2689 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 31 s), of saros 157.
- December 16, 2603: Transit of Venus.
- May 13, 2608: Grazing transit of Mercury.
- December 13, 2611: Partial transit of Venus.
- 2626/2627: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn.
- 2629: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn.
- February 16, 2649: At 11:17 UTC Venus will occult Neptune.
- September 3, 2650 : The distance between Mars and the Earth will reach a remarkable new minimum of 55 651 582.118 km. It will be a slightly closer encounter by perihelic opposition (by 37 000 km) than the previous one of the August 28, 2287. The following closer encounter will be on September 8, 2729.
- 2655/2656: Triple conjunction Jupiter-Saturn.
- 2663: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn.
- 2699/2700: Triple conjunctions between Mars-Jupiter, Mars-Neptune and Jupiter-Neptune.
Science fiction set in the 27th century
- The 1937 novel Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin takes place in the 27th Century, seven hundred years after Adolf Hitler's rise to power.
- Battle for the Planet of the Apes's prologue and epilogue, which flashes back to the early-21st century for its titular story.
- Jerzy Żuławski's classic trilogy of novels The Lunar Trilogy are set in the 27th Century in which a race of moon dwarves search for a route back to Earth through spiritual enlightenment. Written in 1901–1911, the trilogy is one of the greatest works of Polish science fiction.
- The Night's Dawn Trilogy books by Peter F. Hamilton, consisting of The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God, are set in the year 2611.
- Roberto Bolaño in his novel Los Detectives Salvajes, through one of the main characters, Cesarea Tinajero (original founder of the real visceralismo poetry society) envisions the 27th century as a time when some dark events will happen in the north of Mexico. In 2666, Bolaño's last novel, he describes hundreds of rapes and murders in the north of Mexico, most likely linked with the events written in Los Detectives Salvajes.
- In the video game series Wing Commander, the Terran Confederation, following five years of raids against their shipping by the Kilrathi, officially declares war on July 5, 2634. The war continues until 2669, with the Confederation emerging as the victor. In 2681 the insectoid enemy Nephilim appear and war breaks out, with the Confederation again the victor. The events detailed in the games take place from the mid to late 27th century.
- Most of the F-Zero series, one of Nintendo's video game franchises, take place during the early 27th century.
- In the Bill & Ted movies (Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey), the "future scenes" take place in 2688 and 2691, respectively.
- Several characters in the Star Trek universe originate from this century (Vorgons from the Next Generation episode Captain's Holiday).
- The Contra series of video games (with the exception of Contra Force and Neo Contra) is set during this century. The original American localizations of the titles prior to Contra III: The Alien Wars changed the setting from the future to the present.
- The video game Earthsiege 2 begins in the year 2624, with the Earth having been in a major global war against a self-controlled AI called "Prometheus".
- The events of the video game series AquaNox take place in the mid-27th century.
- The events of the Xbox 360 video game Project Sylpheed take place in 2632.
- In The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (1955), it is in the late 27th century that the researches of Jan Verdeer and the mathematician Antoine Lefebvre realize the exploitation of "temporal field" technology some three centuries after its mysterious empirical discovery by an eccentric inventor in the 24th. Temporal engineers could now generate a field of "physiotime", or Eternity, a realm outside of normal time, large enough to enclose men and equipment, and use it to reach into the future. This, coupled with the discovery that they could secretly alter the course of human events without affecting themselves, enables their control over the next 69,973 centuries of human history.
- The events of sci-fi films Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick are set in the 27th century.
- Arthur (TV series) The Secret Origin of Supernova is Set in the Year 2612
- In the Futurama episode "When Aliens Attack", Leela states that in the early 2600s the State of New York elected a super villain as governor. He spent most of his time stealing famous world monuments and even added his face to Mt. Rushmore. Also, in the episode "A Big Piece of Garbage", the Professor says that in 2620, astronomers renamed Uranus "Urectum" to end "the stupid Uranus joke once and for all". Also, in 2636, Mars University is founded on the planet Mars.
- In Fringe's fifth-season episode "The Boy Must Live", the character Windmark time travels to Manhattan in the year 2609, depicted as a bleak, dystopian world populated by an evolved race of highly intelligent but emotionless humans deemed "the Observers" by the show's protagonists.
- The 639 year long performance of John Cage's organ work As Slow As Possible (begun in 2001) is scheduled to finish at the St. Burchardi Church in Halberstadt, Germany in 2640.
- Solar eclipse of August 28, 2603
- Solar eclipse of September 8, 2621
- Solar eclipse of September 19, 2639
- Solar eclipse of May 17, 2645
- Solar eclipse of September 29, 2657
- Solar eclipse of May 29, 2663
- Solar eclipse of June 28, 2671
- Solar eclipse of July 9, 2689
- [meteorite-list] Mars Makes Closest Approach In Nearly 60,000 Years, by Ron Baalke, on Friday August 22, 2003 at 09:04:54 -0700