28th Genie Awards
|28th Genie Awards|
|Date||March 3, 2008|
|Site||Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Toronto, Ontario|
|Hosted by||Sandra Oh|
|Best Picture||Away from Her|
|Most awards||Away from Her, Eastern Promises|
|Most nominations||Eastern Promises, Shake Hands with the Devil|
The 28th Genie Awards were held on March 3, 2008 to honour films released in 2007. The ceremony was held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The show was broadcast on E! and Independent Film Channel and hosted by Sandra Oh.
The nominations for 2008 faced some controversy when director Jason Reitman issued a statement expressing his disappointment that the hit film Juno, which had a Canadian director, Canadian stars (Ellen Page and Michael Cera) and a Canadian crew, and was filmed in Canada, did not qualify for a nomination. Sara Morton, the head of the Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television, issued a statement indicating that the film — which was produced by an American film studio — had not been submitted for Genie Award consideration.
- Eastern Promises and Shake Hands with the Devil - 12
- Away from Her - 7
- The Tracey Fragments - 6
- Continental, A Film without Guns and Silk - 5
- Days of Darkness - 4
- "Reitman's film Juno never applied for Genie Awards", cbc.ca, February 29, 2008.
- "2008 Genie Nominees". Toronto Star. 2008-01-28. Archived from the original on 30 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "Eastern Promises and Shake hands With The Devil Lead in 2008 Genie Award Nominations" (PDF). Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television. 2008-01-28. p. 4. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "Polley's Away From Her triumphs at Genie Awards". CBC Arts. 2008-03-04. Archived from the original on 5 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-04.