|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|288 BC by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||288 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||466|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXXIII dynasty, 36|
|- Pharaoh||Ptolemy I Soter, 36|
|Ancient Greek era||123rd Olympiad (victor)¹|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||壬申年 (Water Monkey)|
2409 or 2349
— to —
癸酉年 (Water Rooster)
2410 or 2350
|Coptic calendar||−571 – −570|
|Ethiopian calendar||−295 – −294|
|- Vikram Samvat||−231 – −230|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2813–2814|
|Iranian calendar||909 BP – 908 BP|
|Islamic calendar||937 BH – 936 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2199 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||24/25 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||255–256|
−161 or −542 or −1314
— to —
−160 or −541 or −1313
Year 288 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. At the time it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Tremulus and Arvina (or, less frequently, year 466 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 288 BC for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- The Macedonian King, Demetrius Poliorcetes, faces a combined attack from Lysimachus and Phyrrhus, king of Epirus, after Seleucus, Ptolemy and Lysimachus form a coalition to block plans by Demetrius to invade Asia Minor. Ptolemy's fleet appears off Greece, inciting the cities to revolt.
- Athens revolts and Demetrius besieges the city. Pyrrhus takes Thessaly and the western half of Macedonia and, with the assistance of Ptolemy's fleet, relieves Athens from Demetrius' siege.
- After the Egyptian fleet participates decisively in the liberation of Athens from Macedonian occupation, Ptolemy obtains the protectorate over the League of Islanders, which includes most of the Greek islands in the Aegean Sea. Egypt's maritime supremacy in the Mediterranean in the ensuing decades is based on this alliance.
- Following the death of Agathocles, some of his disbanded mercenaries seize Messana in northeast Sicily and set up a society, calling themselves Mamertines (Sons of Mars). The city becomes a base from which they will ravage the Sicilian countryside.
- The Sri Maha Bodhi Sacred Fig tree is planted at Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka. This is the earliest known planting date for any planted tree still surviving.
- King Zhao of Qin and King Min of Qi took the title "Di", (帝 literally emperor), of the west and east respectively. They swore a covenant and started planning an attack on Zhao.
Archimedes was born in 288 BC in Syracuse, Italy.